Port forwarding Sky Router gives homeowners like you several benefits.
Although this technique is unknown to many people, learning this can give you a better gaming experience.
But that does not mean regular users cannot enjoy its advantages.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about port forwarding.
We will look into its significance and the essential steps before you can try it out at home.
Sky Port Forwarding
One of Sky’s most remarkable innovations is its highly practical set of internet routers.
Unknown to a couple of people, these devices play a massive role in protecting your home network.
Every router they have in the market functions like a firewall that blocks your connection from malicious and unwanted traffic.
Photo Credit : portforward
However, there are cases where several applications and games would require a good connection from your home network.
In such instances, the best thing you can do is conduct a Sky port forwarding.
Doing this technique will allow you to open any available port in your internet router and give you the best gaming and surfing experience at home.
Port Forwarding Sky Router Steps
Many people may find it challenging to do a port forwarding on their Sky routers.
But do not fret because we have your back covered!
If you are ready, then try out the following steps below to open your ports in no time.
Step 1 – Create A Static IP Address
Before port forwarding your Sky router, the first step you should do is to set up a static IP address in your device.
Doing this technique will allow your ports to remain open even after you disconnect or do a quick reboot.
Setting up a static IP address is relatively easy. All you would need is to do the following on your devices:
For Windows 10
- Launch the Command Prompt menu and type in ipconfig/all.
- Afterward, take note of your IPv4 address, DNS servers, and Subnet Mask.
- Close the Command Prompt, then launch the Control Panel.
- Access the View Network Status and Tasks menu and click on Change Adapter Settings.
- Open properties and select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option.
- When you see the pop-up menu, press the Obtain An IP Address Automatically option to set up your static IP address.
For Mac OS
- Visit the System Preferences menu and click on the Internet & Network menu.
- Press Network and select Configure IPv4 and the Manually option.
Step 2 – Log-In To Your Sky Router
Once you have set up your static IP address, the next step you need to do is sign in to your Sky router.
You can follow these steps to guide you:
- Open your web browser and enter 192.168.0.1 in your address bar.
- When prompted, type in your Sky router’s username and password.
- The default details are admin (username) and Sky (password).
- Afterward, press the log-in button.
If you are having a challenging time signing in to your router with the default username and password, you might need to reset your device to return to its factory settings.
Step 3 – Make A Services Entry
Once you see the Sky router homepage, press the Services option under the Security tab.
Now, you can create your very own Services entry.
Doing so will allow you to open a port on your router for the device or application you want.
Follow these Steps to guide you:
- Press the Add Service button and type in any name in the available Name field. We suggest you put the name of the device or application you are forwarding for ease.
- Afterward, select the Both option under the Protocol field. If your router does not have this, choose TCP and UDP.
- Type in the port number you are trying to forward. You can go to this website for a list of available port numbers.
- Lastly, press the Apply and Save button located below the page.
Step 4 – Adjust Your Firewall Rules
Once you have created your very own Services entry, you should then go to the Firewall Rules menu found at the top of your screen.
On this page, you would be able to forward your Services entry to an address.
Follow these steps to learn how you can do this technique effortlessly:
- Locate the Inbound Services Add option below the page and select the service you recently created from the previous step.
- Select the Action drop-down menu and enable the Allow Always option.
- Type in your static IP address in the Destination IPv4 LAN field and 0.0.0.0 in the External IP Addresses bar.
- Select the Any option from the Access From drop-down box and press the Apply and Save button below the page.
Step 5 – Test Your Ports
Once you have done the steps above, the last thing you should do is to check whether your ports are working.
You can use various port checkers online like Port Checkers or Can You See Me. All you would need is your IP address and your port number.
Port Forwarding Issues
If you have trouble port forwarding your Sky router, you can try out the following techniques before contacting Sky’s customer support:
If your DMZ is enabled, it can override all your port forwarding efforts. Hence, we recommend you check whether you have this option disabled.
Reboot or Hard Reset Your Router
After port forwarding your device, you can try rebooting your Sky router to apply any changes you have made. But if your issue persists, you can also perform a hard reset.
Learning how to port forward an application or device on your Sky router allows you to get the best gaming and surfing experience at the palm of your hands.
However, remember to close any unused ports on your router to prevent malicious and unwanted internet traffic.
We hope this article guides you throughout the entire process at home.