Connected Setek WiFi extender no internet? Keep reading!
We all know the purpose of the WiFi extenders. You just connect them to your router via Ethernet cable, plug them into the power, and voila, your WiFi now covers a larger area!
Sometimes when you connect your Setek WiFi extender, the WiFi will simply say “no internet”.
When the Setek WiFi extender is connected but the WiFi says “no internet”, users need to make sure that the Ethernet cable is properly connected, flush the DNS cache, change the WiFi channel and only then target the Setek WiFi extender.
In this guide, we’ll cover everything so let’s jump into the solutions!
Before assuming that the WiFi extender is not working properly, you need to focus on common problems related to the network first.
In that regard we strongly recommended following the order of the solutions, so you can make sure to target ALL possibilities until the issue is solved.
The first and easiest solution is to perform a power circulation on the Setek WiFi extender. Since the device plugs into the power outlet without a cable, the task would be simple.
Unplug the extender from the power outlet for at least 60 seconds!
In addition, make sure to remove any power strips from the equation for the rest of the guide.
Plug the extender directly into a proven-to-work power source and test whether you’ll be able to connect to the WiFi, using your smartphone.
Note: After the power cycle, it might take up to 3 minutes for the WiFi to come online.
This is where most users allow mistakes to slip by, therefore the Setek WiFi extender does not have the internet to share, thus, WiFi says “no internet”.
It’s extremely important to know how to connect the Ethernet cable properly and by following the steps below you can’t go wrong!
- Disconnect the Ethernet cable from both sides (the Setek extender and router).
- Make sure that the Internet (black cable) is connected to the blue port of your router.
- Connect one side of the Ethernet cable to one of the yellow ports of your router.
- Connect the other side of the Ethernet cable to one of the input ports on the extender.
- Use the Power Button to restart the Setek extender and test.
Now that you’re confident, that the Ethernet cable is connected properly, check where you’ll be able to connect to the WiFi.
In case you still see the “no internet” message under the connection, jump to the next step.
Note: The Ethernet cable *clicks* upon being properly connected to the input ports.
In some cases, the problem does not come from the Setek WiFi extender, instead, the issue’s roots are in the network.
The most frequently used method against network troubles is the so-called DNS refresh, which can happen from a device connected to the WiFi.
Connect a Windows desktop computer to the WiFi or via Ethernet cable!
- On the Windows desktop computer, open the Start Menu.
- Type “CMD” and open the Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Type “ipconfig/flushdns” and press the Enter button on the keyboard.
- You should receive a message that the DNS was successfully flushed.
- In the Command Prompt type “ipconfig/release”.
- Then type “ipconfig/renew”.
This method will make sure to remove any IP conflicts preventing the WiFi from working on the Setek Extender. Once you’re ready, test whether you can connect and use the WiFi.
Alert: Your WiFi won’t work if you don’t properly execute the second line “ipconfig/renew”.
Another solution for the “no internet” error on the Setek extender would be to restart the network router.
Perhaps the problem does not come from the Setek WiFi extender, instead, the issue could be located on the network router.
In that set of thoughts, the most efficient action would be to restart ALL services!
Here’s how to restart the network router in a few easy steps:
- Turn OFF your network router using the power button on the back.
- Unplug the router from the power outlet for at least 3 minutes.
- Once the time has elapsed, reconnect the device to the power.
- Turn ON the router, using the power button.
- Stand by for 1-2 minutes until the WiFi comes back on.
Once the router is online, attempt to connect to the Setek WiFi extender and check whether the “no internet” message is still there.
In case the problem persists, jump to the next solution!
One of the best working methods against Setek WiFi extender no internet issue is to switch between WiFi network channels to find one that actually works.
The Setek WiFi extender supports only 2.4Ghz frequency therefore this is the broadband to change the channel for.
You need to reach into the router’s control panel to change the WiFi network channel.
- Connect a desktop computer to the router’s WiFi or via Ethernet cable.
- On a Windows desktop computer, open the Start Menu and type “CMD”.
- Open the Command Prompt as an Administrator.
- Type “ipconfig” and press the Enter button on the keyboard.
- Copy the “Default Gateway” IP address from the list.
- Paste the copied IP address into the internet browser.
- Use admin/admin or admin/password to enter the router’s control panel.
- Go to the Advanced Network Settings.
- Choose 2.4Ghz WiFi and select Change Channel.
- Select a different channel than the one currently used and press Save.
- Cycle between several channels to find out whether one will work.
Note: If you’re unable to log in to the router’s control panel with the credentials above, contact your ISP to provide you with access.
Even if rarely, the Setek WiFi extender internet will not be reachable, when the router’s firmware is out of date.
In that regard, you’ll need to update the router and test whether the “no internet” message would continue to appear with the Setek WiFi extender.
Login to the router’s control panel using the steps from solution #5.
Once there you only need to find the Update tab and make sure to apply any pending software upgrades.
During the update, the router might restart more than once so be patient.
Note: Based on how many missed updates there are, the operation might continue for more than 10 minutes!
This is the final and most powerful solution among all others. This method is used only when the problem persists regardless of what you’ve tried.
In case you’ve missed any of the solutions below, strongly recommend scrolling up and filling in before factory resetting.
Here’s how to factory reset the Setek WiFi extender to solve the “no internet” error:
- Locate the Factory Reset button on the side of the device.
- Hold the Factory Reset button for about 15 seconds.
- Wait until the Power LED turns red.
- The reset will not commence yet.
- Use the Default Gateway IP address to open the Management Panel on a PC.
- The default address is 192.168.50 but you can open the CMD to make sure.
- Press the factory reset button inside the Setek Management Panel.
- Confirm the Reset prompt on the screen.
- Press the OK button for the reset to commence.
To be sure, do not interact with the device for at least 3 minutes after the reset has started.
Then, simply reconnect the Ethernet cable to refresh the data, and after a while, test connecting your device to the extender’s WiFi.
The “no internet” message should now be gone!
Hence, the “no internet” message appears on a Setek WiFi extender because the Ethernet cable is not properly connected or because the network router is not sending internet. The solution includes a DNS flush, router restart, and factory resetting of the extender.
Read Next: Why Does My WiFi Speed Fluctuate So Much?
Now that we know why Setek WiFi extender no internet message appears, we can easily address the problem by following the solution described above.
In case the issue persists, test using a different Ethernet cable to connect the router and the extender.
In case nothing helps, check whether the device is covered by its warranty and attempt to use it for a replacement or a repair. For more relevant guides, check out our tech blog!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.