Whenever the Shaw guide not working there are a lot of things that could have gone wrong.
Everything from the connection between your TV and cable box to software issues could be responsible for the interactive channel guide, not opening.
To resolve the Shaw guide non-working issue, inspect your remote first. Check or replace the batteries and if the problem is with the remote it should make a difference. Next, reset your cable box and update its firmware.
Regardless of where the issue is coming from, in this guide, we’ll find out!
Before continuing further to the solutions, it’s important to understand all parts of your setup that could be causing the guide inactivity issue.
Here is what might have gone wrong with your Shaw interactive channel guide:
Wrong or Bad Input
Since the guide is a software piece from your cable box, if not connected, the guide will not appear.
If there is a memory failure, you might be unable to locate and use the guide within Shaw.
If you’re running a too old version of Shaw’s firmware, it is possible that the channel guide is no longer compatible.
Whether your remote guide button is faulty or it is the batteries if the command is not sent through, the guide will not appear.
Software issues remain the main suspect here, so we’ll start our troubleshooting guide with this and slowly build our way up to the more complex solutions. Let’s get started!
By hard resetting the Shaw cable box, you will remove all temporal malfunctions and possibly fixing the guide feature.
If you don’t know how a hard reset is done, you can check out these steps:
- Unplug the receiver’s power cord from the electrical outlet.
- Wait for at least 5 minutes.
- Plug the receiver’s power cord back into the outlet.
- Turn on the receiver and check if the Guide within Shaw now works.
Plug the receiver directly into a wall outlet once the hard reset is done to avoid possible power complications with strips or dividers.
In this solution, you’ll be focusing on your remote because it’s recommended to continue further if you didn’t exclude the remote as a possibility.
Follow the steps below to resolve any Shaw remote issues:
- Take the remote’s batteries OUT.
- Press EACH remote button, at least TWICE.
- Ensure that there is nothing blocking the line of sight between remote and TV.
- Take ANY electronic devices near your cable box as far away as possible.
- Press the Guide button, several times applying mild pressure.
- Insert a NEW pair of batteries.
- Restart your cable box.
- Test the channel guide.
If the guide button is still not opening the channel guide, then there is definitely something wrong with the rest of your setup. Let’s find out if you’re interacting with the cable box at all.
It is really important to understand whether you’re seeing the cable box content or any other platform.
The Shaw guide will work only if you’re using the cable box software so let’s inspect the wiring:
- Ensure that the HDMI cable is plugged in tightly and then test.
- Plug the HDMI cable into another port and test.
- Try the HDMI cable on another device and test it there (if possible).
- Check the HDMI cable for visual hardware damage and clean the tips off any dust, then check once again.
If nothing works at the end, try plugging a different HDMI cable to see if that will help.
If your Shaw guide not updating automatically, there might be configuration errors, so we’ve prepared a manual guide:
- Open the receiver’s Settings.
- Go to System > Firmware Version > Firmware Update.
- Click on Check For Updates.
- Once the checker is done, click on “Apply” in the message Window for the receiver to start updating.
You might as well update your TV if it happens to be at an outdated version, just in case an outdated TV version may impact the connectivity. If updating didn’t help, let’s reset the entire cable box.
By resetting the getaway/portal you will force the receiver to re-download ALL of its contents including the interactive channel guide. You’ll only need to locate the Reset button on the back of your Shaw cable box and you can start:
- Press the Reset button for about 10 seconds.
- Wait for about 5 minutes.
- The portal will be reset.
Once ready you can test if the channel guide is now working and if it doesn’t then let’s check how to ask Shaw for help.
Since many users shared that after contacting the Shaw customer service, the team updated something on their end which resolved their issue almost immediately.
You can reach out to them at 1-888-472-2222 or on live chat or email on their official website.
Now when you’ve ensured that the issue is not likely to be on your end, it’s time to contact them. Don’t forget to share what you’ve done in this post to avoid performing the same methods over again.
If your channel guide is now working, there is a frequent issue where channels are missing so let’s take a look at how to fix it.
If you were able to resolve your channel guide issue but now there are missing channels and you don’t know how to get them back, there is a way to refresh the channels.
There are two general ways to reset the channel guide, via the mobile app or through the website.
- Download the My Shaw application (available for Android and iOS).
- Go to Manage TV and BlueCurve TV App Devices.
- Under Troubleshooting, press on Refresh.
- Confirm and wait for about 10 minutes.
- Go to my.shaw.ca.
- Sign in and click on My Services.
- Select TV and go to Help & Support.
- Click Refresh and wait for about 10 minutes.
Regardless of which way you have used to reset your interactive channel guide, it should be back to normal and channels should no longer be missing.
To resolve the Shaw channel guide, you should hard reset your receiver and inspect the connection between your TV and box. Then, ensure the input is correct and update the firmware of your cable box and TV. Don’t forget that the problem could be with your remote so power cycle it and replace the batteries.
Read Next: Fix Shaw Cable No Signal.
Now when you know why Shaw guide not working and most importantly how to fix issues spurring it, you can avoid similar complications in the future.
In case you’ve got any other issues with the devices in your setup, don’t hesitate to visit our blog and discover the solution you’re looking for!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.