If you are searching for how to unpause a device on Xfinity, you have come to the right place.
When a device is paused from accessing Xfinity internet it will be unable to use the internet until unpaused.
This feature is very important for security purposes. It also helps with parental controls but can be a challenge to unpause a device sometimes.
To unpause a device on Xfinity, login to My Account on Xfinity website. Alternatively, log in to your Xfinity app and go to Devices. Under devices find Connected Devices and locate the specified device by name. Usually, the device is indicated by a gray dot.
Besides unpausing specific devices, you can also unpause devices on Xfinity by using a user profile.
In this case, you must have created a profile and added users. To find out more about pausing devices on Xfinity, read further.
Why Pause Device From Xfinity Internet?
The pause feature is one of the most commonly used options on Xfinity. This feature is loved due to the benefits it offers.
The fact that most people ask how do I unpause a device on Xfinity WiFi means that many people use it.
Before we proceed and look at unpausing your WiFi, it is important to consider the reasons for pausing it.
Here are the top reasons why you may want to pause your WiFi.
- For Parental Controls purposes. Most people pause internet access for specific devices to help enforce screen time limits for children.
- You can pause access for any devices that may have been compromised. Pausing also helps prevent unauthorized access to your network and personal information.
- You may pause access to a specific device to gain focus. Social media and entertainment websites may be distractions during work and must be shut down.
- You may pause for Network Management. This applies to devices that are using a lot of bandwidth, such as gaming consoles.
- You may pause temporarily for Troubleshooting. In this case, you pause access for a device that is causing network issues.
Note: While all the above reasons are valid, do not unpause a device that poses a security threat to your internet access.
How to Unpause a Device on Xfinity? – Step by Step
Unpausing any device can be done in two main ways. You can either unpause in the paused device directly or from the Xfinity app.
If you are using the Xfinity app, there are three more options to explore. If you are trying to unpause a device from Xfinity, try the following solutions.
Solution #1 Disconnect and Reconnect to the WiFi Once More
To unpause a paused device from Xfinity WiFi, simply turn off and then turn on the WiFi.
This will remove the pause and allow you to connect to the WiFi. This option is only necessary when you do not have access to the Xfinity account or app.
To unpause Xfinity internet access on your device:
- Go to WiFi on your Device
- Toggle the button to turn off the WiFi
- Wait for a minute and turn on the WiFi on your device
- This should restore your device’s access to the Xfinity internet connection
Note: This option is only used for devices that were once connected to the internet and then paused.
Solution #2 Unpause the Profile Containing Paused Device
The other option to resolve this problem is by resuming a profile. With Xfinity, you can either pause an individual device or pause a profile.
If you have paused the entire profile, you have to resume it so that all the devices will have access to the internet.
To resume a profile, simply click on it and tap on the “Unpause All Devices” option. To awaken a device during its downtime, select the profile and choose the “Wake-Up” option.
Although the device is paused, you can still access the internet through alternative means such as mobile data.
Steps to unpause a device on profile on Xfinity:
- Connect your device to alternative internet if it is the one responsible for controlling the profile
- Login to Xfinity MyAccount or the app
- Go to Personalize
- Select the specific profile you want to unpause
- Select Unpause All
Note: If you have never created profiles for your router users, this method will not apply.
However, if you have a profile for the users you can unpause either one device or all devices.
Solution #3 Unpause Specific Device in Xfinity
To unpause Xfinity Wi-Fi access for a specific device, you can either use the Xfinity app or the Xfinity web page.
All you have to do is log in to your account and navigate to the Devices section.
Under the Connected Devices section, you will see all the devices that are currently connected to your network. Simply select the one you wish to unpause.
- Login to the Xfinity app or the Xfinity web My Account.
- Go to the Devices section
- Tap on Connected Devices
- Locate the device that you want to unpause, usually indicated by a Grey dot
- Tap on the device and select “Unpause device.”
Note: If you do not see the specific device you wish to unpause, chances are that it is part of a profile that you should access to make the changes.
Solution #4 Unpause Devices That Share Names
One of the challenges that most Xfinity users face is trying to manage devices that share names.
In most cases, when a device connects to Xfinity internet it uses its factory name. For instance, if the device is a Samsung S8 phone, it simply may connect as “Samsung S8”
If you have two or more people using a similar make at home, you will not be able to differentiate the devices.
This can make management such as pausing and unpausing a problem. If you wish to unpause such a device start by changing its name, then proceed to manage.
How to personalize the device before unpausing:
- Login to your Xfinity app and go to Connect
- Go to Devices and select “Devices Not Connected”
- Find the Device you wish to unpause
- Tap the Pencil icon on the upper right of the screen to edit the device name.
- Enter the New Name for the device you wish to edit
- After making changes, tap “Apply”
Note: This should be done when the device is still paused to help differentiate it from other similar devices.
Once the name is changed, follow the above step to unpause.
Solution #5 Manage Connected Devices From the Wireless Gateway Admin Tool
The other option available to anyone using an Xfinity router is to set up management from the admin panel.
Under the admin panel, you can decide which device is connected to WiFi and at what time.
In this section, you automatically decide the time when a device will be paused and when it is unpaused.
Steps for managing devices through Xfinity Wireless Gateway:
- Visit http://10.0.0.1
- Login with Xfinity ID and Password
- Navigate to Parental Controls
- Select Managed Devices
- Tap on Add Allowed Devices
- Select the device you wish to unpause from restricted devices and add it to unpause
Note: This method is only helpful to those who have paused their devices via the admin panel and not from the phone app.
The steps on how to unpause a device on Xfinity, are simple and direct. As a matter of fact, you do not have to be an expert to be able to unpause your device.
Unlike other internet service providers, Xfinity gives users backend access.
In other words, you can manage your internet from the user application. You do not have to log in to the admin portal.
From your app, all you have to do is find the paused device and unpause it. The paused device is usually highlighted by a gray dot.
Read Next: How to Fix Xfinity Stream Location Issue?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.