Is your Shaw Mobile Data not working? We have a quick and easy solution to the problem!
Whenever signing up a contract at any carrier, you’ll receive cellular benefits along with access to their network, via the SIM.
If your phone got disconnected from the Shaw Network, you won’t be able to perform calls or use the mobile data. This remains until your phone reconnects.
To fix when Shaw Mobile Data isn’t working, perform a Software Reset on your device and manually reconnect with the Shaw Network. After that, disable any DND Modes and update the carrier info. Finally, reset the APN/Network Settings of your mobile device.
Let’s next learn more about why the mobile data on Shaw is not working!
Before we jump in with the troubleshooting, let’s first review what’s causing the problem with the Shaw Mobile Data on your device:
- Your mobile phone is Out of Coverage
- There is a Software Problem with your mobile
- An Issue with the SIM Card has occurred
- There’s a Subscription Managing Problem with Shaw
- A Temporal Shaw Network Outage is taking place
Either way, we’ll target and resolve all of the following causes in our upcoming guide. Let’s go!
After reviewing what could potentially prevent your Shaw Mobile Data from working, let’s get hasty and resolve the problem!
To make sure all goes according to plan, follow our solutions in chronological order, read and pay attention to all notes, tips and alerts and do not skip!
Let’s jump in!
To initiate our troubleshooting, it would only be appropriate to first perform a Reboot on your mobile device.
Chances are that your mobile unit got unhooked from the Shaw Network and all that is needed to be done is perform a Software Restart on the device.
Performing a reset on the device will reconnect it to the network and fix the mobile data.
How to reboot a mobile device:
- Press and hold the Power Button of the device.
- Once the power menu appears, select “Restart”.
- Confirm that you want to perform a restart on your device.
- Wait for the mobile to shut down and undergo the restart.
Once your device reboots after the reset, test the mobile data that Shaw should deliver. Before that, ensure that the Mobile Data Feature is set to “ON”.
Alert: Not enabling the mobile data feature, will prevent your phone from receiving internet.
If a simple reboot didn’t help your device reconnect with the Shaw Network, then perhaps an enabled DND Mode is cutting off the data’s income.
- DND Modes are features that prevent your caller ID from being disturbed
Whenever a DND Mode is enabled (Airplane mode for instance), all notifications, calls and messages sent to you are temporarily hidden to avoid bothering you.
A thing about DND modes is that they would also prevent your device from using mobile data and Wi-Fi as well.
In that regard, you must make sure that you have not enabled any DND modes on your phone.
- Airplane Mode – Navigate to Settings > General > Airplane > “OFF”.
- Device-Specific DND Mode – Settings > General > DND > “Disable”.
Although all mobile devices have airplane mode, there are some device-specific features that have the same functionality as airplane mode. They should also be disabled.
Note: Once you’ve made sure no DND mode is enabled on your device, test the Shaw data.
Chances are that you have seated the Shaw SIM card incorrectly into your device!
As a result of that, all of the cellular advantages that should regularly reach your number will be temporarily cut off.
That includes cellular mobile data, cellular calling and all of the benefits you’ve signed up Shaw for. To fix that problem, you must reseat the SIM Card.
Here’s how to reseat your Shaw SIM Card in easy steps:
- Grab a SIM Tool.
- Insert the tool into the Card Tray’s pinhole on the side of your device.
- Remove the SIM Tray from your mobile device.
- Eject the SIM Card and place it outside of the tray.
- Wait for at least 60 Seconds while the SIM is taken out.
- Reinsert the SIM Card back into your mobile device.
- Test the Shaw mobile data…
Keep in mind that after reinserting the SIM card it may take your mobile device up to 30 seconds in order to establish a connection. Give your device the time it needs.
Note: It takes up to 30 seconds for your device to scan for the Shaw Network and connect.
If your mobile device cannot automatically perform the connection to the Shaw Network, there is a way to do it Manually.
Most Android devices and all iPhones have the capability of manually hooking up to a cellular network, as long as it is being scanned by the device.
In these means, your next step should be to re-establish the connection between your mobile device and the Shaw Network.
Follow these instructions to reconnect your device to the Shaw Network:
- On your device, launch the Settings App.
- Navigate to “Network & Internet” or simply select the “Internet” tab.
- From there, scroll to the bottom of the page.
- At the bottom, press “Add Network”.
- Select “Cellular Networks” (be careful not to select “WiFi Networks)”.
- Press the search field at the top.
- Write “Shaw” in and press “search”.
- Once located on the Shaw Network, press the “Connect” indicator.
Once again, you’ll have to give your device a couple of moments in order to realize the connection and get paired to the Shaw Network.
Note: You could keep a track of the connection at the signal indicator at the top of your display.
Cellular Coverage is something crucial for the mobile data of your carrier.
If you’re somewhere out of coverage, where the Shaw Network’s Connection cannot extend to, the mobile data will not work for you.
What you should do during this solution, is make sure that your physical position does not obstruct the signal that your mobile receives from Shaw.
Places that could obstruct the signal are the following:
- Underground Compartments and Tunnels
- Hills, Mountains and Fields
- Provinces that are far away from cities
- In-between Thick Concrete or Wooden Walls
In other words, just go outside of your home and raise your hand while holding the mobile.
This should give you a general idea of the signal strength in your location and whether it is reliable or not. You could also get a raise in the signal strength while keeping your hand up.
Note: Go to Shaw Mobile Coverages finder to learn more about the covered zones.
If nothing worked so far, perhaps the problem is with your device’s Network Settings!
The network settings are what host the Bluetooth, WiFi and Cellular on your mobile device and if something goes wrong with them, it could fail the associated connection.
What we’ll be doing in this step is resetting all of these settings to their factory values in order to fix the mobile data.
Here’s how to reset your device’s network settings in easy steps:
- Launch the Settings Tab on your mobile device.
- Head to “General”.
- Scroll down to “Reset” and enter the tab.
- Choose “Network Data Reset”.
- Confirm the process by inserting your PIN.
- Once confirmed, wait for the network reset to take its place.
Based on your device’s performance, the network reset could take up to 3-5 minutes. Leave your mobile device unbothered for the being of the reset to avoid accidentally cancelling it.
Alert: All Bluetooth, WiFi and Cellular Connections will be erased after the reset.
If you’re still experiencing problems with Shaw Mobile Data, you should consider contacting Shaw Mobile Support.
They’ll be able to check your number and determine if there is some sort of fault going on, preventing you from using the mobile data accordingly.
Hence, to fix when Shaw Mobile Data not working, perform a Reboot on your device and then reinsert the SIM Card, along with cleaning the SIM Tray. Next, reconnect manually to the Shaw Network and check your subscription at Shaw. Finally, reset the Network Settings.
Read Next: How to Fix Shaw Mobile SIM Card Not Working?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.