council tax moving home

Council Tax Moving Home : Ultimate Guide

Council tax moving home is significant if you decide to change your location. Moving means preparations, especially in administrative tasks.

If you are planning to change your residence, council tax is included in this task, yet some people forget it. Unfortunately, this results in inconveniences like paying two taxes or unnecessary harassments.

The process of moving out takes time to have it done. If you are confused about how to get started do not worry.

Head on to this article and know the process of transfer when moving out to your new home.

Council Tax Moving House

council tax moving house

The tax authorities should be informed about your change of address as soon as you confirm it. This step is to ensure that your details are set correctly in their database and avoid future confusion.

Your council payment depends on various factors. If you have brought a new home or rented a new one and you are going to shift to that new place, you should intimate the authorities about it.

When you enter your new home, the taxation starts on the day of entry at your new residence. While your old details will expire the day, you left your old home.

So, the earlier you inform the better is for you.

If you move to a new building or a newly renovated property, it needs to be banded by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) in that area. VOA oversees assessing the property to determine the tax rate.

Initiating the Move

council tax move

If you are confused about how to cancel council tax when moving home, the first thing you should remember that you should inform the authorities well in advance.

The ideal time to report about your change of address must be a few weeks from the time you will move. This is to avoid you from inconveniences like time constraints.

Also, knowing where you will move can affect your tax rate. It can either oblige you to pay you more than what is intended. You can spend enough for now but will settle the excess all at once later.

You will need the following details while you initiate a move:

  • You council tax number
  • Name and address
  • Your new address
  • Date of move
  • Date of sale if the property is sold
  • Your new landlord details
  • Name of the incoming person if you know

Council Tax Moving Home Procedure

The process is simple. You must inform your old taxation office about the change and when you move to a new home, inform the next local one.

For your convenience, you can always check out your local council taxation website for more details.

When You Move Within the Area

within the same area

For council tax moving house but within the same area, there is less hassle. If you have your old council tax bill, it will do most of the work for you.

Almost every state will require you to fill out a form once. A sample form of Woking can be found on their website.

On this form, you will need the following details:

1. Renter Details. If you are a tenant, the information about your landlord or agent and any other renter details

2. Owner Details. If you are a buyer or seller of the property, the details about the solicitor and any joint owner’s information

When You Move Out To New Area

outside the area

If you decide to live outside the area, you also must report to your local authorities once you confirm your decision to move out.

Here also you need to inform the local taxation authority about your move. Next, you need to fill out their usual form and submit it.

Next, you should inform your new area of taxation authority about the address you intend to stay either purchased or rented. This will help your taxation authority to keep your details updated in their records.

Here, you will need to give these additional information:

1. Bank Details. Your bank details if you prefer to use a direct debit in settling your council tax

2. Rent Details. If you are a tenant, the information about your landlord or agent and any other renter details

3. Owner Info. If you are a buyer or seller of the property, the details about the solicitor and any joint owner’s information

Remember you also must prepare your landlord’s details and any joint details if you are an occupant or your solicitor’s details.

If you have sold your old building you may need to show that information also.

Formalities After the Transfer

after the trannsfer

Once the necessary information and forms have settled, your new local area will issue your latest council tax details. You must verify if the details are updated or not.

The processing usually lasts for twenty days. If you have not received within this timeframe, you must follow up.

Remember, if there will be significant changes in your payment details, it might take longer than the usual timeline.

If you want direct debit to settle it, you need to provide your bank information while submitting the transfer form.

Also, it is a good idea to inform your bank about it. If done, your tax will get debited automatically without any manual deposit.

Reimbursements & Overpayment Issues

Refunds and some adjustments sometimes happen for various reasons. If you paid earlier, the overpayment would be credited from your old account to the new one.

If you are overpaid and move out from a different area you can expect a refund at your bank. Be sure to provide them your bank details, especially for these cases.

The Checklist To Follow

checklist council tax moving home

There are instances that you may get lost track of the things the local authorities need as you need to move home.

Check out the following and use this as your checklist on what they must know about your residence transfer:

  • Your personal information
  • The place you are moving from
  • The location you are driving at
  • The final date of your transfer
  • Are you a tenant or the owner of the property you’re residing.
  • The names of the previous and new owner of the building
  • The building’s condition is furnished or not
  • The state of the building is furnished or not
  • The solicitor’s name and address
  • The owner’s name and address
  • The date your occupancy started/ended (if applicable)
  • Whether the building has left already furnished or not
  • The date when the building is repossessed and the new mortgage frontrunner 


Deciding to transfer to a new home sounds exciting yet challenging to do. With so many things to meet and require, never forget to include your council tax on your list.

Considering your council tax moving home will save your pockets and your time and convenience as well.

Leave a Comment!

error: Alert: Content is protected !!