If your Shaw cable box not working when connected to your TV or not turning ON at all, then you’re at the right place.
Here we’ll address each possibility preventing your Shaw cable box from working properly and answer all inquiries surrounding the topic.
The solution to Shaw cable box not working, includes a power cycle and a getaway portal reset only if ALL cables are properly connected. Next, if the issue is related to the type of connection, switching to another cable would be a great approach.
If those methods didn’t work or you don’t know how to apply them, take a look at the possibilities first and then we’ll get into detail about each of the solutions.
It is important to understand whether your cable box is turning ON or not. There is a possibility that it is working, but your TV remains black or is not able to connect properly.
On the other hand, if your cable box is NOT turning on, here is what might have happened:
An issue with Remote
It is possible that you’re unable to power on your Shaw cable box due to an unfunctional remote.
Potential power adapter issues might prevent you from turning on your cable box.
It is possible that after a power outage some component in your cable box is no longer working, preventing you from turning it on.
Depending on whether your cable box is turning ON at all, you can either go to the resolution methods or try to turn it ON first.
To check if the Shaw cable box is working, take a look at the front panel. If the power button is lit in blue, then it definitely works.
If, however, the power button does not light up under any circumstance, then the cable box is NOT working so you’ll need to fix that first.
- Use the power button on the front.
- Check if the power cable is plugged in tightly.
- Change the power source.
- Remove any power dividers in between.
- Hold the reset button on the back for 6 seconds.
If nothing manages to light up the power button, then your cable box is not working at all.
That could mean either a non-working cable, power source or a hardware problem. To continue from here you can contact Shaw support or visit a repair service.
Now when you’re certain that the cable box power button is lit in blue, but the cable box is not working as intended, here are the best solution methods available.
If you have concerns that the box might not be connected properly, here is how it should be hooked up:
- The Coaxial cable should be plugged one end into the wall outlet.
- The other end of the Coaxial cable should be plugged into your box input.
- One end of the HDMI should be connected to the HDMI input of the cable box.
- The other end of the HDMI to one of your TV HDMI inputs.
- Lastly, the power adapter should be connected to the cable box and the other end to the electrical outlet.
If you’re using a Component cable, use the cable colours to connect them properly.
Note: Don’t forget that in order to see the box contents on your TV, you need to choose the HDMI port to which you connected the cable.
To do so go to your TV Settings > Sources and choose the right HDMI source.
If ALL cables are connected properly, the next thing you should try is a power refresh.
This way you’ll discharge the device entirely and provide a cold boot that has high chances of resolving almost any temporary issue.
Here is how to power cycle your cable box easily:
- Unplug the power cable of the power source.
- Wait for several minutes for the electricity to drain.
- Plug the power cable back into the source once that time has passed.
Tip: It is recommended that you plug the Shaw cable box’s power cable directly into a wall outlet to evade possible malfunctions with strips or dividers.
If everything is connected properly and you have chosen the correct TV source but the cable box seems not to be working, then there is a way to reset it.
- Locate the reset button on the back of the Shaw cable box.
- Press and hold the reset button for about 10 seconds and release.
- Wait about 10 minutes for the box to reset.
- Turn ON your cable box and test.
If the Shaw cable box not showing all channels after the factory reset, you need to refresh the channel list, so here is how to do it.
- On any network device go to my.shaw.ca.
- Sign in to your account and go to My Services.
- Choose TV and go to Help & Support.
- Press the Refresh button and wait for about 10 minutes.
If nothing so far managed to resolve your Shaw cable box issue, then the problem might be in the way you’re connecting it. Here are your alternative connection options:
- Use another HDMI cable (to test if that one works).
- Try plugging the HDMI in another HDMI input of your TV.
- Use a Video Component cable (to test if the HDMI output of your cable box works).
- Try to hook up the cable box to the TV with an RCA connector.
Note: When changing the connection type, change the TV source to an aligning source as well.
If you’ve tried ALL 3 different ways of connection and none of them manages to make any difference, then your cable box might be working but something is broken.
In most cases, it is the output so try to push the video cable (whatever it is) tighter to check if a picture will appear on your TV.
The last possibility, while it is highlighted, is unlikely to be a fault with your TV. It is possible that the software of your TV is glitched and does not allow any input to enter within.
To resolve issues like this you can try the following:
- Reset ALL settings to default, through the options
- Power cycle your TV
- Factory reset TV
If nothing resolves the problem then you should definitely reach out to Shaw customer service or bring your box for a repair.
Since many users at some point are not able to turn ON the cable box with their remotes, we’ve prepared a list of steps to help you resolve any present issues.
- Take the batteries OUT of the remote.
- Press EACH button on the remote TWICE.
- Remove any objects in front of your cable box.
- Put away any electrical devices near the box.
- Insert brand new batteries in the remote.
- Point the remote towards your TV and press the power button with more pressure.
If the cable box is still not turning on or not responding to your remote there are only two possibilities. Your remote is not working, or the cable box has trouble with the IR/RF 600 receiver.
The solution to a non-working Shaw box includes a power cycle on both your receiver and TV as well as incepting if ALL cables are properly connected. Next, reset the Shaw getaway and your TV to exclude software issues and if nothing works try connecting the box using a different cable.
Read Next: How to Fix Shaw Cable No Signal Issue?
If you have learned why your Shaw cable box not working the troubleshooting would have been as easy as it can get.
There is always the possibility of a hardware problem so if nothing worked then you should check your warranty or go to a repair service for inspection.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.