You may want to know how to block a number on TELUS landline if you receive regular unknown calls.
One of the most frustrating parts of owning a home phone is receiving constant telemarketers calls.
TELUS provides various ways to block numbers you do not want on a landline.
To block a number on a TELUS landline use the TELUS Call Screening feature. This feature allows you to block up to 12 numbers on your screen list. Besides screening, you can block robotic callers using the Call Control feature.
To learn more about how Call screening and call control work on TELUS landline, keep on reading.
If you are wondering how to block a phone number on a TELUS landline, we have the answer.
TELUS provides two main ways to block unwanted calls:
- Call screen
- Call control
Call Screening is a service that allows you to block numbers that you do not want to receive calls.
When you activate this service, the caller will hear a playback message when they call.
The message simply says “The party you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time.”
If you choose to block calls, TELUS landline offers some good features through call screening.
These features are as follows:
- A maximum list of 12 numbers can be added to your block list at any given time
- If your list is full, you can remove numbers and add other numbers whenever you want.
- If you have activated call forwarding, calls from blocked numbers will not be forwarded.
- You can block a long-distance number as long as you include the area code. Do not include the +1 parts of the number.
- You can add virtual numbers, private, blocked and US numbers to your block list after receiving a call. These numbers cannot be added to the block list directly.
- Call screening offers the block last caller option
Now that you know what to expect with call screening, here are the steps to block all the callers you do not want.
To activate call screening on your landline, pick up the receiver and follow these instructions.
- From your dialer, dial *60
- Listen to the instructions and select 1 or 3
- With that, you will have activated call screening
- From your phone dial *60
- Follow the prompts until you select add number
- Select #
- Enter the area code plus the 7-digit number you want to block
- Select # to complete
- Hang-up and the number will be added
Note: If you want to add several numbers immediately, wait approximately 60 seconds before repeating the steps above.
You cannot add a private number to your blocklist directly. You do not know what private number will be calling.
However, you can add the number if you receive their call.
Here is how to add a personal number to your call list.
- Receive the call when the number calls and wait for 5 seconds. before hanging up. This allows TELUS to recognize the number so that it can be blocked.
- Once you hand up dial *60.
- Select #.
- After the voice prompts select 01.
- Select # again to complete adding the unknown number to the screening list.
Note: This will only be successful if your last received call is from the number you want to block.
If you do this before receiving the unknown number call you will block the person who called last.
Now that you have added the numbers you want to the call screen list, you may also want to remove one.
To remove a number, do the following.
- Dial *60 on your phone.
- Select * and enter the number you want to be removed.
- Select #.
- You will receive an announcement confirming that you have removed the number from the blocklist.
- To remove all numbers on the blocklist dial 09*.
If you ever want to have a look at all the numbers on your blocklist, do so from your dialer.
- Dial *60 from your phone
- Pres 1
- Select 1
- You will receive an announcement indicating whether your call screening is active and the numbers on the list.
You are also allowed to turn call screening off and receive all incoming calls.
To turn call screening off, do the following:
- Dial *60 from your phone
- Select 1 or 3
- That will turn your call screening off.
The second feature that TELUS uses to block callers on your landline is Call Control. This feature blocks all robotic calls.
To ensure that you only receive calls from humans, any number that calls goes through the TELUS system for confirmation.
The caller is required to dial specific numbers on their phone to be put through.
To set up call control, use IVR (Interactive Voice Response). It is important to remember that, this service is not free.
Unlike call screening which is free, call control is not completely free of charge.
The basic features are free but users can upgrade the service at an extra cost.
To activate Call Control do the following
- Dial *99 and follow the prompts
- Turn on call control from your prompts
- Turn off call control when you do not want it
- Move callers to your allowed list when you want
The Call Control Accepted List is a list of numbers that are exempted from being blocked.
These are numbers of frequent important callers that could sometimes be flagged as a disturbance.
It is important to remember that, if a caller fails to provide a code they will be blocked.
TELUS recognizes that there are some genuine callers who may not be able to use an autodialer.
Such numbers should be added to the accepted list to avoid missing their calls.
Call Control like Call Screening offers specific features. If you are going to use this service, you should be aware of what to expect.
The main features you should expect when using this service are:
- Ability to block up to 25 unwanted callers
- Have access to your call log to see the list of the last 10 callers at any time.
- You can add up to 100 numbers to your accepted and block lists
- You have access to view up to 100 of your last calls
- If you want to upgrade the block or accepted list, you can do so at a fee of $3 per month.
To upgrade your service, you have to directly call the TELUS team.
Note: This is not a service that will block calls from humans. It only blocks calls that are from robots and those who cannot use the auto dialer.
This article solves the paradox of how to block a number on a TELUS landline.
If you are a landline user and do not want to receive calls from specific people or numbers, you have the freedom to block them.
You can either use the call screening or call control features on your TELUS phone.
Each of the services has its terms and conditions. Call control only blocks robotic callers while call screening blocks unwanted numbers.
Choose the service to use carefully and stick to the terms of service.
Read Next: How to Fix TELUS Data Not Working?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.