If the Eero not connecting to internet, then there might be something wrong with either your Eero or the network device.
In this step-by-step tutorial, we will cover everything that has to be done to establish a connection so you can be confident that you’re doing it right.
If your Eero is not connecting to the internet, the problem could be coming from the unit itself, your modem, or the mobile application. There are also some well-known glitches that might produce connectivity issues and here we will tackle them all.
Before we jump straight into the steps, it would be better if you first take a look at ALL possible causes so know what you’re up against.
Like any other device, there are a variety of possibilities that can interfere with Eero’s capability of connecting.
Here is a list of ALL known causes that could be related to your problem:
1. OS Glitch
Eero’s software is responsible for executing tasks including the service responsible for the WiFi. Software often glitches and needs to be restarted.
2. Network Device Issue
The router you’re using to emit the WiFi, could sometimes fail to work properly, thus your Eero won’t be able to connect.
3. No Bridge Mode
For devices that are modems and routers at the same time, also known as “combo devices”, the bridge mode is necessary. You need to turn it ON.
4. Application Problem
Maybe something went wrong when you were adding your Eero to the mobile app, thus you’ll need to re-add it.
5. Internet Problem
Lastly, if the internet itself is slow or experiencing outages, Eero will not be able to connect, regardless of what you’re trying.
With the possibilities upfront, you should now proceed with the steps below and solve your issue in a matter of minutes.
Since the Eero setup process is essential in regard to its functionality, first you’ll need to make sure that everything is established up properly.
Our first step will address the installation process so you can be confident that you’ve everything right.
The setup process requires some attention and if something went wrong, your Eero might not be able to connect to the internet.
The steps below describe how to sup Eero precisely so you so make sure to go over the setup to find out if you’re missing something.
- Download & Install the Eero mobile app, available for Android and iOS.
- Log in to your Eero account.
- Connect the Eero device to your modem/router via Ethernet cable.
- The Eero light should start flashing in white.
- Using the application, set up the Eero network (if asked for a serial number, you can find it on a sticker on the bottom of the device).
- Using the app, add your Eero device to the network that you’ve created.
Note: It’s important to know whether the Ethernet cable connecting your Eero getaway and router, is working properly.
If you have a spare cable, don’t hesitate to replace yours.
At this point, your Eero setup is ready for use. However, in case the network does not appear and you cannot connect devices, there might be something wrong with the internet itself.
The Eero network requires a working internet connection coming from your router/modem. If there is no internet, Eero will not be able to connect, thus it won’t work.
In that regard, it would be appropriate to hard reset the two essential devices in your equipment.
Hard Reset Router
- Unplug the Internet cable out of your router.
- Unplug the Ethernet cable (the getaway connection to your Eero).
- Turn OFF your router using the power button.
- Unplug the router from the power outlet.
- Wait for about 5 minutes.
- Reconnect the cables except for the Ethernet connection to the Eero getaway.
Hard Reset Eero
- Unplug the Eero device out of the power outlet.
- Wait for approximately 5 minutes.
- Reconnect the power adapter and turn on the device.
- Wait for about 2 minutes.
Once you’re ready with the hard reset of both your devices, you can reconnect the getaway Ethernet cable and check if Eero will not connect to the internet.
Note: You should NOT proceed any further in case there are issues with your internet. Test the WiFi on any device to determine whether the internet is reliable or not.
In case you’re using a combo device, which basically means a router and modem in one unit, you should definitely enable the Bridge Mode.
That can easily happen through the Eero settings in the mobile app so follow the steps below:
- Open the mobile Eero application.
- Go to Settings on the top right.
- Go to Advanced Settings.
- Choose DHCP & NAT.
- Switch from Automatic to Bridge Mode.
- Confirm by tapping on Save.
Now if there is no change and your Eero is still not able to connect to the internet, scroll up to step #2 and hard reset your equipment one more time.
Deleting and re-installing the Eero application has been commonly recommended by users having the same problem since it really helps.
In case there is an issue with your account or mobile app, by clean installation, the problem should disappear.
Here is how to cleanly install the mobile app:
- Delete the application from your smartphone.
- Open the dedicated App Store and re-download it.
- Once downloaded, log in to your account.
- Scroll up to Step #1, to connect your Eero to the app.
If the issue persists, there is one more thing you can do before reaching out to the Eero customer service for help. Let’s find out what.
If your Eero not connecting to the internet even after all previous steps there is one type of reset that will erase everything.
The last option you’ve got is to entirely reset the device and perform the whole setup over again.
Here is how to factory reset your Eero:
- On the bottom of your device, locate the reset button.
- Press and hold the button for approximately 20 seconds.
- Release when the LED starts to flash in red.
- Wait until the led starts flashing in blue.
The blue light indicates that Eero is in a setup mode ready to be established. You can go back to Step #1, for one last time to carry out the setup process from the beginning.
In case the issue persists through ALL troubleshooting steps you would need external assistance.
Reach out to Eero customer service or call them for a conversation in which you should report your problem and discuss alternative solutions.
Read Next: How to Fix Eero Port Forwarding Not Working?
Now when you know why the Eero not connecting to internet, by using our troubleshooting steps, you should be able to solve the problem in no time.
However, if the issue persists, maybe you’ve been shipped a faulty unit your probably your router is not functioning well.
All these possibilities you can discuss with the Eero support team and your ISP so that would be your next step.
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.