Wondering why Foxtel free to air channels not working iQ5? Well, then, this guide is for you!
This problem is often a result of improper antenna positioning, signal issues, faulty connections, or using a wrong scanning method.
Luckily, in this short guide, we’ll cover all the steps to fix this problem in a matter of minutes, even if you’re a non-techie person.
Whenever your Foxtel FTA channels are not working, check if the antenna or satellite connection is working and reboot the iQ5 receiver. If the issue persists, improve the signal strength and reposition the antenna.
Let’s jump straight into the troubleshooting solutions!
Foxtel Free to Air Channels Not Working iQ5 – Quick Fix!
If you’re experiencing issues with your Foxtel iQ5 free-to-air (FTA) channels via a TV aerial or satellite, follow these troubleshooting steps:
1. Check Your FTA Connections
A connection fault with the FTA cable to your iQ5 could be why channels are not working, as cables are exposed to outdoor elements.
So, inspecting the equipment and reconnecting the FTA connection will refresh the reception of the TV and resolve any issues with the channels.
Follow these steps to check your equipment connections:
- Head over to the FTA aerial point at your home.
- Then, unscrew the cable from the aerial point.
- Next, disconnect the cable from the iQ5 receiver.
- Wait for 30 seconds while the aerial is unplugged.
- Re-screw the aerial back to the box and wall point.
If you find any cuts, breakouts or faults on the FTA cable, you will need to replace it as soon as possible.
Faulty cables can cause signal degradation or loss of channels, so this is important.
Note: If there’s not a screw point, simply unplug the FTA aerial and then replug it.
2. Reboot Your Foxtel iQ5 TV Box
Another possibility can be that a software bug or glitch with the box might be preventing it from discovering and adding free-to-air channels.
In such a case, rebooting the iQ5 is an ideal fix as this will clear out all temporary glitches and refresh its connections with the Foxtel FTA signal.
Here’s how to reboot your iQ5 box in easy steps:
- Locate the Power or Standby button on the box.
- Press and hold the button for about 10 seconds.
- Release the button and let the box reboot itself.
Note: The reboot can maximum take up to 5 minutes, so be patient throughout. Once it boots up, check if the free-to-air channels are working now.
3. Re-Scan for the FTA Channels
If you still can’t get free to air channels on Foxtel, such as poor reception or missing channels, rescanning fixes these issues.
This is especially useful if you’ve recently moved your antenna or if there have been changes in your surroundings that might affect your FTA signal strength.
Follow these steps to rescan the free-to-air channels:
- Push the Home button on the Foxtel remote.
- Go over to the “Settings” section on the box.
- Select Local Channels/Terrestrial Channels.
- Choose Full Scan and then select Begin Scan.
The rescanning of free-to-air channels may take up to 30 minutes or more, so avoid pressing any buttons.
Once the FTA scanning is done, check to see if the channels are now available.
Note: If the channel fails, your signal strength is bad!
4. Improve Your Signal Strength
Proper alignment of the FTA antenna or satellite dish is crucial for receiving a strong and clear signal.
If the incoming signal is weak, the TV box won’t be able to scan the free-to-air channels.
Here are some ways to improve signal strength:
- Adjust FTA Antenna Position: If you’re using a TV aerial or an indoor antenna, adjust its position to get a better signal. Move it near an open window or ensure a direct line of sight with the sky.
- Use a Signal Amplifier: For weak satellite signals, consider using a signal amplifier to boost the signal strength that is reaching your Foxtel iQ5 box.
- Check for Interference: Dislocate any potential sources of signal interference, such as electrical appliances or other electronic devices. Verify the dish isn’t covered/obstructed.
If everything is in order, maybe the problem is with the FTA aerial itself.
To identify if that’s the case, simply connect your free-to-air cable directly at the back of the TV instead of an iQ5 box.
5. Verify Your iQ5 Box Internet
When you’re experiencing free-to-air channel issues on your iQ5 box, checking the internet connection is an essential step to eliminate potential connectivity-related problems.
Therefore, check to ensure that your iQ5 TV box is connected to stable internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
Here are the steps to check the iQ5 internet connection:
- Press Home or Library on the Foxtel remote.
- Then, go right to the Settings tab on the TV.
- Scroll down to enter “Internet Connection.”
- Then, press Select to check for the internet.
You will see a status line on top of the screen saying if the iQ5 is connected to the internet and by which method.
If your iQ5 is not connected to the internet, you’ll need to connect it to access the FTA channels and other features.
Tip: If the box is connected via an Ethernet cable, disconnect it and then reconnect it firmly.
6. Refresh the iQ5 App Session
On the Foxtel iQ5, you can access free-to-air channels on various apps such as SBS On Demand, ABC, etc.
If you are experiencing issues with any of these apps, you should refresh the login session.
This will clear any glitches and help establish a fresh connection.
Here are the easy steps to refresh the app login session:
- Hit Home or Library on the Foxtel remote.
- Scroll left and head over to the “Apps” tab.
- Choose the app on which you have issues.
- Log out of the app and restart the iQ5 box.
- Then, open the application and log back in.
Note: Afterward, check if the free-to-air channels are now functioning properly on your iQ5!
7. Reset Your iQ5 TV Box Apps
Over time, minor glitches and corrupted files can potentially affect the Foxtel iQ5 application functionality.
Therefore, resetting the apps will come in handy as this will clear your app data, including login details, and refresh its state, which may resolve your FTA channel workability.
Follow these steps to reset the apps on iQ5:
- Hit the Home button on the Foxtel remote.
- Go to “Settings” → “Advanced Settings.”
- Then, go over to the “Reset Apps” option.
- Finally, select “Yes, Reset Apps” to confirm.
Reminder: After resetting the apps, you will need to log in to all the free-to-air apps to access the channels.
8. Update Your Foxtel iQ5 Box
If your Foxtel iQ5 free to air channels not working still, it’s time to update your box manually.
This method will eliminate the possibility of an old operating system interfering with your FTA channel scan and hopefully resolve your problem as soon as the update is done.
Here’s how to update your Foxtel iQ5 receiver in easy steps:
- Verify that you’re seeing your iQ5 picture on the TV.
- Enter Standby mode by pressing the Power button.
- Hold the Standby button continuously for 7 seconds.
- Wait for the indicator light on the iQ5 box to turn blue.
- After the blue light, quickly press the Standby 3 times.
Your iQ5 TV box will start updating. You will see the update notifications on-screen, so remain patient until your box is up to date.
Then, you can perform an FTA channel rescan to check if the channels will now start appearing.
Note: Based on your service connection, the update may take up to 15 minutes!
9. Perform a Soft iQ5 Box Reset
The problem could be related to your iQ5 box software rather than the Aerial connection.
So, you would need to perform a soft reset that will erase the cache data of your box but will keep your recordings and schedules intact.
Here’s how to soft reset your Foxtel iQ5 receiver:
- Go to the Settings and enter “Advanced Settings.”
- Then, select “Reset iQ System” and “Yes, Reset.”
- Insert the PIN code by using your Foxtel iQ remote.
- Info: If not changed, the default PIN code is “1234.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your box.
The machine will restart after completing these steps, but you won’t be prompted to perform any initialisation.
You can simply go ahead and perform an FTA channel scan to check whether this time the channels will be added.
If the same problem continues, proceed with the full reset!
Note: This is a soft reset and won’t erase any valuable data!
10. Perform a Full iQ5 Box Reset
If you’ve tried all the steps but free-to-air channels are not working, we recommend you perform a full system reset on your iQ5.
This will permanently erase all software settings, saved data, and files in your TV and revert the box to the default state, so don’t forget to create your backup!
Here are the steps to factory reset the iQ5:
- Hit Library or Home on the Foxtel TV remote.
- Then, scroll left toward the “Settings” section.
- Scroll down and choose Advanced Settings.
- Press “0-6-1-1- Select” on your Foxtel remote.
- Then, scroll over to the Installer Setup option.
- Select “Full System Reset” and then “Select.”
Your iQ5 box will reboot several times during the reset process and boot up once the box is fully reset.
After that, you’ll need to set up your device and all the settings again, and this time, you’ll be prompted to carry out the initialisation.
When you are ready, re-scan for the FTA channels.
Tip: If nothing works out, contact Foxtel Support to book a call or a technician visit!
Whenever your Foxtel free-to-air channels not working iQ5, reboot the TV box, check the aerial connection, re-scan for the channels and adjust the antenna or dish.
Additionally, you can resolve software-related issues by performing a soft or full iQ5 box restoration.
Follow us for more Foxtel iQ5 troubleshooting guides!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.