Wondering why Peloton Tread blinking red light? The answer is simple and in this guide!
The red blinking light on the Peloton Tread means that an error or problem has occurred to the device.
It can be related to the power source, the tread’s software, or any other factor, but don’t worry!
We’re about to unwrap the most reasonable causes and most effective solutions to apply.
To fix the blinking red light on your Peloton Tread, detach and re-attach the safety sensor and perform a power circulation on the entire equipment. In addition, you may also need to update the Tread software version or perform a factory reset.
Let’s dig deeper to unwrap this problem further!
Blinking Red Light on Peloton Tread? – Why!
The Peloton Tread and Tread+ are great investments for those who want to exercise from their home.
However, sometimes users run into an issue when the tread starts blinking a red light right after pressing the “Wake” or “Start” button.
Here is what could cause the red blinking light on your Peloton Tread:
- Outdated Firmware – there could be an issue with the Tread or Tread+ firmware, which negatively impacts the performance.
- Software Issues – some bugs or glitches in Peloton’s system might be causing the red blinking light.
- Power Issues – the tread is receiving insufficient power voltage due to surges or loose connections.
- Safety Key – the tread’s safety key is loosely or incorrectly attached to the magnet.
- Exposed to Liquid – the safety key, key opening, or surrounding area is exposed to any liquids, dust, or other obstructions.
- Hardware Issues – a hardware issue is the last thing that can cause the red light on your Peloton Tread.
Let’s now move further to unwrap the methods to resolve your blinking red light problem!
How to Fix When Peloton Tread Blinking Red Light?
In most cases, a blinking red light appears on the Peloton Tread to indicate an error that could be due to different factors.
When there is no specific error prompt on the display screen, it is crucial to implement all possible solutions that involve software and hardware.
So, without further ado, let’s begin troubleshooting!
1. Reattach the Safety Key
When your Peloton Tread blinks red light, one easy fix is to detach and reattach the Safety Key to the magnet.
It is crucial because when the key is correctly attached to the magnet and closest to the handrail of the machine, it works appropriately fine without any issues.
Here is how to detach and reattach the Peloton Tread safety key:
- First, unplug your Peloton Tread from the outlet.
- Locate the Safety Key from the front of the tread.
- Hold and pull off the Safety Key from its container.
- Clean the key and connector using a microfiber cloth.
- Put the Safety Key back into the magnetic connector.
- Plug the Peloton Tread back into the electrical outlet.
Tip: Press the “Wake” or “Start” button on the tread and check for the red blinking light.
2. Look Around the Safety Key
The next thing you must do is thoroughly inspect the area around the safety key and the key opening.
This step is crucial because sometimes the blinking red light appears on the tread to indicate the connection issues due to dirt build-up or exposure to liquid such as sweat or drinks.
Simply unplug your tread from the power source, remove the safety key from the container tab, and check for any liquids in the safety key, opening, and surrounding area.
- If the area appears to be wet or moist, make sure to dry the surrounding area thoroughly.
After that, turn on your Tread and test the safety key mechanism by pulling it out of the Tread while walking on the belt.
Info: If the safety essential mechanism works fine, but your Tread or Tread+ is still blinking red, it’s probably a bug.
3. Power Cycle the Peloton Tread
If your Peloton Tread red light blinking even when the safety key is working fine, then doing a complete power cycle of the Tread may help.
This is an ideal solution to implement whenever your tread encounters any issues and will address most of your problems in a matter of minutes!
Follow these steps to power cycle the Tread:
- Find the “Power” button from the tread’s deck.
- Press the “Power” button to turn off the tread.
- Unplug the tread’s power cord from the wall.
- Wait for about 3 to 5 minutes for full discharge.
- Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
- Turn the power switch back to the “ON” side.
Lastly, press the “Power” button on the Peloton Tread and wake up your exercise machine.
Also, you must ensure your Tread is directly plugged into the socket, as using a smart plug/adapter or extension cord may not meet the power demands.
If the red blinking light on your Peloton persists, you must look at other possibilities!
4. Check for Peloton Software Updates
Sometimes, the Peloton Tread or Tread+ blinks a red light because it needs a software update.
So, you need to check to see if any latest updates are available since OS updates improve the communication standards between your tread, Peloton servers, and mobile app.
Here is how you can update the Peloton Tread software:
Update Using the Tread Touchscreen:
- Go to the “Settings” on the tread.
- Navigate to the “Device Settings.”
- Tap on “System” or “About Tablet.”
- Finally, tap on “System Updates.”
This will tell you whether any update is available on your Tread or Tread+ machine.
If the update is available, follow the on-screen prompt to download and install the latest operating system.
Update Using the Peloton Mobile App:
- Open the Tread app on your phone.
- Press on the gear “Settings” icon.
- Locate and tap on “Tread Settings.”
- Press on the “Firmware update” option.
- Then, you must select “Update Now.”
- Tap on the “Update firmware” to confirm.
- Once done, tap “Finish” > “Restart Tread.”
Reminder: When your Peloton machine completely boots up, wake up your Tread or Tread+ and check if the blinking red light appears.
5. Switch to Another A/C Source!
Sometimes, the never-ending blinking red light on your Peloton Tread appears due to a power insufficiency, mainly from the A/C outlet.
You can confirm this suspicion easily, especially if the tread behaves weirdly, such as random shutdowns or the Peloton device is not turning on.
One of the best working methods to attempt is to relocate your tread closer to an A/C outlet from another room.
Another Room Why?
The outlets in a typical household are grouped by rooms, and the voltage comes from a different A/C line in different rooms of your home.
So, plugging your tread into an outlet from a different room will justify whether the blinking red light comes from a power insufficiency in your A/C line.
Info: If your Peloton Tread is working well, without a red light, when connected to a proven A/C outlet, then the issue is with the previous power source.
6. Factory Reset Your Peloton Tread
If you have tried every step, but the red light is still blinking, you must perform a factory reset on your Peloton Tread machine.
This will erase your device’s saved data and configuration and revert the system to the default settings.
Tip: If you don’t want to lose your exercise information from the Tread, sync it to the cloud.
Follow these steps to factory reset your Tread:
- On your Tread touchscreen, go to the “Settings.”
- Go to the “Device Settings” and then “System.”
- Select “Factory Reset” and “Reset tablet” tabs.
Note: Once you are done resetting your Peloton Tread, then follow the on-screen prompts to set up the Peloton tablet, you no longer encounter the blinking red light.
Need More Help?
If the red blinking light on your Pleton persists, a problem with the tread’s internal hardware may require a professional inspection.
So, contact any nearby technician or go to Peloton Support for further help regarding the red blinking light on our Peloton Tread—best of luck.
Hence, when your Peloton Tread blinks red light, detach and re-attach the safety key while walking, power cycle the tread, and verify that the key, opening, and surrounding area are completely dry.
If nothing helps, update and factory reset your Peloton Tread.
If you have found the guide helpful, follow us for more Peloton bike and tread articles!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.