Can’t pair Hive thermostat to app? You’re not alone in experiencing Hive pairing difficulties!
If you’re encountering issues with the initial setup of the Hive thermostat or the Hive application, it could be due to issues with the Wi-Fi connectivity or the firmware.
This guide will cover why the Hive thermostat is not pairing to the app and the best-working solutions to solve the issue.
When the Hive thermostat can’t pair with the mobile app, reboot the network router and update the firmware version of the platform. If the issue persists, conduct a power cycle on the Hive thermostat, and as a last resort, perform a system reset to restore settings.
Continue reading to unwrap the essentials!
Why is the Hive App Not Pairing with Thermostat?
Here are the reasons why the Hive thermostat won’t connect with the thermostat:
How to Connect a Hive Thermostat to Hive App?
- Open the Hive app on your Android/iOS device.
- Go to “Device Management” > “Add Device”.
- Select the type of thermostat you wish to add.
- Pick the Wi-Fi network to connect with Hive.
- Follow the remaining on-screen instructions.
Note: The Hive thermostat will appear in the “Devices” section if the setup is complete!
Do I Need a Hive Hub to Connect the Thermostat?
If you wish to control the Hive devices remotely, you need the Hive smart home hub.
The hub establishes a connection with the Hive thermostat once connected to one of the ports on your network router.
The thermostat will receive updates periodically whenever the hub is online.
Can’t Pair Hive Thermostat to App – 6 Working Solutions!
Tip: Follow the solution steps chronologically!
1. Update the Hive App Version
The first step to resolving connectivity issues involving the Hive thermostat application is updating the platform to the most current firmware.
Updates are periodically released for Android and iOS, so this is your top priority if the app fails to connect with the thermostat.
To update applications, the mobile device must be connected to the internet!
How to Update the Hive App On Android?
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android phone/tablet.
- Press on the profile icon found at the top-right of the screen.
- Then, select “Manage Installed Applications” from the menu.
- Scroll down and locate the Hive app in the list of applications.
- Press the “Update” next to the Hive app to begin the process.
How to Update the Hive App On iOS?
- First, open the App Store on your iPhone/iPad device.
- Tap on the profile icon button at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down to “Pending Updates and release notes”.
- Next, find the Hive application in the list of platforms.
- Then, press the “Update” button to initiate the process.
Tip: To update all installed applications on the mobile device, select the “Update” button!
2. Power Cycle the Thermostat & Hub!
The power circulation process on the thermostat and the Hive smart hub is recommended to address functionality issues with the Hive system.
The power cycle is an effective type of reset that will discharge the thermostat and hub’s hardware, refresh all services and reboot the OS.
How to Power Cycle Hive Thermostat?
- First, press the release tab at the bottom underside of the thermostat.
- Then, gently pull the Hive towards you and upwards to force-release it.
- Eject the batteries inside of the Hive thermostat’s battery compartment.
- Wait for 60 seconds and reinstall the batteries of the Hive thermostat.
How to Power Cycle Hive Smart Hub?
- Disconnect the power supply cable from the power outlet.
- Unplug the other end of the cable from the Hive smart hub.
- Wait for 60 seconds while the Hive smart hub is unplugged.
- Reinsert the power adapter of the hub back into the outlet.
How to Replace Thermostat Batteries?
The Hive thermostat uses backup batteries in case the main power supply from the A/C circuit breaker fails.
To address functionality issues with the Hive thermostat’s power supply, inserting four fully charged AA batteries in the device’s compartment is recommended.
Note: The Hive thermostat mini takes 4 AAA batteries!
3. Clear the Cache of the Hive App!
The Hive application’s functionality could be impacted due to an uncleared system cache.
The excess data files piling up over time are there to optimise the app’s performance, but in some cases, they cause the opposite because of file corruption or another data-related fault.
How to Clear App Cache On Android?
- Open the Settings and go down to “Apps”.
- Tap on “See All” at the bottom of the menu.
- Scroll down and press on the “Hive” app.
- Tap “Storage and cache” > “Clear Cache”.
- To finalise the clearing, tap “Clear Data”.
How to “Offload” Apps On iOS?
Note: On iOS, you cannot erase the cache, but you can offload the app!
- Open the Settings app on the iPhone/iPad device.
- After that, navigate to “General” > “iPhone Storage”.
- Press on the Hive app and select “Offload App”.
- Press “Offload App” once again for confirmation.
- Wait for 10 seconds and press “Reload Hive App”.
Note: You must sign into your Hive app account again when the cache has been cleared!
4. Power Cycle the Network Router
The Hive application might be registering the Hive thermostat as offline if there’s a drop in the Wi-Fi connection.
To address issues with the connectivity of the thermostat and your mobile device, the next step is to reboot the network router by unplugging it from the power supply.
Here’s how to reboot the network router and address Wi-Fi issues:
- First, hold the “power” button on your network router.
- Once the router powers off, unplug the power adapter.
- Wait for 60 seconds while the router is disconnected.
- Reconnect the power cable into the electrical outlet.
- Wait for the router to turn on and test the Hive app.
Reminder: Your WiFi router might take up to 3 minutes to become online after the restart!
5. Uninstall and Reinstall the Hive App!
If you’re still facing issues with connecting the Hive thermostat, it is recommended to uninstall and then reinstall the Hive application.
This is an excellent solution if the software files of the Hive application are corrupted, or there are other underlying issues with the app’s data or files.
Follow these steps to reinstall the Hive app on your mobile device easily:
- Open the Settings of the mobile and go to “Apps”.
- Locate the Hive app in the list of installed platforms.
- Highlight the app and select the “Uninstall” option.
- Wait until the Hive app has successfully uninstalled.
- Open the App Store or Google Play on the device.
- Tap the search field, type “Hive”, and then search.
- Press on the first application and select “Download”.
- Wait until the Hive app gets installed on your device.
Remember that uninstalling the Hive application will erase all configurations and settings you’ve adjusted within the app.
You will also be signed out of the associated user account, and any devices added to the account will also be removed.
Tip: Activate “Automatic Updates” for the Hive application!
6. Factory Reset the Hive Thermostat
To resolve all underlying issues with the Hive thermostat and restore the functionality of the Hive application, it is advised to conduct a factory reset.
This process will permanently delete all thermostat settings, and we recommend backing up any settings you want to keep!
Follow these steps to factory reset the Hive thermostat in easy steps:
- Find the three action buttons below the dial on the thermostat.
- Hold the button on the left and the button in the middle together.
- Wait for a countdown to appear on the screen of the thermostat.
- Once the “Factory Reset” message occurs, release the buttons.
When the factory reset starts, you cannot interact with the Hive thermostat for 2-3 minutes until the process is complete.
In addition, do not disconnect the batteries or the power supply of the thermostat before the factory reset is complete.
Note: Once the reset is complete, you must set the initial settings of the thermostat again!
If you can’t pair Hive thermostat to app, first check if the latest firmware of the Hive app is installed and power cycle the thermostat.
If the issue is there, inspect and optimise the Wi-Fi connectivity and, ultimately, restore the default settings of your Hive thermostat.
Follow us for more Hive thermostat troubleshooting!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.