You may wonder how to transfer Sky Q recordings to external hard drive. After all, you cannot keep a lot of recordings in your Sky Q due to space limitations.
Hence, the next best idea is to transfer these recording files to an external hard drive and free up the space.
It’s not possible to directly transfer Sky Q recordings to an external hard drive. Instead, you need first to transfer recordings to a DVD and then to an external hard drive.
Although the process of transferring Sky Q recordings to an external hard drive is complicated, this step-by-step guide will help you figure it out easily.
So, read on.
Keep in mind that you cannot directly transfer Sky Q recordings to an external hard drive.
The reason behind this is Sky Q’s copyright and licensing laws.
Another thing to note is Sky Q boxes do come with a SATA port. However, even if you do connect your external hard drive and copy the files, you won’t be able to access them.
These files are encrypted and thus, you cannot open or watch them on your device.
But, if you’re in desperate need to transfer Sky Q recordings to an external drive, you can try out a 2-step approach.
This approach requires you to:
- Transfer recordings from Sky Q box to DVD.
- Transfer recordings from DVD to laptop or PC.
- Transfer recordings from a laptop or PC to an external hard drive.
One major drawback to this method is that you might face a huge drop in video quality.
As mentioned above, if you want to transfer Sky Q recordings to an external hard drive, you need to opt for a 3-step approach.
Let’s take a look at how you can transfer the Sky Q recordings:
Although you cannot transfer recordings from the Sky Q box to a USB or hard drive, it’s possible to do so with a DVD.
However, before you go ahead, keep in mind a few things. The Sky+ HD box already offers an option to copy files from Sky+ HD to a DVD recorder. The same doesn’t work for the Sky Q box.
For the Sky Q box, you require additional connections.
Follow the steps given below for a better idea:
1. Enable Connections
- Plug an Ethernet cable from the router to your Sky Q box.
- Next, press the Home button on the remote and scroll down to Settings.
- Don’t click on Settings. Instead, press ‘001’ and then press ‘Select’.
- From the menu, enable Ethernet.
- Similarly, enable WiFi.
2. Copy to DVD Recorder
- First, take an HDMI splitter.
- Next, connect the TV to one output.
- Connect another HDMI output to the DVD recorder using SCART.
- Then, play the recordings to copy them.
Note that this is extremely time-consuming as Sky Q doesn’t offer a direct facility to copy all recordings from the box to the DVD recorder.
After you have transferred all files from Sky Q to a plain DVD, you need to again transfer them to your PC or laptop.
Let’s see how you can do it below.
1. Install DVD Ripping Program
- Before you transfer, you need to install a DVD ripping program.
- You can install one such as DVDFab as it can easily convert the DVD content to files.
- After DVDFab installation, open the software and click the DVD to DVD option.
- In that, further, you need to select To AVI.
- Finally, insert the DVD into your laptop or computer device.
2. Transfer Files from DVD to Laptop
- Next, insert the DVD with recordings and select Start.
- Let the files convert for a few minutes, depending on the total size.
- Finally, after the file conversion, select the DVDFab folder, followed by the AVI folder.
- You’ll find your converted files in the AVI folder.
In the last step, you simply need to copy files from the AVI folder to your external hard drive.
To do this, you need to follow these steps:
- First, plug in the external hard drive into your computer or laptop.
- In the AVI folder, find the recordings.
- Then, right-click on the folder/recordings and select the ‘Send to’ option.
- Further, in the ‘Send to’ option, choose the external hard drive name.
Once you are done, let the recordings transfer to the external hard drive. Again, note that you might see some major reduction in the video quality of the recordings.
Another question you may have regarding Sky Q recordings is how you can copy those to a USB memory stick.
Well, the answer is – it isn’t possible to copy content directly to a USB memory stick.
Now, you may find a USB port available on your Sky Q box but that’s simply for a modem connection. Thus, it’s impossible to insert your USB stick and expect it to copy the recordings.
However, you can follow the same method given above for an external hard drive. You need to first copy the content to DVD and then, copy it to a USB memory stick.
The above step-by-step process might help in transferring Sky Q recordings to an external hard drive.
Yet, it’s quite complicated and may not always work as Sky Q boxes don’t come with an easy option to copy content on DVD either.
So, if you still cannot transfer the recordings, you may try some other options mentioned below:
If space is your main concern, then, instead of transferring recordings, you can try deleting the old shows that you don’t watch anymore.
Here’s how you can delete your old recordings easily and save up some space on your Sky Q box:
- Go to the Recording section on your Planner.
- Next, select Manage and the show you wish to delete.
- Then, delete the recordings accordingly.
If you have accidentally deleted the wrong show, you can also select Manage, then Deleted, and select Undelete.
This way, you won’t have to go through the tedious process of transferring recordings to save up space. Simply delete the old ones that you don’t watch!
If you wish to transfer recordings from Sky boxes to an external hard drive or USB, you can consider getting a Sky+ HD box.
The reason behind this is that Sky+ HD boxes offer a quick solution to copy recordings from Skybox to DVD recorder.
It has a spare HDMI port that supports DVD recorders. Thus, you won’t have to go through the complicated process mentioned above.
Then, you can copy those recordings from DVD to hard drive or USB easily.
You cannot transfer Sky Q recordings to an external hard drive directly. Instead, you need to first transfer it to the DVD recorder. Then, from DVD recorder to an external hard drive via a PC/laptop.
Read Next: How to Fix Sky Q Error MR104 in Easy Steps?
It’s not very easy to know how to transfer Sky Q recordings to an external hard drive.
It is because Sky Q boxes don’t support it due to major copyright concerns. Thus, you need to follow the steps mentioned above and see if they work out properly for you.
But we recommend considering deleting some old recordings to free up some space in your Sky Q or opt for a Sky+ HD box for transferring recordings quickly.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.