If you are using a locked phone, learn how to unlock Freedom Mobile phone in this guide.
The method of phone unlocking that you choose will determine how long it takes to get the phone unlocked.
For Android and Blackberry devices, the steps you will take are as simple as requesting the unlock code.
To unlock your Freedom/Wind Mobile phone, get the unlock code free of charge from your account. You have to provide your phone’s IME to receive the code. Once you have the code, insert your other SIM into the phone and enter your unlock code. The Canadian government now mandates all mobile providers to unlock devices.
For some iPhones, you may not be able to unlock the phone directly. You have to log in to iTunes to complete the unlock procedures.
To learn more about unlocking your phone keep on reading.
If you are using a phone you purchased from Freedom Mobile, chances are high that it is locked.
This means that your phone can only use a Freedom Mobile SIM card. To change this, you have to unlock your phone so that it can accept other cards.
All carriers including Bell and Rogers lock the phones you buy on credit. For instance, you want to buy the latest Samsung phone.
Instead of paying $1000 for the device, the seller will offer it at a $0 upfront cost. In return, the device is paid for in installments.
For security purposes, mobile networks lock the device to their network. This way, they can be sure you will be committed to paying for the device.
Even so, there is room for unlocking your device if you wish.
For the Freedom Mobile unlock phone process to be done, you must fulfil some conditions.
The conditions to unlock the phone are
- The phone you are unlocking must have been active on the. Freedom Mobile network for more than 90 days.
- The phone must already be paid off entirely. If your device is new, you may be obligated to offset all your remaining amount to unlock it.
- You may be required to pay an unlock fee in some situations. However, the process of unlocking a phone in this guide is completely free of charge.
- You must have the IME to the phone you want to be unlocked
- Your Freedom Mobile SIM should be active so that you can receive the unlock code on your phone.
Note: If you do not know how to find the IME on your phone, you can do so by dialling *#06# on your phone.
Click send and note down the IME number that will show up on your screen.
There are a few simple steps you can follow to unlock your Freedom Mobile phone.
Whether you are using a Samsung, Motorola, LG, iPhone or any other brand does not matter. As long as you have access to the IME of your phone you can proceed.
Here are the steps to check IME on your Smartphone:
- Go to Settings
- Scroll down to About Phone
- Tap once and check to see the IME
- If you are using a dual phone you will have two IME numbers for each SIM slot.
- Once you have your IME proceed with unlocking your phone.
The first option to unlock your Freedom Mobile is by using the unlock code.
Once you have obtained your IME, head to your Freedom Mobile account to obtain the unlock code.
How to get unlock code from Freedom Mobile:
- Go tomyaccount.freedommobile.ca
- Select Selfcare
- Select Unlock Device
- Enter your IME to generate unlock code
- Note your unlock code down for the next steps
Once you have obtained your unlock code, take the next steps to complete unlocking your phone.
Purchase any other SIM card that is not a Freedom Mobile SIM to proceed.
Complete unlocking your Freedom Mobile phone:
- Turn off your phone and insert your non-Freedom Mobile carrier
- Turn on the phone.
- You will be prompted to enter unlock code, enter the code you have written down from the Freedom Mobile account.
- Once you enter the code your phone will be unlocked automatically.
Note: You do not get too many attempts to unlock your phone.
To avoid any problems make sure you are as accurate with the codes as possible. If you mess up several times the phone may be locked permanently.
The second option is to unlock by directly calling Freedom Mobile. This option is not encouraged as you may spend some time before your call is picked up.
Only call Freedom Mobile if you are using a unique device.
Some of the very old devices may fail to generate an unlock code automatically. In such situations call Freedom Mobile.
Call Freedom Mobile from your freedom number or any other number on:
- 611 (Toll-free on Freedom Mobile)
- 1-877-946-3184 (within North America)
- +1-647-700-2435 (Outside North America)
When you call, you have to provide your IME as well. They may either send you an unlock code on your phone or unlock your phone automatically.
Note: If you receive an unlock code, follow the instructions in Step #1 above to complete the unlocking.
Third-party unlock codes can be sourced from phone manufacturer databases. There are third-party sites that can help generate such third-party codes.
The code you generate on these sites is the same as the code you can generate by logging into your Freedom Mobile site.
If you do not have access to your account, simply visit any code-generating site and request it.
To generate code via a third-party site:
- Search IME Unlock Code Generator on your browser
- Click on your preferred code generator site
- Enter your IME to generate the code
- Use the code with the instructions in Step #1 above
Note: Most third-party sites charge a small fee to generate unlock codes for your phone.
If you do not want to pay such fees simply generate your code from Freedom Mobile’s site.
If you are using an iPhone, you may experience some issues unlocking old devices.
Most of the new devices will unlock automatically as long as you initiate unlocking.
However, some of the earliest models may require that you connect to iTunes to complete the process.
After generating an unlock code on Freedom Mobile’s site, here are the steps to follow to complete unlocking your iPhone.
- Connect your phone to a WiFi and turn on “Automatic Connection” to the WiFi.
- Turn off your iPhone and insert the non-Freedom SIM Card
- Turn on your phone and let it connect to your WiFi (Most modern iPhone devices will automatically complete setup online)
- If your device does not unlock automatically use your computer
- Install iTunes to your computer.
- Using a USB cable, connect your phone to the computer
- iTunes should detect your phone and start the unlocking process automatically.
- Once the phone has been unlocked, you will receive a message saying that your phone has been unlocked successfully.
Note: The speed at which your phone unlocks will depend on the speed of your internet.
This process is done fully online and cannot be completed unless both phone and laptop are connected to the internet.
The tips above on how to unlock a Freedom Mobile phone are easy to follow. All you need is to get access to an unlock code.
The Canadian government mandates all carriers to unlock the phone as long as you have paid for it.
You will not have to undergo extra charges to complete unlocking your devices.