The Canadian government allows any citizen to transfer phone number to Public Mobile or any other carrier when they want.
You will not be charged to transfer your phone number. All you have to do is issue a porting request.
You can port the number from any carrier to Public Mobile during your SIM activation. When you go purchase a new Public Mobile SIM, simply ask customer service to port your old number. You can also complete porting online if you want to handle the case yourself.
The good news is that, even if you have already activated your Public Mobile number, you can still port your old number.
As long as it is still active, you can port it within 30 days of activating your Public Mobile account.
If you are looking to transfer your phone number to Public Mobile, you can do it even without notifying your old network.
All you have to do is walk into any shop that sells Public Mobile SIM and purchase a new one.
Public Mobile SIM can be bought at Walmart, T-Mobile or any other store that sells SIM cards.
After purchasing your line, you can transfer your old number to the new SIM in the following ways.
- During the activation of the SIM
- After the activation of the SIM
To start the Public Mobile port number process, you have to activate your SIM.
During SIM activation, you will be given the option to either choose a new number or transfer your old number.
At this point, chose a new number to complete the transfer process. It is important to know that, the process of activation can be done at the shop or online.
1. Inside the Shop
For inside-the-shop activation, you will be required to provide certain details.
The customer service attendant will perform the activation process on your behalf.
Note: For this process to be successful, you must have your old SIM still active on your phone.
You cannot perform porting if your old SIM has been deactivated.
2. Activate Online
The second and most convenient option is to port the number yourself. This is done through the Public Mobile self-service portal.
Before we look at the process, let’s see the requirement to be able to port your number
Requirements to Transfer Phone Number to Public Mobile
When you initiate the Public Mobile transfer number process, you will be required to meet specific requirements.
The set-out requirements are as follows:
- The individual trying to transfer the number must be the authorized account holder
- The number you wish to transfer must be from a different carrier and not Public Mobile
- The number you are trying to transfer should still be active at the time you initiate the process
- Make sure you have access to your old SIM card and account details as they may be required to complete the transfer.
Note: Once the porting process is complete, your old SIM card will be deactivated.
You are also allowed to transfer your landline number to Public Mobile. The details you will require for landlines are
- Old service provider brand name
- First and last name of the account holder
- Previous provider account number or IMEI number
- Complete billing address
Once you are set with the above details, you can move on with porting your number to Public Mobile. Porting Should happen in three simple steps.
Below are the steps to follow.
The first step is to register as a Public Mobile customer and create your account.
This happens once you have purchased a Public Mobile SIM card. You can download the Public Mobile app from the App Store or visit their self-service page on your browser.
Once you have the app. Here are the steps to follow
- Create your Public Mobile account by registering with your email and new phone number
- Set a Password and PIN you can remember and keep safe
With that, you will have created our Public Mobile account for the management of services, recharging your SIM and other services.
Once the account is set, log in using your credentials from step#1 above. Follow these steps:
- Login to your account
- Select “Change Phone Number”
- Transfer old number
Under this option select “Transfer Old Number” to proceed.
Once you select transfer old number, you will be required to fill in some details.
Once you fill in these details and submit them, you will have initiated the process to transfer your phone number.
However, it does not end here.
For your phone number transfer to be complete, the following should happen:
- You should receive a message or an email from your old service provider requiring your consent. Follow the instructions they provide to complete the process.
- Remember that your old SIM must be in your phone at the time of requesting the transfer of the number.
- Once the process has been completed, you must receive a message from Public Mobile confirming that the process has been completed.
Note: For mobile numbers, it takes up to 2 hours for porting to be complete. For landlines, it takes up to 3 business days to complete porting.
If you have already activated your Public Mobile but wish to bring in your old number, there is a chance.
However, this should happen within the first month of activating your Public Mobile SIM.
To transfer your number after activating your number, log in to your app account on the Public mobile site.
Follow these steps to port your old number.
- Select “Plans and Add ons”
- Click “Change Phone Number”
- Choose the phone number you want to transfer and save the settings.
Once you initiate the transfer process, you might encounter some issues. There are common issues that you should be able to resolve.
For instance, your mobile number should be transferred within 2 hours. If the process takes longer, you need to take some action.
Among the issues that may occur during the transfer of phone numbers are as follows:
- You may experience mixed service. In other words, you may be able to receive and make calls from both SIM cards.
- Your SIM card may not be accepted by your Public Mobile phone. In this case, you may have to change or device to continue enjoying the service.
- You may fail to connect to the internet even after the SIM has been activated.
Resolving Issues Associated with Porting
To resolve the above-mentioned issues, take the following steps
- Try rebooting your device if you are suffering from data and connectivity problems.
- Confirm that your mobile data is enabled on your device.
- Login to your Public Mobile self-service portal and check your account status. This will help confirm whether your account is active.
- Confirm that you have data on your plan or choose a new plan to activate mobile data.
- Configure your APN settings to match Public Mobile APN settings.
- If all fails, try resetting your phone network settings
Note: Remember that, any attempt to reset your phone's networks will result in losing WiFi passwords and some network settings.
With that, you will have transferred your mobile number from your old provider to Public Mobile.
Even though Public Mobile operates under TELUS, you can still port the number from TELUS to Public Mobile in the same manner.
It takes just three simple steps to transfer phone number to Public Mobile. All the necessary steps can be taken from your Public Mobile self-service portal.
As long as your old line is still active, go to your My Account and port your number.
Read Next: Does Mint Mobile Work in Canada?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.