Want to know how to charge Oura Ring without charger? You’ve come to the right place.
Like most fitness trackers, your Oura Ring has a proprietary charging system with a dock and cable.
The wall charge is not provided, so you must find your own.
Charging your Oura Ring without the charger is quite difficult as it comes with its proprietary charging dock. Several methods work, like if you have a charging dock from a smaller ring.
Amazing, now let’s examine the particulars.
How to Charge Oura Ring Without Charger – We Have the Facts
Before we dive into the possible methods to charge your Oura Ring without the charger, let’s review some basic facts about your Oura ring and its charging system.
Oura Ring Charging Basics
The Oura Ring has a decent battery life of about 5-7 days, depending on how often you sync it with your smartphone.
If you’re curious about the battery level, check it by looking at the LED light on the ring.
|Very Low Battery
How Does the Oura Ring Charger Work
The official charger for the Oura Ring is a small dock that connects to a USB cable.
It has two metal contacts that align with the corresponding contacts inside your ring.
Placing the ring on the dock establishes a magnetic connection that enables current flow from the USB cable to the ring’s battery.
Depending on how low the battery is, the charging time for your Oura Ring is about 20-80 minutes.
Note: The LED light on the ring flashes green when charging and remains steady when fully charged.
Charging Without Using the Oura Ring Charger
While there are alternative ways to charge your ring without its official charger, note that the manufacturer does not recommend these approaches.
Aside from potentially harming your device, they also void your warranty.
Charging by Directly Plugging It Into a USB Cable
Even though your Oura Ring has two metal contacts on the inside, charging by directly plugging it into a USB cable is not possible.
Your Oura Ring does not have a USB port or any other connector that fits into a USB cable.
The metal contacts inside the ring are not designed to be plugged into anything other than the official charger.
If you force using a USB cable, any of the following will happen:
Therefore, do not attempt to charge your ring by directly plugging it into a USB cable.
Using a Wireless Charging Pad
Wireless charging pads use electromagnetic induction to transfer power from its transmitter coil to your device’s receiver coil.
However, your Oura Ring does not have a receiver coil or any other component that enables it.
Nothing will happen if you place your Oura Ring on a wireless charging pad.
You won’t be able to charge your device, so don’t waste time using it.
Making a DIY Charging Dock
Another alternative method is making a DIY charging dock using household items and tools to mimic the official charger’s function.
This method involves connecting two wires from a USB cable to two metal pins that align with your Oura Ring’s contacts.
To make a DIY charging dock, you will need the following:
- USB cable
- A pair of scissors or wire cutters
- Pair of pliers
- Pair of metal pins or needles
- Piece of cardboard or foam
- Tape or glue
Here are the steps to make a DIY charging dock for your Oura Ring:
- Trim one end of the USB cable, but leave the USB connector intact.
- Strip about an inch of insulation from the cut end to reveal red and black wires.
- Remove the white and green wires.
- Twist the red and black wire ends to prevent fraying.
- Shape metal pins into L-shaped hooks to serve as ring contacts.
- Connect the red wire to one pin and the black wire to another using tape or glue.
- Create a base from cardboard or foam and poke holes in it.
- Insert the metal pins through the holes and secure them to the base.
- Plug the USB connector into a power source.
- Position your ring atop the base, aligning the ring’s contacts with the pins.
- Look for a green LED indicator to confirm charging.
Congratulations! You’ve made a DIY charging dock for your Oura Ring.
However, you should be aware of some risks and limitations of this method.
- Not approved by Oura; risks damaging your ring or voiding warranty
- It doesn’t work for all sizes of rings
- Unstable power supply and potential voltage/current fluctuations
- Risk of overheating or fire hazard due to lack of safety features
- Exposure to electric shocks due to exposed wires and metal pins
Note: Use this method at your own risk and as a last resort only.
Using the Charger of a Smaller Sized Ring
The Oura Ring comes in eight sizes, from US 6 to US 13. The chargers are also size-specific but have the same shape and design.
If you have access to a charger of a smaller-sized ring, use it to charge your device.
Important: This method isn’t efficient and reliable, but it could work. However, avoid using a larger charger, which will damage your ring or cause overheating.
Tips and Notes:
- Determine your Oura Ring size with the Oura Sizing Kit or a ruler/tape measure.
- Check your ring size on the Oura app under your profile.
- Ensure stability on the smaller charger to avoid looseness or wobbling.
- Don’t force your ring to the smaller charger to prevent damage.
Precautions and Considerations When Not Using the Charger
If you consider charging Oura ring without charger and using the above methods, there are some risks and limitations you must be aware of.
Here are some of the precautions and considerations to keep in mind:
Charging your Oura Ring by not using its official charger poses safety hazards, such as overheating, fire, or electric shock.
Here’s what you have to do to avoid this:
- Monitor the charging process.
- Don’t leave your Oura Ring unattended.
- Use functional cables or docks.
Charging your Oura Ring without its charger voids the warranty or affects your eligibility for a replacement.
The warranty covers material and craft defects for two years from purchase.
However, it does not cover the following:
- Improper use
- Unauthorized modifications
If you need to return or exchange your device, provide proof of purchase and the original charger.
Using non-official chargers affects the performance, accuracy, and battery life of your Oura Ring.
Additionally, it will likely result in incomplete or irregular charging. On the other hand, the original charger provides fast, consistent charging.
Only One Way to Charge Your Oura Ring
The bottom line is that there is only one way to charge your ring properly and safely – using the official charger.
It guarantees a reliable and hassle-free charging process, protects your device from damage, and preserves your warranty.
Get a Replacement Charger
If you lose or damage your original charger, order a new one from the Oura website or app.
The replacement charger costs $59, plus free shipping worldwide. Choose the size and color to match your ring.
To order a replacement charger, follow these steps:
- Go to the Oura website or app.
- Log in to your Oura account.
- Click on Shop.
- Select Accessories.
- Choose the Charging Kit option.
- Choose your preferred size and color.
- Add the item to your cart and proceed to check out.
- Enter your shipping and payment details.
- Confirm your order.
Oura will send you a confirmation email with your order number and tracking information.
Expect to receive your replacement charger within 2-4 weeks, depending on your location.
Contact Oura customer support if you have any questions or issues with your order. Simply dial +1 855 672 8724 or send an email to email@example.com.
Tip: To check the status of your order, log in to your Oura account and click on Orders.
How to charge Oura Ring without charger? The Oura Ring uses a custom charging dock and a USB-A to USB-C cable, but you must use your wall charger.
This unique design makes charging your device with its dedicated dock possible.
For more information on Oura Ring, visit our blog!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.