Experiencing the UKTV Play not working on Freeview problem? Here’s the fix!
When adding a particular service to Freeview, the servers hosting Freeview must allow your device to access the other service’s contents.
This is the most common situation, where things go faulty and this error occurs as a result.
Here’s how to handle this problem quickly:
To fix when UKTV refuses to play on Freeview, reboot your device and have the version of Freeview updated. Next, clear the platform’s app cache and reinstall UKTV from Freeview. Finally, reset your device’s network and software settings.
Let’s learn more about the problem and what users have to say about it!
Why Is Freeview UKTV Play Not Working – All Answers!
UKTV is one of the available services on Freeview and could be accessed through the platform.
When a particular service of Freeview is not functioning properly, this could mean several things – an issue with the installation or an internet connection problem.
Let’s review what could impact UKTV from Freeview on your device:
- Freeview or UKTV is running an Outdated Version
- There’s an issue with the Internet Connection on your device
- There’s Too Much Cache gathered on the Freeview app
- The Network Settings of your device are incorrect
Whatever is the cause of the problem, we’ll identify it with our upcoming fix guide!
How to Fix When UKTV Play Not Working On Freeview?
After learning more about UKTV’s existence in the Freeview app and what could go wrong with it, it’s time for a solution.
We’ve designed our guide in a specific way, to target the problem directly and settle it in an instant!
Let’s jump in with our solutions!
Solution #1 Reboot your Device
The first thing you should try is to Reboot your Device to settle the issue with UKTV Play.
This could be a common problem to fix, since most services could undergo temporal service issues, such as UKTV.
The easiest and fastest way to resolve this problem is therefore reboot your device’s software and remove the Freeview app from the temporal memory.
Follow these instructions to reboot your device:
- Press and hold the Power Button of your device or go to Power Settings.
- Choose “Restart” from the available power options.
- Wait for your device to shut down and start rebooting.
- Give the device 30-60 seconds to perform the reboot and start back up.
- Launch the Freeview app and attempt to access UKTV.
As a result of the reboot, your device may get disconnected from its current WiFi.
If that happens, ensure that the device is connected by the time you’re testing out UKTV.
Note: If using a mobile, plug it into the charger while the rebooting is still undergoing.
Solution #2 Manage Device & Network Internet Status
Like all online platforms, UKTV too requires an Active Internet Connection in order to grant you access to the available content.
However, if your device is no longer connected to a WiFi network or there’s a particular problem with the connection, you should manage this.
First, let’s get your device reconnected to WiFi:
How to Reconnect Device to WiFi:
- Head to Settings.
- On most devices, it would be the “WiFi” or “Wireless Connection” tab.
- Select your Home Network from the list.
- Type down the Connection Password.
- Press “Connect”.
- Wait for the device to hook up to the network.
Next, we shall look up how to quickly resolve issues with your network device and setup!
How to Fix Issues with the Network:
- Hard Reset the Router by unplugging it from power for 5 minutes
- Reduce Bandwidth Usage by disconnecting devices you’re not using regularly
- Reconnect the Modem’s Ethernet from the router or third-party network device,
Either way, the “Connection Status” LED lamp on your network device should be lit up at all times if the internet flow is healthy.
Note: If you’re experiencing issues on other devices, contact your ISP for more help.
Solution #3 Update the Freeview App
There is a high chance that the Freeview App is Outdated and is no longer running its latest software.
In order to maintain compatibility with your device, the Freeview App’s version must be regularly updated using the latest scripts posted by the merchant.
- On most TVs and mobiles, updating Freeview happens through the App Store
Here’s a general idea of how the update process looks like
- Launch your device’s App Store.
- Navigate to “Manage Installed Applications”.
- Use the search field to localize Freeview.
- Select the app and choose “Check for Updates.
- Press “Update” to begin the process.
Based on internet strengths and device performance, the update could be between 1 and 5 minutes.
For the time being, avoid interacting with the device, since you could accidentally cancel the process, causing the old version of Freeview to remain.
Note: Once Freeview has finished updating, allow automatic updates in the app store.
Solution #4 Clear Freeview’s App Cache
What you should do next is have the generated cache of the Freeview app cleared.
The more you use a particular application, the more system cache that platform will have.
On the other hand, overfilled app cache could slow the performance of the application itself, cause bugs and glitches and even reduce the speeds at which your device operates.
Let’s learn how to clear the Freeview app’s cache in easy steps:
- Launch the Settings App on your mobile device.
- Navigate to Storage.
- Press “Applications”.
- Scroll down and Locate the Freeview Platform.
- Press the Tick Box next to the app.
- The “Clear Cache & Data” action should become available at the top of the menu.
- Press “Clear Cache & Data”.
Clearing the cache now doesn’t mean it won’t get piled up again. Remember, the more you use an application, the more often you should clear the cache for it to avoid similar issues.
Note: If you notice your device is not operating fast enough, clear the cache for other apps.
Solution #5 Reinstall UKTV From Freeview
Next, you should Remove and then Re-Add UKTV from Freeview.
This will guarantee that UKTV is not the problem in the situation or actually settle the issue without the need for a different approach.
It’s relatively easy to add and remove services from Freeview, but it takes basic knowledge as to where you have to navigate in the settings.
Follow these instructions to re-add UKTV from Freeview:
- Launch Freeview on your device.
- Head to “List” by pressing the button from the home page.
- Locate the UKTV Channel.
- Highlight the channel.
- Press “Delete” at the top of the page.
- Next, go to the Freeview app’s installation page.
- Get UKTV again.
- Undergo the Standard Download Process of the UKTV channel.
- Attempt to stream.
Once UKTV is reinstalled onto your Freeview platform, make sure to enable all licenses required to access the service.
Note: Keep in mind that uninstalling UKTV will erase the service’s settings configuration.
Solution #6 Reset Device APN Settings
If nothing worked so far, perhaps this problem is Network-Related and has occurred with your device.
The best way to approach the problem is to have the network (APN) settings of your device reset, to their factory values.
This will verify that nowhere along the connection chains there are problems occurring.
Here’s how to reset your device’s APN settings easily:
- On your device, head to Settings.
- Head to “Network”.
- Press “Network Settings”.
- Scroll down and choose “Reset”.
- Confirm the process with your PIN if you have to.
- Follow the remaining on-screen instructions to finalize the reset.
Once your device has started resetting itself, make sure to avoid any interaction with the unit.
You could accidentally cancel the Network/APN Settings Reset, which will leave the settings of your device as they are.
Note: Based on performance, the Network Reset could take up to 3 minutes to complete.
Let’s have a recap of all solutions we’ve reviewed in our guide!
Hence, to fix when UKTV isn’t playing on Freeview, reboot your device and settle issues with the internet connection. Next, clear Freeview’s app cache and update its software. Finally, reset your device’s APN and/or network settings.
In this guide, you’ve learned why UKTV Play not working on Freeview and what is causing the problem first-hand.
We did our best to gather the most helpful solutions, we managed to collect from the community.
As a result, your chances of defeating this problem without the use of external assistance have greatly increased!
If you’re still having issues with UKTV Play, consider contacting Freeview!
Read Next: How to Get BT Sport on Freeview?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.