If you experience the Koodo SIM card not working problem, may want to explore quick solutions.
In most cases, the SIM card will fail to work when there is no service. You may insert the SIM card in your phone only to see the “No Service” notice.
The other reasons include device settings and compatibility issues.
To fix Koodo SIM card problems, you must activate your SIM card first. After ensuring that the SIM card is active, update your device’s network settings. If you started a porting process, ensure that it is complete so that your SIM card can receive calls and messages.
The other situation where we may say a SIM card is not working is where it is not detected by your phone.
In this case, the problem could be with the hardware. Keep on reading to find solutions to all Koodo SIM card problems.
- Poor network coverage across the country
- Your SIM card is not yet activated
- You started the SIM card porting process but did not complete it
- Your device is not compatible with the Koodo SIM card
- Your SIM card or phone has hardware defects
The first thing you should do to deal with Koodo SIM card issues is to check if there is service coverage.
Before you start troubleshooting, confirm with other Koodo users about the availability of coverage. In some situations, the problem with our SIM card might be a nationwide problem.
If you realize that it is just your phone that lacks connection, move on and try the following solutions.
This solution is for new Koodo customers. If you are new to Koodo and just got your SIM card, chances are that it may need activation.
There are some vendors of SIM cards that will activate at the point of purchase. In other cases, you have to activate the SIM card yourself.
Steps to activate the new Koodo SIM card:
- Go to the Koodo SIM card activation page
- You will be required to input the SIM Card Number (Usually a 19 digits number at the back of your SIM card)
- Once you enter the number, click proceed (if your number is already active you will be notified that you have entered an “invalid” number)
- If your number is not active, proceed to the next page and choose your preferred phone number.
- Chose a plan and set up payment to complete SIM card activation
Note: You must receive a message from Koodo confirming that your SIM card is now active for the process to be complete.
To deal with the Koodo prepaid SIM card not working problem, you may also have to complete porting.
Porting is the process of transferring your number from the old service provider to a new one.
If you are moving to Koodo and have initiated porting, check to see that it is complete.
How to confirm that porting is complete:
- You must receive porting instructions from your old service provider on your old SIM card.
- You must follow all the instructions from your old service provider to complete porting. Once porting is complete, you must receive a confirmation message from Koodo.
Note: You initiate porting during the activation of the SIM card.
If you chose the option to transfer a number from the old service provider, you have initiated porting. To complete the process, insert your old SIM card into your phone and follow all the instructions.
If you have been using your Koodo SIM card for a while, the problem may lie in your settings.
If the network settings are affected, you will not be able to receive service. The solution to this problem is to restore factory settings in your networks.
Reset Networks on Android:
- Go to Settings from the home screen
- Tap on System
- Select Advanced
- Select Reset Options
- Select Reset Network Settings
- Enter the password or pattern to confirm the action
- Tap on Reset Settings
Reset networks on Apple device:
- Go to Settings from the home screen
- Select General
- Select Transfer and Reset Device
- Select Reset
- Select Reset Networks
Note: You may also be required to provide your password to complete resetting your networks.
In some cases, the cause for your misbehaving SIM card could be an outdated device. To deal with this problem, all you have to do is update your device.
How to update your Apple device OS:
- Go to Settings
- Select Software Update
- Select Automatic Updates
- Turn on Download iOS Updates
- Turn on Install iOS Updates
- The system will download updates automatically when connected to Wi-Fi.
Note: The process of updating the OS may take several hours.
Once you turn updates on, stay close to high-speed WiFi until you see a prompt to restart the device to update OS.
Update OS on Android:
- Go to phone Settings
- Scroll to the bottom and select System
- You will see the Update Status
- If the system is not updated select Update
It is not common for a SIM card to get damaged. However, there are situations when your SIM card might be the cause of all your problems.
To solve this problem, all you have to do is get a new SIM card and activate it.
However, you should first test your SIM card to see if it is the cause of your problem.
How to test SIM cards for Hardware defects:
- Turn off your phone and eject your SIM card
- Insert the SIM into another device that accepts Koodo SIM cards
- If the SIM card works, it does not have a problem. If your SIM card fails it needs replacement.
How to replace your Defective Koodo SIM card:
- Order a new SIM card from Koodo online store or buy one from a local store.
- Go to your Self Serve account and log in with your details
- Click on Self-Serve and select Mobile Services on the drop-down menu.
- Select Change Your SIM card.
- Enter the 19-digit number at the back of your SIM card in the text box provided and click on Continue.
- You will receive a 5-digit code in your email since your phone is not working.
- Enter the verification code to complete the new SIM card registration.
Once you have entered the verification code, your new SIM card is ready.
However, you may have to wait up to 15 minutes for the activation to be completed.
If all the above solutions do not work, you have to try and change your device.
If you find that your SIM card is okay but your device still has a problem, you need to change it.
If your device is compatible but suffers from hardware issues, you can get it repaired.
Steps to replace your device:
- Test your SIM card in another device to see if it works
- If your SIM card works, your device has a problem
- If your device asks for an unlock code when you insert a Koodo SIM card, it is locked to another network.
- If your phone has no network when other phones have Koodo service, it has a hardware problem.
- Take your phone back to the seller and request a warranty or get a replacement.
- If you do not have a warranty, take it to phone repair experts.
To fix the Koodo SIM card not working problem, it is paramount that you diagnose all potential issues. Do not start by fixing complex issues.
Your troubleshooting should start with obvious causes and then advance to complex issues. With the above solutions, you should be able to get your Koodo SIM card back online.
Read Next: Koodo Not Registered on Network?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.