Your Sky broadband speed slow and you can’t seem to identify why? Keep reading!
The Sky Broadband internet is dependent on your network modem and Sky network. That makes two possible sides where the issue might be coming from.
In this guide, we’ll do our best to inspect whether the slow internet issue is on our side and if so, solve it in minutes!
When Sky Broadband’s internet speed is slow, we need to perform a speed test before troubleshooting. The next step is to restart our internet, inspect our Sky Broadband setup, switch to lower frequency WiFi and if necessary, perform a Factory Reset.
Now that we’ve taken a peek into the solution, let’s learn what’s causing the issue!
Sky Internet Speed Slow – Why?
There are quite a few reasons why your Sky Broadband Internet will be slow.
To identify the problem as early as possible, here’s a complete list of ALL possible causes:
- Sky Broadband Router is OFF
- No Data from the DNS Server
- Loosely connected Ethernet Cable
- Wired Internet is OK, but WiFi is Slow
- Software-related Sky Broadband Issue
These are the most frequently reported causes for slow Sky Broadband internet speed.
Carry Out the Internet Speed Test Now!
It’s quite important to perform a Free Internet Speed Test measuring before you begin troubleshooting.
Then we’ll use this method across the entire guide to check for improvements after each of the solution methods.
This will help us keep track of how we’re doing.
Note: Anything below 5 Mbps download/upload is considered a really slow internet speed.
How To Fix When Sky Broadband Speed Slow?
In order to solve the problem, we need to get to know our Sky Broadband better.
This is why our first method involves recognising the light indications, so let’s jump right in!
Method #1 Read Light Indications!
The very first method will teach you how to recognise the Sky Broadband router light pattern and how to identify possible issues.
Down below you’ll find the light indications for the Power Light and Internet Light which always stay in the middle of the internet speed issues!
- Power Light Green – Sky Broadband Router is working OK.
- Power Light OFF – Sky Broadband Router is turned OFF.
- Power Light Red – Sky Router Functionality Problem
- Power Light Flashing – Sky Router Is Resetting
- Internet Light OFF – No Internet Connection
- Internet Light Green – The Internet Connection is OK.
- Internet Light Amber – Sky Router is attempting to Connect
Based on your findings, we can now recognise the problem better.
If your internet is slow, that means that the Power Light and Internet Light should be green, in which case we can proceed.
Note: Any light colours besides “green” means that something is wrong!
Method #2 Reboot Sky Broadband
The next and one of the most frequently applied steps is to perform a Power Cycle on your Sky Broadband router.
This technique will refresh the software as well as the hardware of your device and hopefully will restore the full speed of your internet connection.
Here’s how to power cycle your Sky Broadband router:
- Press the Power button to turn OFF the router.
- Disconnect the Power Adapter from the source.
- Wait for at least 3 minutes for the device to discharge.
- Reconnect the Power Adapter to the wall outlet.
- Test your internet connection speed!
In case the speed of your Sky Broadband internet is the same as it was before, then we’ll need to get a bit more technical.
Let’s check what’s next…
Method #3 Sky Setup Inspection
Even if we don’t really want to, sometimes it’s necessary to inspect the cable harness on your Sky Broadband router setup.
What will mainly be looking for is whether the Ethernet (black cable), is properly connected to the wall outlet and your Sky Broadband router.
In addition, we need to check for damaged port entries, and whether the cable is twisted, under pressure or interrupted.
When the internet is slow not only on your WiFi but also on your computer we need to relieve the network usage by following the steps below:
- Stop Downloading/Seeding/Uploading.
- Disable any activated VPN (app or browser extension).
- Stop streaming high-quality content.
- Disconnect unnecessary devices from the WiFi.
When you’re ready, on your computer, open the Task Manager and check what’s consuming your internet speed.
Make sure to Uninstall or temporarily stop any software that is constantly engaging your internet.
Note: In case the setup appears to be OK, and nothing is consuming your internet, proceed.
Method #4 Check Sky Status!
In case everything so far appears to be normal, but your Sky Broadband internet speed is still slow, we’ll need to check for ongoing outages.
What that essentially means is that sometimes the problem comes from Sky and we can’t do anything about this on our end.
- Simply hop on the Sky Service Status Page and check the Sky Broadband.
In case you see a green tick, saying “No known issues in your area”, you can continue with the next method.
However, in case there is an outage in the Sky Broadband, there is no need to proceed further, instead wait a couple of hours.
Method #5 Use the 2.4Ghz WiFi
When your wired Sky broadband connection is performing well, but the WiFi appears to be slow, it’s time to switch to a lower wireless frequency.
The reason why this helps is that the 5Ghz broadband frequency has a hard time travelling through solid objects such as walls.
- Connect your device to the 2.4Ghz frequency of your Sky Broadband router!
- Open the web browser on any device connected to the router.
- Type “192.168.1.1” to enter the router’s Control Panel
- From there insert Admin/Admin to sign-in.
- Select Wireless > Advanced Wireless Settings.
- Tap on Create New or change the 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz WiFi.
- Reboot your Sky Broadband router.
- Connect to the 2.4Ghz WiFi Frequency.
When you’re connected, follow the link at the beginning of the post to perform a free internet speed and check for improvement.
In case the 2.4Ghz WiFi performs better, then you simply need to shorten the proximity between the device you intend to connect to the 5Ghz WiFi.
Tip: Staying closer to the router increases the internet speed on any frequency!
Method #6 Reset Sky Broadband
The final and most powerful solution is to Factory Reset the Sky Broadband router!
The process itself is easy, but the downside is that ALL your network settings will be permanently deleted.
That means that your WiFi will be reset, therefore the passwords will no longer match.
You’ll later need to manually set up the WiFi for your Sky Broadband router.
Here is how to reset your Sky Broadband router in easy steps:
- Find the Reset Button on the router.
- Press and hold the button for 10 seconds!
- Release only after the Power Light starts to flash.
- The reset takes about 3 minutes to complete.
- The Power Light will go “solid green” when it’s over.
Once the reset is completed, test whether your internet speed has any improvement by going to the link at the start of the guide.
In case there is no change and your Sky Broadband internet is slow after ALL methods in this guide, you’ll need some professional help!
Method #7 Flush DNS Settings
Unfortunately, Sky has locked the DNS settings, therefore we can’t go any more technical than this.
What we can do here is reset the DNS settings by using a Windows-operated computer.
What we need to do is make sure that this computer is connected to our Sky Broadband router wired or wireless and open the CMD (Command Prompt).
Follow the steps below:
- Open the CMD as Administrator!
- Type “ipconfig /flushdns” and press Enter.
- The DNS Cache will now be reset.
- A successful message should appear.
Note: Test whether the Sky Broadband internet speed is still slow!
Thus, when Sky Broadband internet is slow we need to reboot our router, reconnect the Ethernet cable and perform an internet speed test. In case there is no improvement, we need to relieve our network usage and Factory Reset our Sky Broadband router.
Now that we’ve learned the reasons behind Sky broadband speed slow, we can easily solve the problem by applying the methods above.
The most important part we’ve learned is that we always need to check for Sky Broadband planned and unplanned outages before troubleshooting our setup.
We hope that his guide was helpful and for more Sky content, check our blog!
Read Next: Sky Account Not Enabled For Purchases? – Fixed
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.