If you want to know how to transfer Cox account to another person, we’ve got you!
Whether you are moving out of your current address or sharing your account with a family member, transferring your Cox account is easy if you follow the right steps.
You only need to meet eligibility and requirements.
To start, contact Cox Communications customer service, who’ll guide you through the necessary steps. Provide your account details and the new account holder’s information.
Okay, let’s go over the process!
Full Steps on How to Transfer Cox Account to Another Person
Let’s discuss the reasons, eligibility and requirements, potential fees, and the account transfer timeline so you’ll have a clear idea of can a Cox account be transfer to another person.
Primary Reasons for Transferring Your Account
Cox customers transfer their Cox accounts to another person for various reasons.
The most common are:
- You’re moving out and want to transfer your account to the new resident.
- You want to share your Cox services with a family member or friend.
- You wish to change the ownership of your Cox account for personal or legal reasons.
- You are no longer using the service and want to cancel it.
- You are selling the account to someone else.
- You are closing the account due to financial difficulties.
- You are transferring the account to a different company.
Note: The new account holder will be responsible for all future payments and must provide their own equipment.
Eligibility and Requirements
Before transferring your Cox account to another person, make sure you meet the following eligibility and requirements:
- The account must be in good standing.
- The account must be at least 30 days old.
- The new account holder must be a resident of the United States.
- The new account holder must have a valid credit card.
- The new account holder must agree to the terms and conditions.
If you meet these eligibility and requirements, it’s time to initiate the transfer process.
Note: Cox will contact the new account holder to provide proof of identity and residency in the form of a government-issued ID or a utility bill.
Initiating the Transfer Process
To start the transfer process, contact Cox customer service and inform them of your decision to transfer your account to another person.
Here’s what you have to do:
- Call 1-800-234-3993 or visit a Cox Solutions store near you.
- Provide your Cox account number, PIN, and service address.
- Give the name and phone number of the person you’re transferring the account to.
- The Cox representative will verify your identity.
- Agree to release your account information to the new holder.
Contacting Cox Customer Service
Once you have initiated the transfer process, a Cox customer service representative will contact the person you want to transfer the account to.
They will confirm the new holder’s identity, eligibility, and willingness to accept your account.
Then, inform them of the following:
The new account holder must agree to a credit check and pay any deposits or fees required by Cox.
They will have to provide their email address and billing information, too.
Note: A confirmation email will be sent to the new account holder, along with instructions on accessing their online account.
Coordinating With the New Account Holder
The next step to transfer Cox account to another person is coordinating with the new account holder.
You must speak with them about handling the equipment and service activation.
Depending on your situation, you have one of these options:
If you’re moving out of your current residence and leaving behind your equipment, here’s what will happen:
- You will hand over your equipment to the new account holder.
- The new account holder will connect the equipment and activate their service by:
- Using their online account
- Calling Cox customer service
If you’re taking your equipment with you or returning it to Cox, here’s what will happen:
- You will disconnect your equipment and pack it securely, then:
- Drop it off at a Cox Solutions Store or UPS Store
- Schedule a pickup by calling Cox customer service
- The new account holder must get their own equipment or use their own.
- The new account holder will connect the equipment and activate their service.
Completing the Transfer Forms
In addition to contacting Cox customer service and coordinating with the new account holder, you must fill out some forms.
These forms are crucial in finalizing the transfer, so complete them as soon as possible.
Account Release Form
This form authorizes Cox to release your account information and services to the new account holder.
You will need to fill it out with your information so Cox can process your request.
Account Assumption Form
This form authorizes Cox to assume your account information and services from the previous account holder. The new account holder will need to fill it out.
Download these forms from the Cox website or request them from Cox customer service.
Then, mail or fax the completed documents to Cox within 30 days of initiating the transfer process.
When you transfer your Cox account to another person, you must agree on how to handle the financial aspects of the transfer.
The Final Bill
You will receive a final bill reflecting your account balance as of the date of the transfer.
You will need to pay it in full by the due date. If you have a credit balance, you will receive a refund within 4-6 weeks of the transfer.
The First Bill
The new account holder will receive their first bill within 30 days of the transfer.
It will include any fees, deposits, prorated and monthly charges. They will need to pay it in full by the due date.
The Service Agreement
The new account holder will inherit your current service agreement, including the discounts, contracts, and promotional offers.
They will be responsible for fulfilling the terms and conditions of the agreement.
Note: You and the new account holder must discuss and agree on splitting or sharing the charges or credits during the transfer period.
Depending on your situation, some fees and charges apply when you transfer your Cox to another person.
- Account transfer fee
- Installation fee
- Equipment fee
- Deposit fee
- Early termination fee
Review your current service agreement and bill to see if any fees and charges apply to you.
Account Transfer Timeline
The timeline to transfer Cox internet account to another person varies depending on several factors, such as location, equipment, service plan, availability, etc.
As for the table on the timeline, here’s an example:
|Initiate the transfer process
|Contact Cox customer service
|Coordinate with the new account holder
|Complete the transfer forms
|Agree on the financial agreements
|Finalize the transfer process
Note: Completing the transfer process can take 7 to 20 days, so be patient throughout the process.
Finalizing the Transfer Process
Once you have completed the above steps, you are almost done transferring your Cox account to another person.
The last thing you need to do is finalize the process. Here are the steps you need to take:
Confirming the Transfer Details
- Contact Cox customer service
- Verify all information and forms related to the transfer were received and processed
- Confirm if your services were activated or deactivated per request
How to Know if the Transfer is Completed
- You receive a confirmation email from Cox with your:
- Final bill
- Account closure information
- The new account holder receives a confirmation email with the following:
- First bill
- Account activation information
Before initiating the transfer of your account to another person, review any existing contractual agreements you have with Cox.
- Service agreement
- Early termination fee
- Equipment lease agreement
If you have any questions or concerns about your contractual obligations, seek professional advice or contact Cox directly for clarification.
This article outlines how to transfer Cox account to another person, covering eligibility, fees, timelines, and contractual obligations.
Follow this guide to ensure a hassle-free and timely transfer. If you have questions or feedback, reach out to Cox customer service.
For more articles about Cox Solutions, check out our blog!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.