Whenever the Fitbit Sense heart rate not working, it’s either a deactivated heart monitor feature or misconfigured software settings.
However, there are many factors involved so, stay with us to learn all about the Fitbit Sense’s heart rate monitor and how to solve the issue!
If the Fitbit Sense’s heart rate monitor feature is not working properly or at all, check if it is enabled through the Fitbit application and then reboot the Sense watch.
If the problem persists, update the firmware of the Fitbit Sense and revert the device to factory defaults.
Let’s keep unwrapping the details!
Why Isn’t My Heart Rate Working On My Fitbit Sense?
If you’re encountering a problem while attempting to view your Fitbit Sense heart rate readings, chances are that there’s a problem with the physical condition of the watch.
Not placing the watch appropriately or even damaging the heart rate sensor can result in this type of problem.
Let’s review all of the possible causes that could result in Fitbit Sense heart rate issue:
These are the possibilities where the heart rate monitor won’t work on Fitbit Sense watch.
Well, we’ve prepared a complete guide to address any occasion so without further ado, let’s jump in!
Fitbit Sense Heart Rate Not Working – Fixed in 7 Steps!
Tip: Follow the steps below in chronological order!
1. Set the Monitor to “Auto” or “On”!
If the heart rate monitor displays “0”, it is likely that the feature has been deactivated within the Fitbit mobile application.
In order for the monitor to display your body’s heart rate accurately, the feature must either be set to “Auto” or to “On” in the settings of the Fitbit Sense devices.
Here’s how to navigate through the settings of the Fitbit app:
- Open the Fitbit app on the connected mobile device.
- Swipe towards the left from the Sense’s clock face.
- Stop swiping once you’ve reached the “Heart Rate”.
- Tap the tile to access the advanced feature settings.
- Set the heart rate monitor either to “On” or to “Auto”.
Difference Between “On” and “Auto”?
If the heart rate monitor is set to “ON”, the Sense device will be constantly tracking your heart rate.
The “Auto” setting activates the heart rate monitor only during a physical activity task and displays health-related results based on your heart rate readings.
Note: The majority of Fitbit Sense users prefer the heart rate monitor set to “Auto”!
2. Relax your Wrist Temporarily
The Fitbit Sense device might be unable to accurately detect your heart rate during intensive physical workouts.
To determine if the heart rate monitor is working or not, relax your wrist for up to 15 seconds and check if there will be a heart rate reading.
Constantly shaking or moving your wrist around could be the reason why Fitbit Sense is unable to acquire a proper reading of your heart rate.
By standing still for half a minute, the watch will begin to pick up the impulses of the body and display a highly accurate heart rate reading.
Note: It’s best to lay your hand at rest and wait for the heart rate monitor to display results!
3. Tighten the Fitbit Sense Band
If the Fitbit watch is not properly tightened around your wrist, the heart rate monitor feature will be unable to pick up your heart rate correctly.
This will prevent the monitor from picking up a good reading and displaying appropriate heart rate and health recommendations.
Verify that the band of the Fitbit Sense is tightly secured on your wrist!
You shouldn’t over-tighten the smartband but ensure the bottom part is in contact with the top part of your wrist.
In addition, check for any visible damage to the band or whether the band’s sensors are not covered, preventing their contact with your wrist.
Note: It is recommended to test with the original Fitbit Sense leash!
4. Restart & Re-Charge your Fitbit
The heart rate monitor may not function properly, especially if there’s a temporal software issue with the Fitbit device or if the battery is running low.
This method will guide you through some general troubleshooting tips for a malfunctioning Fitbit device and heart rate monitor failure.
Here’s how to reboot the Fitbit device and re-charge the battery:
- Connect the Fitbit Sense device to power (charging).
- Press and hold the side button for at least 10 seconds.
- Release when the Fitbit logo is displayed on the screen.
- Keep the device connected to the charger for 40 minutes.
Note: Feel free to perform another heart rate monitor test when the Fitbit band is re-charged to maximum battery level.
5. Update the Fitbit’s Firmware!
Another reason for the malfunctioning Fitbit heart rate monitor could be an outdated firmware version of the watch.
This is why before continuing any further, we recommend checking for updates, manually on your Fitbit Sense watch.
Follow these instructions to update the firmware of the Fitbit Sense watch:
- Optional: connect the Fitbit Sense watch to the charger.
- Open the Fitbit app on your iOS or Android mobile device.
- Tap the “Today” tab and then select your profile picture.
- Press your device image and hit the pink “Update” button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.
The update shouldn’t take longer than several minutes so remain patient and don’t forget that the watch must be connected to the internet.
Well, when the Fitbit Sense is up to date, start a heart rate test to see whether updating to the latest firmware worked.
If not, keep reading…
6. Reinstall the Fitbit Application!
To resolve the problem with the heart rate monitor, you should uninstall the Fitbit app and then download it again.
This will resolve any problems related to misconfigured settings or outdated firmware versions of the Fitbit app and fix the heart rate monitor feature.
Follow these instructions to reinstall the Fitbit app easily:
- First, access the Settings on your mobile device.
- Navigate to the “Applications tab in the settings.
- Use the search field or manually search “Fitbit”.
- Then, highlight the Fitbit app to access the settings.
- Choose the “Uninstall Now” option from the menu.
- Wait until the Fitbit app is erased from the device.
- Access the Google Play/App Store on your device.
- Press the search field and type “Fitbit” to display results.
- Press on the Fitbit app and hit the “Download” button.
Note: When the application is cleanly installed on your mobile, you’ll need to sign into your account to access your watch.
7. Restore the Fitbit to Default!
A potential misconfiguration or improper management of the device settings could result in issues with the Fitbit Sense heart rate monitor feature.
To correct the problem quickly and efficiently, this method will guide you through the complete factory reset process on Fitbit.
Alert: The factory reset is going to erase all content and settings stored on the Fitbit device!
Here’s how to perform a factory reset on your Fitbit Sense device:
- First, swipe left from the home screen of the Fitbit device.
- Tap the settings icon once you’ve reached it (a gear icon).
- Scroll the Fitbit device’s menu vertically and go to “About”.
- Go to the “Factory Reset” option and press the “OK” button.
- Then, wait until the Fitbit Sense device has finished initializing.
- Set up the Fitbit Sense’s initial settings to pair to the watch.
Note: Once the factory reset is complete, you will be back at the initial setup of the device!
Need More Help?
If the heart rate monitor of your Fitbit Sense is still failing to work, it is best to get directly in touch with Fitbit and discuss the problem.
Feel free to call Fitbit during their working hours at (877) 623 – 4997 or leave an email at @FitbitSupport.
Thus, the best solution when the Fitbit Sense heart rate not working is to re-activate the feature first and then reboot the device to refresh the heart rate readings.
If the issue is still there, update the firmware of the Fitbit device and perform a factory restoration.
Follow our blog for more helpful troubleshooting content!