If your Orbi satellite not syncing keep reading, because we have the best solution!
It is not uncommon when your brand-new Orbi satellite may refuse to sync, but with the proper explanation and walkthrough, the problem is easily-solvable.
Let’s continue to unwrap!
When the Orbi satellite is not syncing straight away, it could be due to an issue with the router or even the power supply of the satellite.
It is necessary to correctly perform the first-time Orbi setup and have your satellite close to the router while syncing!
Why Is Orbi Outdoor Satellite Not Syncing?
Your Orbi outdoor satellite must remain synced with the network router in order to constantly keep the extended network online.
If the syncing between the devices fails, your extended WiFi network will become offline and none of the connected devices will have access to WiFi.
Here are the top reasons preventing your Orbi satellite from syncing:
- There’s an ongoing issue with the Orbi network router
- A power issues with the Orbi satellite device/power outlet
- You’ve undergone improper first-time setup of the satellite
- Too many Orbi satellites are already synced to the router
- There’s a temporal issue on Orbi (Netgear)’s end currently
Your Orbi satellite must be placed next to the router throughout the entire guide.
It is of great necessity to keep the devices close to one another while attempting to sync them as the connection happens via WPS, where distance plays a vital role.
Note: The recommended distance between the Orbi router and the satellite is about 5 meters!
Orbi Router and Satellite Not Syncing – 7 Working Solutions!
Note: Pay attention to all of our tips, notes, and alerts!
1. Retry the First-Time Setup
In most cases where your Orbi outdoor satellite won’t sync with the router, it is because you have done something wrong during the first-time setup.
If you’ve already had the Orbi satellite for a while now and it has been working at some point, move on to the next solution!
- You will need a PC or a laptop for performing a first-time Orbi setup!
How to Setup an Orbi Satellite for the First Time?
Note: Keep in mind that executing the first-time setup correctly will automatically sync your Orbi satellite to the router!
- Place your outdoor satellite near the Orbi router.
- Connect the power adapter of the satellite to power.
- Power off your satellite with the power button if it turns on.
- Tap and hold the Sync button located on the satellite.
- While holding “Sync”, tap and release “On/Off – Power”.
- Wait for the bottom light LED to blink in blue.
- From a PC/laptop, connect to NETGEAR_EXT.
- Visit myWiFiext.net through a mobile browser.
- Follow the prompts to set up your Orbi satellite.
Notice: In order to manage your Orbi satellite’ settings and configuration during the first-time setup, you must first connect with the device via a PC or a laptop!
2. Manually Sync your Orbi Devices
If the first-time setup didn’t sync the Orbi router with the satellite, it is possible to manually sync the devices, using the “Sync” button.
The Orbi router and each add-on satellite you add to the setup have a “Sync” button that allows for instant pairing between the devices.
Here’s how to sync the Orbi router with the satellite in easy steps:
- Place your Orbi satellite next to the router and plug the device in.
- Locate and press the “Sync” button on the Orbi router first.
- In the next 60 seconds, press the “Sync” button on the Orbi satellite.
- Wait for the behavior of the LED light on your Orbi satellite to change.
Info: Orbi satellites indicate successful syncing when the LED light on the front panel of the devices is turned in solid blue.
It means that it has successfully paired with the router.
3. Power Cycle your Orbi Satellite
If there’s a temporal issue with your Orbi satellite, the best thing to do is perform a power cycle.
This is an advanced type of reboot that will discharge any power in your Orbi satellite and resolve any connectivity, software, and hardware issues that are impacting the functionality.
- To achieve a power cycle on your Orbi satellite, you must unplug the device!
Follow these instructions to power cycle your Orbi satellite:
- Unplug the Orbi satellite from the power source.
- Press and hold the “Power On/Off” button.
- Keep holding the power button for 15 seconds.
- Let go of the power button and plug in the satellite.
- Press the power button to turn on the satellite.
Note: Unplugging your satellite for short periods of time, especially during the summer, could also help with overheating issues with the hardware!
4. Reset the Orbi Satellite
Sometimes the Orbi satellite not syncing due to a temporal OS fault and the entire issue can be easily fixed by a simple reset of the hardware and software.
There’s a pinhole on the back of the Orbi satellite that allows for a quick factory reset of the device.
Alert: Resetting your Orbi satellite will erase any custom configurations made to the device and any settings manually adjusted by you!
Follow these steps to factory reset your Orbi satellite in easy steps:
- Acquire a sharp and thin object to reset your Orbi satellite.
- Locate the reset pinhole on the back of your Orbi satellite.
- Insert the object into the pinhole on the back of the device.
- Hold the reset button inside of the pinhole for 5 seconds.
- Keep holding the button until the LED pulses in white.
- Let go of the reset button and wait for the satellite to reset.
Note: Once the LED light of the Orbi satellite flashes in white color, it means that the reset has started.
Stop interacting with the satellite until the LED stops blinking.
5. Check the Power of the Orbi Satellite
If your Orbi satellite is constantly rebooting or shutting down for obvious reasons, it could be due to power fluctuations somewhere in the power equipment.
There are a few critical points in the power supply of your Orbi satellite that could cause constant fluctuations with the satellite.
How to Inspect Orbi Satellite Power Equipment?
Examine the following things in the setup of your Orbi satellite:
✅ The power cable
Verify that the hardware of your Orbi satellite’s power cable looks undamaged, there are no rips, cuts, or exposed parts of the wires inside the cable
✅ The power port
Check if the power port on your Orbi satellite is obstructed, damaged or there is debris inside, preventing the power cable from going in all the way
✅ The power source
Plug your Orbi satellite into an alternative power source to check if there was a problem with the electrical supply in the previous one
Alert: Any issues with the Orbi equipment should be reported to schedule a checkup of the equipment or potentially a repair!
6. Reduce the Number of Satellites
There’s a particular limit as to how many satellites you can sync with the Orbi router.
You can connect and use up to 6 Orbi satellites with your router at the highest speeds, without any slow-downs in the connection or similar connectivity issues.
- You will be unable to add more satellites when you already have six!
Info: To add a new satellite when you have 6 already connected, you must unpair one of the current satellites and proceed to sync your newest satellite piece.
7. Factory Reset the Orbi Router!
The most drastic measure when the Orbi satellite is not syncing is to factory reset the Orbi router.
It’s a practical solution that targets both software/hardware issues with the Orbi device and can fix syncing issues on the satellite’s end.
Here’s how to factory reset an Orbi router easily:
- Insert a paperclip into the pinhole of the Orbi router.
- Press the reset button inside for at least 10 seconds.
- Wait for the router to blink in amber and get reset.
Alert: These steps will erase all network configurations, and settings and also disconnect all of your added satellites.
The best solution when the Orbi satellite not syncing is to power cycle the device and undergo the initial setup all over again.
If the device is still failing to sync, check if there’s a problem with the Orbi router, reset your satellite, and inspect the power supply.
Follow us for more helpful Orbi satellite and router content!
Read Next: How to Fix Orbi Satellite Ethernet Ports Not Working?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.