What do you do when you suddenly notice that the Public Mobile network not available?
First, you want to find out the potential causes of network failure.
Public Mobile network issues can be caused by many factors. It is paramount to consider all these factors. Having an idea of the potential causes of the problem will help solve it.
The main cause of Public Mobile network issues is SIM swap fraud. If you notice that your SIM card is missing service, check to see if other people using Public Mobile have access. Your SIM card may have been swapped without your knowledge.
Besides SIM swap, location and SIM or phone damage could hamper network access.
Let us look at all potential causes of Public Mobile Network failure.
- SIM swap” Fraud – Your SIM card could be hacked by cybercriminals and lead to loss of service.
- Incorrect APN Settings – Confirm that your phone has the right APN settings in your cannot access data.
- Malfunctioning Phone – If your phone has a technical software issue, you may lose access to the Public Mobile network
- Damaged SIM or Phone – Hardware damages should be repaired to restore phone service
The first thing you want to confirm is whether your case is isolated. To do this, try finding out if other public mobile users have access to the network.
If you are the only one in your location, there is a problem to be fixed.
If you notice that you are the only one in the dark, start by confirming that your SIM is not hacked.
To find out if your SIM has been hacked follow these steps:
- Login to your Public Mobile self-service portal
- Click on Change SIM Card
- Note down the four digits on the SIM card associated with your account
- Compare the four digits with the ones on your IME or the number printed on your SIM card
- If your numbers do not match, your account has been hacked and you need to contact Public Mobile moderators immediately.
If you realize that your phone SIM is not hacked, move on with this solution. In this step, we are going to refresh your phone by restarting it.
If your phone encounters a temporary error, it could lose service. The best way to refresh your device is by restarting it.
To restart the android device:
- Press and hold the power button until power options show up on your screen.
- Select Restart and let the phone reboot.
- Once the phone is on, check to see if you get a network
Note: Some android phones will not present power options when you hold the power button.
In this case, hold the power button until the device goes off then power it on.
Restart iOS Devices:
- Press and hold the power button
- A slider will appear on your screen
- Swipe the slider to the right to switch your phone off
- Once the phone is off press the power button to turn the device on.
- Once the device is on, check to see if your network coverage has been restored.
If your main problem is data coverage, chances are that you have the wrong APN settings.
When you purchase a new Public Mobile SIM, you should also update APN settings.
While some devices will get updated automatically, some will require updating.
To Access APN Settings on Android :
- Go to Settings
- Tap on Mobile Networks
- Tap on Access Point Name(APN)
- Tap on New APN
- Tap on the Name Field
If the information in the fields matches the ones below, your APN settings updated.
If your fields have different information, update them with the following information.
- Name: Public Mobile
- APN: sp.mb.com
- MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
- MMSC proxy: 220.127.116.11
- MMS port: 80
- MNC: 220
- MCC: 302
Note: Once you have made the necessary changes, tap on save and reboot your device to activate them.
Change APN Settings for Apple Devices:
- Go to Settings
- Select Cellular
- Tap on Cellular Data Network
- Tap Reset Settings.
This should be able to reconfigure your APN settings. In most Apple devices, you do not have to reset your APN manually.
For Apple devices, the method of updating APN settings is standard. It can be applied to all models of iPhone.
The same cannot be said about android devices. The method above only applies to Samsung and a few other devices.
- Go to Settings
- Under Settings find Mobile Networks/Connections
- Find Access Point Names/APN
- Change the values that are not placed correctly with the content or android above
The other reason that could cause your Public Mobile SIM to lack service is a damaged device.
Damages can happen to your device or SIM. In either case, you will have a big problem and you must get your device fixed.
To deal with hardware issues, troubleshoot your SIM
- Turn off your phone and eject the SIM card
- Insert the SIM into another device that accepts Public Mobile SIM
- If your SIM works in the other device, it is in good condition
- If the SIM fails to work in that device, chances are that it is the one damaged
If you confirm that it is your SIM card that is damaged, replace it. Walk to any store that sells Public Mobile SIM cards.
Purchase a new SIM and undergo the activation process above. If it is your phone that is damaged, get it to a mobile repair expert.
If the malfunction on your device comes as a result of incompatibility, you will have to get a new device.
There are devices that are not compatible with public mobile. Besides compatibility, some devices are locked to other networks.
To avoid suffering incompatibility problems, always do the following when you buy a Public Mobile SIM.
- Perform a compatibility check
- Ask your old service provider to unlock your device
- Try using your SIM on another device that is similar to yours.
To check the compatibility of your device, visit this page and use the compatibility tool.
Finally. you want to ensure that your device is updated when using it. A mobile phone that is outdated will affect your functions.
Among the device functions that can be affected is service provision. If you are using some of the old devices, it is necessary to update regularly.
How to update your Apple device.
- Go to your Settings from your main menu
- Scroll down and select General
- Under General select Software Update
- Tap on Automatic Updates
- Turn on Download iOS Updates
- Turn on Install iOS Updates
Different android devices have different ways to update the system. For the purpose of this guide, we will look at the simplest way to update any android device.
- Go to Settings from your menu
- Scroll down near the bottom and select System
- Select System Update
- You will see the updated status on your phone screen
- If it is not updated, you will see instructions on the screen to follow
If you are in a situation where a Public Mobile network not available, you have to first check if you are hacked.
If your SIM has been hacked, you must act fast to prevent any damage. If not, try the above solutions to bring your line back to life.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.