Whenever the Verizon Fios router red light globe is flashing, there is definitely something wrong with your network. Since there are many possibilities, we’ve made sure to address each of them in this post so let’s get started!
Your Verizon Fios router may be blinking in red if it was unable to locate the wireless client. There could be several types of network outages that require performing a series of troubleshooting steps to identify and hopefully resolve.
Before we jump into the troubleshooting let’s take a look at the general suspects that might be causing the red globe light to flicker.
The red globe light can mean only that the network is not in a healthy condition. Here are the most frequently reported issues from users having the same problem as you!
1. Wireless Host Not Located
In case your router is unable to locate the wireless host (ISP), it will start blinking in red/orange.
2. No Internet From Wireless Host
If your router is able to locate the wireless host, but there is no internet connection delivered, the light will blink in red.
3. Power Issue
Sometimes your router may be facing power issues disrupting the internet and making the LED blink in red color.
4. Bad Network
Any sort of internet outage, even if it was gone for a moment, the red light will flicker as an alert.
Next, we’re going to start identifying the issue by excluding all possibilities one by one so let’s jump right in.
It is important to perform a restart of your router before you begin in case there are IP conflicts preventing the proper workflow.
If you have already tried that and it didn’t work, let’s perform a more advanced type of restart with the first solution we’ve got.
The first suggestion would be to perform a power cycle on your router.
Unlike the normal reboot, this power cycle method will help your router dispose of all the electricity it currently contains and will provide a cold boot upon its next start-up.
To perform a power cycle, please follow the instructions:
- Turn off your router by pressing the power button located at the back panel.
- Wait for a couple of seconds and unplug the power cord from the power source.
- Unplug the other side of the cord from the router and wait for 5 minutes.
- Plug the power cord again, as you first connect it to the router and then the power source.
Once you’ve completed these steps, turn on your router and check the red light. If it is still blinking, please proceed with our next troubleshooting fix.
If you’re using a wired connection on your Verizon Fios then perhaps one of the cables may have gone faulty over time.
The questionable cable connections would be the Coaxial cable, the Ethernet cable if you’re using one, and of course the power adapter.
Follow these steps to examine the cable connections:
- Unplug all three cables from your router
- Plug them into a trusted device with the same entries (you can use another router).
- Turn on the device and investigate whether each connection is functional.
For instance, if the third-party device refuses to turn on at all, you will be looking at replacing the corresponding cable with a new one.
Note: If there are no devices you can test with, simply connect all cables from scratch and proceed with the net solution.
Another thing to do whenever the Verizon Fios router red light globe is flashing would be a factory reset. Keep in mind that a factory reset will erase all of your network configurations so proceed with caution.
To perform a factory reset, follow the steps down below:
- Ensure your Verizon Fios router is turned on.
- Locate the reset button located on the back panel of the device.
- Use a pointed paperclip or needle and insert the object into the little hole where the reset button is.
- Apply pressure for 15 seconds and then slowly release the button.
- Wait for your router to reset and to be turned on again.
Following these steps, your router will perform a factory reset and hopefully, the green light won’t be blinking anymore.
Important: During the factory reset process, you must ensure that there will be no power outages as this can impact the process and leave your router with firmware halfway applied.
Many users have suggested that the 30-30-30 method managed to fix the red light on their Verizon router.
To perform a 30-30-30 method, follow the steps we’ve provided down below:
- Press and hold the power button on your router for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, unplug the power adapter and wait for another 30 seconds.
- Plug the power adapter again and hold the power button for the final 30 seconds.
Easy as that you perform the 30-30-30 method on your Verizon Fios router. Take a look at the red light, is it still blinking? If yes, let’s proceed further.
By flushing your DNS, you will erase the piled-up cache data. Considering that the red light on your router is flashing, you will need to connect your router to a Windows PC via Ethernet cable.
Once connected follow the steps below:
- Press the Windows button on the keyboard to open the Start Menu.
- Search for “CMD” and open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
- In the CMD, type “ipconfig /flushdns” and hit Enter.
Once ready, restart your router and check if the red light will still be blinking.
Many users managed to fix whenever the Verizon Fios router red light is flickering simply by disconnecting from the network and reconnecting back to it.
This can only happen through a PC, so again, you will need to hook it up via Ethernet cable.
Once ready, follow the steps below:
- Right click on the network icon in the Windows taskbar tray.
- Choose Open Network & Internet settings.
- Next, click on Change Adapter Options.
- Right click on your Network and disable it.
- Wait for a few moments and enable it the same way.
When you’re ready, restart your router and check if the red light is still blinking. If unfortunately, is still blinking, there is only one thing you can do so let’s find out what.
Since you’ve tried everything to ensure that the problem is not from your side it’s time to call your internet service provider.
Reach out to them and explain the issue you’re experiencing and what you’ve tried so far.
With a little luck it will turn out to be maintenance on their side and all you’ll need to do is wait a few hours.
On the other hand, your router might turn out faulty and your ISP will most likely send technicians home to inspect the case. Either way, you know what to do from here so wish you good luck!
To fix a red light on the Verizon Fios router, ensure all cables are functional and try applying a power cycle and the 30-30-30 method. Next, perform a factory and if nothing works check if your ISP is having a maintenance.
Read Next: Why is Fios On Demand Not Working?
Now that you know why the Verizon FiOS router red globe light is flickering, you should be able to easily resolve the issue following our easy fixes. In the end, it is always possible to throw a quick call towards your ISP for an explanation and assistance.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.