Wondering why is Optus webmail not working? Stay with us throughout the guide to know!
Once you’re subscribed to OptusNet, you can connect the webmail with any compatible mail applications available for Windows and macOS.
A fault with the webmail is typically related to improperly configured mail server settings or a problem with the Optus login credentials.
To resolve issues with the Optus webmail, inspect the internet connection of the viewing device and correct the outgoing and incoming server settings.
Let’s learn more!
Optus Webmail Not Sending/Receiving?
Here’s why the Optus webmail server is not working correctly:
Optus Outgoing Mail Server Not Working?
The outgoing mail server of any webmail allows the user to establish external connections to users by sending mail and downloading the user’s replies.
Improperly configured settings of the outgoing mail server will prevent your Optus mail from sending any messages or text content.
In contrast, the incoming mail server webmail enables users to receive emails and download the content.
If there’s a misconfiguration, similar to the outgoing mail server, you’ll face issues.
Optus Webmail Not Working – Quick & Easy Solutions
Tip: Follow the steps and instructions consecutively!
1. Inspect the Internet Connection
An unstable or fluctuating internet connection could cause issues with the Optus webmail or temporarily revoke your access.
Re-adding the viewing device from the associated Wi-Fi or Ethernet network may improve the connection and will resolve underlying installation issues.
How to Reconnect Device From Wi-Fi (Desktop & Mobile)
- Open the “Wi-Fi” settings tab on your desktop or mobile device.
- Locate your Wi-Fi in the network list and tap on “Disconnect.”
- Next, deactivate the Wi-Fi feature of your PC or mobile device.
- Wait for 30 seconds and re-activate the device’s Wi-Fi feature.
- Connect with your home’s Wi-Fi network from the Wi-Fi listings.
How to Reconnect Device from Ethernet (Desktop Only)
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the back of the PC.
- Disconnect the other end from the network router.
- Wait for 30 seconds while the Ethernet is unplugged.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to a yellow router port.
- Test the Ethernet connection of your computer device.
Tip: Report further connectivity issues with your network to the internet service provider!
2. Correct the Optus Webmail Settings
A typical solution whenever the Optus outgoing mail server not working is to re-configure the settings of your Optus webmail.
Improperly assigned outgoing or incoming mail server settings will disallow communication with webmail users externally and receive the redirected emails.
How to Set up Optus Mail On Microsoft Outlook 365 (Windows)
- Open “Outlook,” tap “File” from the bar and choose “Add Account.”
- Insert your Optus webmail address and go to “Advanced Options.”
- Check the “Let me set up my account manually” checkbox below.
- Select “IMAP” and fill out the following fields before saving the server:
- Mail outgoing server: mail.optusnet.com.au.
- Mail incoming server: mail.optusnet.com.au.
- Username: [your OptusNet username].
- Password: [your OptusNet email password].
How to Set up Optus Mail On macOS (MacBook & iMac)
- Open the Mail system application available on your Mac.
- Click “Preferences” and then tap on “Accounts” below.
- Click on the “+” button to assign a new webmail account.
- Next, insert your Optus email, password and username.
- Before you can create, adjust the following webmail settings:
- Account type: IMAP
- Description: OptusNet
- Incoming Mail Server: mail.optusnet.com.au
- Registered Optus username and password.
- Outgoing mail server: mail.optusnet.com.au.
After saving the corrections of Optus’s mail servers, attempt to download an email reply or send an outgoing mail.
Also, remember that the incoming mail server is responsible for supplying the messages to your inbox, and the outgoing server is responsible for sending your messages.
3. Recover the Optus User ID & Password
A potential discrepancy or an issue with your OptusNet user ID and password could prevent you from accessing the mail or completing the verification check when sending content.
So, the next step is to receive the user ID profile of your OptusNet registration and reset the password key.
How to Reset Optus Credentials Via My Optus App?
- Open the “My Optus app” on your mobile device.
- Next, click “Log in” and select “Forgot your details.”
- Tap “Forgot your email” or “Forgot your password.”
- Fill out the required credentials for ID/password reset.
- Follow the on-screen Optus instructions for recovery.
How to Reset Optus Credentials Via a Call/Live Chat?
You can reset the Optus webmail credentials in the following methods:
- By calling Optus customer support at 133 937
- By contacting the Optus Customer Support
Tip: Use the temporary password to perform a password reset at Optus’s recovery system!
4. Check if the Email Limit is Exceeded
All Optus webmail has a set limit of 500 megabytes of content, and exceeding that allowance will prevent you from receiving further emails.
Upon reaching the webmail’s storage allowance, you will automatically receive a warning message to erase expired emails and data.
How to Release Storage On Optus Webmail?
- Sign into your Optus webmail on a computer or PC device.
- Go to “Spam” and determine which emails are unnecessary.
- Checkbox all emails that will be deleted and select “Delete.”
- From the side menu tab, navigate to the “Deleted Items” tile.
- Checkbox all of the content in the menu and press “Delete.”
- Finally, go to “Sent Folders” and erase unnecessary folders.
Uninstalling all spam emails and sent folders should reduce the webmail’s storage enough to make it eligible for receiving newly sent messages.
To start significantly reducing the occupied storage of the webmail, uninstall messages from the homepage of the Optus webmail account.
Tip: To prevent exceeding the storage again, delete mails you’ve read and don’t need.
5. Reinstall the Mail Application
If Optus’s servers are working correctly, the fault could be with the default mail application of your device associated with the webmail.
So, the next step is to reinstall the mail application on your device through the content store to address issues with the integrity of your system files.
How to Reinstall the “Mail” App On Windows?
- Open the Microsoft Store on your computer Windows device.
- Search for “Mail and Calendar” through the app’s search field.
- Go to the three dots icon and click on the “Uninstall” button.
- Wait for 30 seconds and press “Install” once it becomes blue.
- Wait until the default mail application is reinstalled on the PC.
How to Reinstall the “Mail” App on macOS?
- Open the Launchpad and access the “Applications” folder.
- Locate the “Mail” app in the section and hold it until it jiggles.
- Select the “X” (Delete) button to uninstall the application.
- Power off your Mac and start the device in recovery mode.
- Select the “reinstall macOS, but keep information” button.
When the mail app is reinstalled, test whether Optus’s webmail is now working.
Info: To reinstall the Mail app after removing it, the Mac must be started in recovery!
6. Check Your Optus Account Status
Your account may have been suspended or deactivated if you cannot send or receive messages through the Optus webmail.
An account status suspension is typically a result of the following:
- Unpaid subscription fees.
- Unidentified mail access.
- Main inactivity restrictions.
How to Check Optus Subscription Fees?
To pay the pending Optus subscription fees, use the My Optus app available for smartphones or the Optus website.
So, here are the possible Optus payment methods:
- “My Optus App” – Open “My Optus App” and go to Billing → “Setup Direct Debit,” choose a preferred payment method, click on “Setup” and follow the instructions.
- “Optus Website” – Access the Optus website through your mobile device or computer, sign in to your account and go to “Billing.” Specify a payment method to proceed.
Note: Your account will be deactivated three days after not completing an expired payment.
Unwanted Optus Account Access?
If your Optus account has been stolen or hijacked, it may take Optus up to 48 hours to restrict the intruder and protect your information.
You can contact an Optus mail operator at 133 937.
To fix when the Optus webmail not working, check if your device is securely connected to Wi-Fi or Ethernet and recover your OptusNet ID.
If the problem persists, configure the Optus incoming/outgoing server settings and check for storage or account limitations.
Follow us for more Optus troubleshooting!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.