DirecTV troubleshooting no signal is not a complex procedure and only requires your attention invested for several minutes throughout this guide.
Let’s begin with the essentials!
Troubleshooting “no signal” on DirecTV is done by checking the dish’s alignment and identifying issues with the software of the receiver.
If you’re still getting the same fault, determine if there’s a DirecTV outage and reset the settings of the receiver!
Let’s keep unwrapping!
7 Reasons Causing DirecTV No Signal?
- Improper weather conditions
- Incorrect satellite alignment
- An issue with the connections
- Ongoing DirecTV outage
- An issue with your receiver
- Problem with the splitter
- Incorrect receiver settings
DirecTV – “No Signal” Message?
All of the causes we’ve listed above are the main protagonists of the “no signal” message on DirecTV.
Hence, when the satellite receiver can’t receive a signal, the streaming is restricted.
“No Signal” – Error Code?
The DirecTV “no signal” message is error code “771”. Users who are not getting any signal on their DirecTV receives are probably getting this code, also explained in the user manual.
The error code is solved the same way as the “no signal” message so jump into the solution guide!
DirecTV No Signal Troubleshooting – Proven Solutions!
Tip: Test the signal on your DirecTV receiver after each of our solutions!
1. Reboot your DirecTV Receiver
The best first step is to reboot the DirecTV receiver.
If the problem is only temporary, the restart is the best approach as it targets any hardware, software, and functionality issues with your DirecTV satellite receiver.
- Unplug your DirecTV receiver from power for 4-5 minutes!
Info: Keep the receiver unplugged for as long as you can to perform a “power cycle”, which helps discharge the receiver and refresh the signal.
2. Wait Bad Weather Conditions
Since DirecTV is one of the most reliable satellite services out there, it is on rare occasions that you will have no satellite coverage on your receiver.
Mind that this sudden outage can be caused by heavy thunderstorms or windy conditions outside.
How Long Do Weather Outages Last?
On DirecTV, you may experience an outage for up to 15-20 minutes each day, for about 5-7 days of the week, during solar interference.
Whereas outages caused by extreme conditions only last while the weather is bad and the signal should improve immediately after.
Tip: To check for ongoing outages go to DirecTV Service Outage, then select Satellite Customer and insert your zip code for more information.
3. Reconnect the Satellite Cable
If your DirecTV receiver lost connection to the satellite dish, you will receive an error notifying you that no signal is available.
Your satellite dish connects with the receiver via satellite cable (RG6 Coax cable) that is usually installed by DirecTV technicians.
- Reconnecting the satellite cable will refresh the signal on your receiver!
Here’s how to find and reconnect the satellite cable of your DirecTV receiver:
- Examine the back panel of your DirecTV satellite receiver.
- Locate the “LNB” port on the back of the receiver device.
- Unplug the coaxial (satellite) cable going into the “LNB” port.
- Wait for 30-40 seconds while the cable is disconnected.
- Reconnect the cable of your satellite dish into the receiver.
Tip: While the cable is disconnected, inspect the part of the cable that comes inside your house.
In addition, inspect the connector, ports, and the condition of the cable’s body and its path.
4. Switch the HDMI Input
Instead of the receiver saying “no signal”, it could be your TV that’s indicating that the satellite receiver TV has failed to display the broadcast.
This happens when the HDMI connection between your DirecTV receiver and TV is loose or goes faulty!
- The solution is to switch to a different available HDMI input!
Here’s how to switch the HDMI input and source on your DirecTV setup:
- Locate the DirecTV receiver’s HDMI cable, going into the TV.
- Unplug the HDMI of DirecTV’s satellite receiver from the port.
- Find an available HDMI input on the back/side panel of your TV.
- Connect the HDMI cable of your satellite receiver to the port.
- Using your TV’s remote control, access the Source Menu.
- Select the source, reflecting the number on the new HDMI port.
Example: If your receiver was on the “HDMI 1” port until now, you will have to switch it to “HDMI 2” or “HDMI 3” from the TV sources menu.
5. Reset the Satellite Receiver
The reset is also included in the DirecTV troubleshooting no signal process, and more specifically – a factory reset of the satellite receiver.
This will, however, reset all settings on the DirecTV receiver and cleanly reinstall the operating system, in which all data will be lost.
- Your DirecTV receiver is reset by holding the “reset” button on the back!
Follow these detailed steps to factory reset your DirecTV receiver:
- Locate the reset button (either located on the side or back panel).
- Press and hold the red reset button for about 10-15 seconds.
- Wait for your receiver to first shut down and perform a reboot.
Alert: Do not unplug the DirecTV receiver from the power during the reset process!
6. Check for Damage on the Splitter!
If you’re using a signal splitter to connect multiple receivers to your DirecTV satellite dish, there could be a problem with where the two satellite cables split up.
The signal splitter has two ports on one side and one port on the other, allowing for up to two receivers to connect.
Here’s how to inspect the signal splitter in your DirecTV setup:
- Disconnect both coaxial cables from the splitter.
- Unplug the satellite cable from the “LNB” port.
- Thoroughly inspect the ports on the splitter.
A Faulty Splitter?
You should especially watch out for the following faults on the splitter:
- One of the ports has broken components
- The body of the splitter is broken
- One or both ports are loose/coming out
Tip: To test the ports on your signal splitter, connect one of the coaxial cables and make sure it is secured into the connector.
Wiggle the cable a little and check for any loose components.
7. Re-align the Satellite Dish!
There’s a specific alignment setting to your DirecTV satellite dish, in order to receive proper signal with good strength.
If not aligned properly, your dish may not even be detecting the frequency radio tower, hence you’ll get “no signal” constantly.
What You’ll Need:
- A string on a weight (to measure the angle of the dish)
- An appropriate screwdriver (Philips-head in most cases)
- A ladder or a supportive object (if the dish is in a high place)
How to Align a DirecTV Satellite Dish:
- Use your ladder or supportive object to reach the position of the dish.
- Using the screwdriver, loosen the bolts of the satellite dish’s stance.
- Use the spring on the weight to start measuring the angle of the dish.
- Set the dish to 51-degree elevation so it connects with DirecTV properly.
- Tighten the screws once you’ve realigned the dish.
Alert: If you’re having trouble reaching the position of the dish, DO NOT attempt anything dangerous and contact DirecTV or call a professional to solve the issue.
DirecTV Black – Gray – Blue Screen Solution!
On older TVs, you may or may not see a “no signal” message, and in some cases, it’s a pitch black, gray, or blue screen.
The solution is often in the video cable between the DirecTV receiver and the TV, which is not always HDMI.
Older TV connects via 10 PIN to RCA and when one of the three connectors is loose, the signal gets lost.
The best way to identify such video-related issues, test your DirecTV receiver on another monitor or television.
Note: In case the DirecTV receiver works with another TV and the signal is there, purchase a replacement 10 PIN to RCA Cable to solve the signal issue.
If you’re still here, and the DirecTV receiver is still showing “no signal” the next best step is to seek qualified assistance.
DirecTV is always on the line, available 7 days a week, between 8 AM and 12 AM EST, and can be contacted at – 888 388 4249.
Now we’ve learned what DirecTV troubleshooting no signal involves and that the most essential factor is the coaxial (input) cable.
The next thing to inspect is the DirecTV receiver and in case the issue is persistent, perform a factory restoration!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.