Are you wondering why is Hulu not playing next episode? There could be several reasons why this is happening.
You don’t have to reach for the remote every time your favorite episode is about to end to play next.
This article will outline the causes and offer possible solutions to the problem.
To have Hulu play the next episode, you have to turn on autoplay from the settings menu, depending on the type of device you’re using.
The following are some reasons why your Hulu app is not playing the next episode:
- Your internet connection or Wi-Fi speed might be too slow
- Hulu’s service might be experiencing some technical issues
- The autoplay setting on your app is turned off
- The system where you have installed Hulu has a virus or malware using up resources
Solution #1: Check if Autoplay is Turned On
Before scratching your head in a bid to find out why Hulu is not playing the next episode, start by checking whether the autoplay feature is enabled.
For the latest version of Hulu, it’s pretty easy to check by following these steps;
- Go to your account.
- Select settings from the menu.
- Locate autoplay and ensure that it’s turned on.
- Exit settings and check to see if the next episode will play without your intervention.
Slow internet might be the cause of your troubles. Hulu requires a minimum speed of 3mbps to stream smoothly.
Run an internet speed test to see if your ISP meets your requirements.
To check your internet speed, go to fast.com on your device or download the app for iPhone and Android.
Run the test to confirm whether you meet the minimum requirements to stream Hulu shows.
Since Hulu relies on its servers for content, checking its servers would be a good idea to eliminate this as the possible cause of your problems.
If there’s an issue with the servers, there’s nothing much you can do apart from waiting and checking from time to time to see if the technical team has resolved the matter.
Your issues with autoplay might be lying in watch history.
To clear your watch history on PC or Mac, follow the procedure below.
- Open Hulu through your favorite browser.
- Find the “Keep watching” section by scrolling down.
- Click the “x” icon that appears when you hover the mouse over the show you want to delete.
- Click the “okay” button that appears on the subsequent pop-up window.
To clear your watch history on your mobile device, do the following;
- Open the Hulu app on your device.
- Swipe to look for the “Keep watching” section.
- Tap on the three dots in the upper right corner to open the menu.
- Tap “Remove from watch history” in the small pop-up at the bottom of the screen.
Note: The procedure above is for deleting individual shows and movies.
To clear the entire history, use the following procedure:
- Go to the Hulu homepage and click on your profile name.
- Click on “Account”
- Enter password.
- Scroll to “Privacy And Settings”
- Click on “California Privacy Rights”
- On the “Manage activity” section, look for the “Watch History” box and check it.
- Click the “Clear selected” button.
- Click “Clear” on the pop-up to complete the process.
Your data might have been corrupted by unforeseen errors. To solve this problem, it’s recommended that you close and re-log into your account.
To log out of your account, follow these steps;
From your browser:
- Search for the Hulu website to manage your account.
- Hover your mouse over your profile icon to view the selection menu.
- Click the “Log Out” button.
After 2-3 minutes, sign back into your Hulu account and check if the issue has been resolved.
Some browser extensions are not compatible with Hulu and might interfere with the program. It’s advisable to turn off all extensions when using Hulu.
To turn off browser extensions, follow these steps;
- Open your browser and click the menu icon in the top right corner.
- Hover your mouse over more tools and select “Extensions.”
- Disable all your extensions.
App data can get corrupted over time, affecting the performance of your app.
Clearing app data on your android device might solve your issue.
To clear app data on your android device:
- Locate “settings” on your device.
- Access the Apps tab and tap Hulu.
- Tap storage
- Then tap “Clear data” on the bottom of your screen to delete Hulu’s data.
Clearing Hulu Cache on Android TV
To clear Hulu’s cache on Android TV, go to:
- Select Clear cache
The version of your app could have issues with the autoplay feature.
To solve this issue, check if there’s an update. Your solution might be an update away.
Follow this guide to update your app on an android device;
- First launch the Google Play store on your device.
- Locate Hulu on the app.
- Tap on update to install the latest patch of Hulu.
Go back to Hulu and check how autoplay behaves.
The Hulu app might have been installed incorrectly or some of its files corrupted. Re-installing could be the solution to your autoplay failure issue.
To complete this process on your android device;
- Locate the Hulu app on your device.
- Tap and hold the app icon until the selection screen pops up.
- Tap “Uninstall” to delete Hulu from your device.
- After that, go to Google Play Store and re-download the Hulu app.
The reason why your Hulu app is malfunctioning could be that there’s a virus interfering with system resources and corrupt programs.
To rule out this as a potential problem, regularly run full system scans using third-party software packages.
If the issue persists after trying all the above, then contact the experts on Hulu customer support and provide the necessary details for assistance.
Try to provide as many details as possible to make the work of technicians easy.
Your question on why Hulu not playing next episode has been exhaustively answered. Fix the issue using the above methods.
Check out our recent helpful guides on Hulu:
- How to Unlock Movies on Hulu?
- How to Record Future Shows on Hulu?
- Is Hulu Free with Amazon Fire Stick?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.