When the NOW TV remote not pairing, you first have to figure out which type of NOW remote control you’ve got.
NOW, TVs come with two different types of remote, and each remote works differently, so in this short guide, we’ll help you identify the type and troubleshoot accordingly.
- Usually, the NOW TV remote pairs automatically when you install new batteries in the remote and set up the Smart Box or Smart Stick.
If your NOW TV remote is not pairing, unplug the entire set-up of the NOW TV for 5 seconds, then reinsert the batteries in the remote.
If you’re still having trouble pairing your Now TV remote, let’s perform troubleshooting!
First, Identify Your Remote Type!
There are two types of NOW TV remote controls:
- If you’ve got a NOW Smart Stick or Smart Box with 4K and Voice Search – You’ll have a Smart or enhanced remote control.
- If you’ve got a black NOW TV Box or Smart Box with a Freeview – You’ll have a Standard IR remote control.
Both remotes work quite differently from one another, and for better orientation throughout the guide, it is recommended to know your remote’s type. So, without further ado, let’s jump right in!
Smart NOW TV Remote Not Pairing? – Simple Solutions!
If your smart remote is not pairing, it could be due to a system bug or dead remote batteries.
However, it is crucial to note that your Smart remote pairs over a wireless network, this means you don’t need to directly point it towards your Smart box or stick for the remote control to work.
So, if your Smart remote is not pairing, try the following methods!
1. Restart Your Smart Box & Remote!
Sometimes, temporary bugs or issues with the TV Box/ Stick or remote can restrict them from pairing and responding to the other coordinate devices.
In this case, power cycling the Now TV Smart box and remote control works wonders and typically fixes most pairing-related problems.
Here is how you can power cycle your Now TV box and remote:
- Grab your NOW TV remote and remove the batteries.
- Remove your TV stick or box from the electrical outlet.
- Leave your devices unplugged for at least 5 minutes.
- Then, reconnect the TV stick or box directly to power.
- Wait until the TV powers on and shows the main screen.
- After that, put the batteries back in the NOW TV remote.
Wait for a minute until the connection between devices is re-established. Then, check to see if your NOW TV remote is pairing.
Tip: Try discharging the remote while the batteries are out by pressing all buttons on the remote control for 3 seconds each!
2. Re-Pair Your Smart Remote
If your NOW TV remote won’t pair even after running a power circulation on the entire setup, it’s time to manually re-pair it.
This is possible by using the default “Pairing” button from the battery compartment of your remote.
To re-pair your Now TV remote, follow these steps:
- First, open the NOW remote battery compartment.
- Then, eject the 2 x AAA batteries from the remote.
- Disconnect the Smart Stick or Box from the outlet.
- Wait for 5 seconds and reconnect the adapters back.
- Wait for the TV to turn on and show the home screen.
- Next, reinsert the batteries back in the NOW remote.
- Locate the “Pairing” button inside your NOW remote.
- Press and hold down the pairing button for 3 seconds.
- Wait until you see the pairing light on the TV remote.
If your remote flashes light, this indicates your NOW TV remote is establishing a connection with your Smart Stick or Smart Box.
So, it would help if you remained patient until the remote is connected.
3. Replace the Remote Batteries
If your Now TV remote doesn’t have a flashlight during the pairing process, it could be due to weak, incompatible, or dead batteries in the remote.
Simply replacing the batteries in your remote will hopefully resolve the problem immediately.
- So, insert a fresh pair of AAA alkaline batteries in the NOW TV remote!
Your Smart remote will automatically connect and pair with your Smart stick or TV box in seconds.
However, if nothing happens, you may start considering that the remote may be broken and explore alternative ways to control your NOW TV…
4. Use Your iPhone as a Remote!
If your smart remote is still not pairing, the good news is that you can turn your iPhone into a remote, too.
Instead of a physical remote, you will find a digital remote control in the NOW mobile app with every button the same as the original physical remote.
Follow these steps to set up your iPhone as a remote:
- Go to the App Store on your iPhone.
- Find and install the “NOW” application.
- Launch the Now app on your iPhone.
- Look for the “Show Remote” button.
- Tap the Remote button at the bottom.
This will automatically launch a digital remote control within the app.
However, this temporary solution isn’t suitable for the long run, so you may need to start looking for compatible remotes with your NOW TV for a replacement.
If your NOW TV IR remote pairing is not working, keep reading!
Note: The only requirement is the same WiFi on your iPhone and Now TV Smart Box or Stick!
Now TV IR Remote Not Pairing? – Simple Solutions!
If your IR remote is not pairing, it could be due to a dirty or damaged IR sensor on the Smart Box or the remote itself.
When your remote is not pairing, it is crucial to ensure that the sensors are operational and nothing is blocking the infrared signal beam between your remote and the box.
1. Remove any Interfering Objects
If you are trying to pair your infrared remote from a long distance or holding the remote lower than the box’s position, remember that the pairing process will keep failing.
As a result, your NOW TV remote won’t pair, regardless of what you’re attempting.
So, hold the remote high and point it directly towards your NOW box to ensure nothing is blocking the signal.
If your TV remote still doesn’t pair, remove your NOW or Smart box from the power and remove the remote batteries.
After a few seconds, reconnect the TV box to the electrical outlet, and if you see the home screen on your TV, re-insert the batteries.
2. Clean and Test the IR Sensors
The NOW TV standard IR remote and Smart Box communicate by sending and receiving IR (infrared) beam signals, meaning the IR sensor is the core component.
Thus, you must check to see if the IR sensors on your IR remote and your NOW Box or Smart Box are faulty or dirty.
Here’s a step-by-step tutorial on exactly what to do:
- Clean the IR sensor on the remote and box.
- Open the camera app on your smartphone.
- Point your IR remote towards your camera.
- Press any button on your NOW TV remote.
- Look for the purplish light on your camera.
If you can see the flashing IR signal in the camera app, this indicates that the remote sensor is working fine.
So, again, move in front of the Smart box, point the remote at the sensor, and check if the remote is operational.
Info: If you don’t see a purplish light through your phone’s camera when pressing buttons on the NOW TV remote, the remote is not sending IR signals.
3. Get a Replacement Remote
If you have tried all the steps but still have no success, don’t panic. There is a good chance that your IR remote is broken or faulty, which is why it is not working.
If you have any recollection of a physical impact or liquids getting into the remote, you’ll be able to identify the true culprit.
At this point, you have two options: use the NOW mobile app to use a digital remote control, a temporary solution.
The other option is to get yourself a new IR replacement remote control.
Tip: Contact NOW Customer Support for further guidance and warranty checkup!
If your NOW TV remote is not pairing, power cycle the unit and the Smart box, install new batteries in the remote, and remove interfering objects.
Also, re-pair the remote, test the IR sensors, and if nothing works, set up the digital remote control using the NOW app!
Follow us for more NOW TV guides and troubleshooting. Best of luck!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.