Orbi satellite not found in the Orbi app, and you’re wondering why? Well, this guide is for you!
When an Orbi satellite is synced with the Orbi router, you can check the device’s connection in the Orbi app to justify whether everything works well.
If your Orbi satellite is “not found” in the app, perhaps the sync between the devices is disconnected, so you must check all possibilities.
If the Orbi satellite is not found relocate the satellite closer and attempt the syncing process again. Next update your Orbi router system, soft reset the entire mesh network and verify your broadband.
Let’s continue to unwrap!
Why is My Orbi “Satellite Not Found”?
There are many reasons why the Orbi satellite can’t connect to the Orbi router and doesn’t show up in the Orbi app.
So, let’s unwrap all the different causes to ease up the troubleshooting later!
Here’s why Orbi satellite can’t connect to the Orbi router:
How to View Connected Orbi Satellites?
There are two general ways to check which of your Orbi satellites are connected to the router and whether they are found or not.
To view connected Orbi satellites, you must use the Network Map or the Device Manager in the Orbi mobile application.
Method #1 Orbi App – Device Manager:
- Open the Orbi application.
- The Dashboard will show.
- Tap on “Device Manager.”
- All your satellites will show.
Method #2 Orbi App – Networking Map:
- Open your Orbi phone app.
- The Dashboard must appear.
- Press on the “Network Map.”
- A device topology will appear.
- Select your Orbi router’s tab.
- Connected satellites will show.
If the Orbi satellite is not found, there are many causes, so let’s jump into the troubleshooting!
How to Fix When Orbi Satellite Not Found? – Quick Solutions!
Tip: Try all the solutions below!
1. Move Orbi Closer to the Router
The first and fundamental step when your Orbi satellite is not found in the router’s networking list would be to move the satellite closer.
The distance between both devices is crucial for the connection, and if the space is too large, the devices may experience communication issues.
- We recommend plugging your Orbi satellite within 10 feet of the router!
When the Orbi satellite is relocated to the new spot, closer to the router, turn on the device and wait for a couple of minutes for the connection to resume.
Then, go into your router’s settings to check whether the Orbi satellite is now appearing.
If not, continue with the correct way to sync the Orbi satellite to the router…
2. Sync Orbi Satellite to the Router
One of the main reasons the Orbi satellite is “not found” is due to failed sync.
An Orbi satellite connects to a wireless router via WPS (Sync button) and does not require any additional steps.
However, if you’ve tried to sync the Orbi satellite from a distant room in your home, perhaps the connection failed because of any physical or wireless interference.
However, the solution is simple now that your Orbi satellite is closer to the router, so let’s sync both devices correctly!
Here’s how to sync the Orbi satellite to the Orbi router in easy steps:
- First, verify that your Orbi satellite is close to the router.
- Then, ensure that both devices are currently turned ON.
- Then, press the “Sync” button on the Orbi wireless router.
- Within 2 minutes, press the “Sync” button on the satellite.
When you press the “Sync” button on the satellite, both devices will now attempt to connect, and if the setup is successful, the Orbi satellite must show a solid blue light.
The light will remain on for about 180 seconds, and in the meantime, you may see whether the satellite is now “found.”
3. Soft Reset Your Orbi Installation
If your Orbi satellites are not syncing with the router and do not appear in the Orbi app, you may need to reboot your entire Orbi system.
The best method to soft reset the Orbi equipment is the power cycle, which does not delete anything from your setup and will not unpair the satellites!
- To power cycle your Orbi router/satellite, press the Power button to turn off the device and unplug the power cord on both sides for 60 seconds.
When the power circulation is over, you may reconnect your devices to power, turn them on, and wait for the wireless connection to commence.
However, if you don’t see a solid blue light on your Orbi satellite, the device is not connected to the Orbi router.
Reminder: Use the steps previously shown in the guide to sync your Orbi satellite!
4. Verify the Broadband Connection
If your Orbi satellite is “not found,” and you can’t see the device connected to the Orbi router, you must verify that the broadband connection is intact.
If your entire network is currently down and offline, your Orbi app will not display any devices, and you’ll be left wondering why!
The broadband connection is basically the internet service you receive from your supplier, meaning that if your router is offline, the satellites will be too.
To verify the integrity of your broadband connection, follow the tips below:
- Test your broadband on an Ethernet-connected device.
- Run a free internet speed test to check consistency.
- Reconnect the service cable on the back of your router.
- The Wi-Fi may be congested, so relieve some bandwidth.
- Switch to another Wi-Fi channel to optimize performance.
- Dislocate the router/satellite away from large appliances.
When you’re confident that your broadband connection is intact, verify that your mobile phone is connected to your Orbi router and open the Orbi app.
If the Orbi satellite is still not found, your mobile may be auto-bouncing from Wi-Fi to Mobile Data due to a weak or insufficient signal.
Tip: To prevent auto-bouncing from Wi-Fi to Mobile Data on your phone, disable your cellular data from the settings.
5. Update the Orbi Router Firmware
The firmware version of your Orbi router plays a vital role in the connection with the satellites, so if outdated, the devices may not be found.
So, the next step is to update your Orbi router from the Orbi app, which takes a couple of minutes if your broadband connection is currently intact.
Here’s how to update Orbi router’s firmware in easy steps:
- Connect the mobile to the Orbi router’s Wi-Fi.
- Then, open the Orbi mobile app and sign in.
- Press on the “Menu” tile in the top-left corner.
- Go to “Settings” and then “Router Settings.”
- Finally, go down and tap “Check for Updates.”
Your broadband connection will temporarily go offline, hence, all of your Orbi satellites will lose Wi-Fi connectivity.
For the time being, remain patient while the Orbi router updates the firmware, and then check whether your satellites are now appearing.
Reminder: If your Orbi satellites are still not found, retry the pairing process!
6. Factory Reset Your Orbi Satellite
If you experience issues with only one of your Orbi satellites, chances are that your Orbi system is working fine, but the particular satellite is facing software problems.
The simple solution that will resolve your problem is the factory reset on your satellite, providing you with a fresh startup.
Here’s how to factory reset your Orbi satellite in easy steps:
- First, verify that your Orbi satellite is plugged in.
- Locate the Reset button pinhole on the bottom.
- Acquire any sharp object, such as a paperclip.
- Reach within the pinhole into the Reset button.
- Press and hold the Reset button for 10 seconds.
This will factory reset your Orbi satellite, which may take up to 3 minutes.
You must wait until the process is completed and then re-sync the Orbi satellite with the router using the “Sync” button.
Reminder: When connected to the router Orbi satellite must be showing solid blue light!
Hence, when the Orbi satellite is not found in the app, you must relocate the satellite closer to the router and retry the syncing process.
Additionally, you may need to update the OS of the router, troubleshoot broadband issues, and factory reset the problematic satellite.
Follow us for much more Orbi satellite guides!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.