If you are considering migrating from your mobile network, you may be wondering – Is Freedom Mobile good?
There are a few key factors you should consider when looking at a network provider.
With Freedom Mobile being the fourth largest mobile network in Canada, it is worth consideration.
Freedom Mobile is a good carrier for those who can access Freedom’s local network. It has the most affordable rates compared to the big three. However, the network still has a lot to do in terms of infrastructure investments for quality.
This article looks at Freedom Mobile in detail. We will consider its speeds, costs, coverage and other factors to determine its usability.
Besides the fact that it is the fourth largest network by subscribers, there are some interesting facts to note.
Freedom mobile is one of the newest mobile networks but there is more to it.
- Freedom Mobile is a new carrier recently owned by Shaw Communications.
- The carrier was established as a result of Shaw Communications purchasing Wind Mobile. In other words, Freedom Mobile is quite Similar to Wind Mobile.
- Shaw Communications has heavily invested in revamping the traditional Wind Mobile. This makes Freedom Mobile more competitive than Wind Mobile.
- Freedom Mobile boasts over 1 million subscribers, making it the fourth-largest carrier in Canada.
The first and most important point we want to consider is Freedom Mobile’s coverage.
The first question to consider should be is Freedom Mobile coverage good. To understand this, we have to consider Freedom Mobile coverage options.
Freedom Mobile is divided into
- Freedom Local
- Freedom Nationwide
This is the coverage you enjoy when using Freedom Mobile in Major Cities including Alberta, British Colombia and Ontario.
On this plan, you will enjoy maximum speeds on the internet and all the features on your plan.
This option is available in regions where Freedom Mobile does not have coverage.
This includes outside the major cities. On this option, the carrier flips to partner carriers to access most of their feature.
Like most Nationwide carriers, Freedom Mobile partners with local carriers.
Freedom mobile has heavily invested in infrastructure to boost reception. Over the past couple of years, its reception has improved to compete for toe to toe with most local providers.
If you are asking if Freedom Mobile is good in Canada, the answer lies in your reception. When it comes to reception, signal strength varies from region to region.
Major cities enjoy the best signal strength. Those in rural areas have a signal but may not experience full features due to poor reception.
Key factors you have to note about Freedom Mobile signal strength
- The carrier works well in city centres
- 4G LTE works well in city centres
- The price for coverage is good in city centres
- There are some dead zones if you are travelling between two major cities
- If you visit mountainous areas the reception will be poor
While reception is still challenging in some areas, Shaw’s communication has heavily improved coverage.
Freedom Mobile says that millions of its customers now have access to LTE data. The brand is also pushing for the rollout of Extended LTE.
Note: With extended LTE, customers will be able to enjoy strong coverage in areas where there are issues now.
This is a major step that will help the carrier extend its coverage.
When you are looking for a carrier, one of the major considerations is the data plans.
One of the reasons why most people use Freedom Mobile is the packages they offer. They have some of the best packages for a nationwide carrier.
Their packages mainly include talk, text and huge amounts of mobile data. With Freedom Mobile being one of the cheapest carriers for such a combination, you understand why people love it.
Below are some of the top plans you can get from Freedom Mobile:
This package is available on Freedom Network and Freedom Nationwide. This means that you will only enjoy all the key features in major cities.
- Unlimited calls
- Unlimited Mobile data
- 10 GB plus 10GB Bonus
- Low speeds after reaching the 20GB limit
- Unlimited incoming calls
- $0.05 per minute for a talk in Canada
- 500 MB of data
Note: The offers provided by Freedom Mobile change from time to time. Check their website to find out the latest offers.
Freedom Mobile has plans they call the Freedom Plans. These Freedom Plans start at $15.
The Freedom 250 MB plan for instance offers up to 100 minutes of nationwide calls.
The plan includes
- Up to 250 MB of data
- 100 nationwide calls
- Unlimited incoming calls
- Unlimited texts
As you can see from the examples above, Freedom mobile has a mix of packages. These packages make Freedom Mobile a good choice for most people.
- The packages offer some of the best options for monthly usage
- The monthly packages are unlimited with capped speeds of 256 Mbps when data is depleted.
- They all enjoy unlimited incoming calls
- If you are outside Freedom, you may have less data to use
- They do not offer an option to extend your plan for $7 -$12 a month as is the case with Rogers and TELUS.
If you are thinking about getting Freedom Mobile, you should also consider their phone offers.
You can either use Freedom Mobile on your own phone or on their devices. If you activate your own phone online, you can get up to $10 per month in discount.
Freedom Mobile also offers some of the best plans for modern phone brands.
Some of the phone brands you can acquire under Freedom Mobile include Apple, Samsung and LG among others.
If you are purchasing a phone on Freedom Mobile, you have to pay an upfront amount.
This amount is referred to as your “Tab.” You can get some phones on Freedom Mobile without paying any amount upfront.
Generally, Freedom Mobile is a good carrier. Given that it is the fourth-largest provider in Canada.
It has made some ground in offering value and improving service. The provider has plans for all and has partnerships with local carriers across Canada.
You can be sure that you will have access to signals in almost all territories.
When Freedom Mobile was launched, it did not have good reception. However, continuous investments by the company have improved its coverage.
The coverage is getting better across the country.
Based on this guide, Freedom Mobile is good for:
- Users who want huge amounts of data.
- Those who live close to cities.
- It is much better for those who want a cheaper option than the big three.
Freedom Mobile is not Ideal for
- People spend a lot of time in rural areas. If you visit cottages constantly, find an alternative carrier with better rural coverage.
- If you constantly travel between large cities and small towns, find a different network.
- This option is not ideal for those who work in jobs that required constant good coverage such as marketers.
If you are wondering if freedom mobile is good, you have your answer.
The beauty of Freedom Mobile lies in its pricing. The network offers some of the best rates across Canada. It has better rates than the top 3 providers.
With that said, Freedom Mobile has its shortcomings. It still lacks sufficient coverage in some regions. If you live in cottages and rural areas, you may want to opt for something else.