Wondering why is the Xfinity XR16 remote not working out of a sudden? Keep reading!
There are not many possibilities why a remote will suddenly stop working so in this short guide, we managed to cover, absolutely everything.
By the end of this, the problem should be gone!
The Xfinity XR16 remote will not work when the IR signal is obstructed by objects or interfered with by other wireless devices and receivers. Another reason would be when the remote is disconnected from the streaming box or television and needs to be paired.
Let’s next learn the possible reasons why the Xfinity XR16 remote is not working!
There could be many reasons why is your XR16 Xfinity remote not working.
Luckily, most of the users that experience this problem have shared their experience for our knowledge and we’ve managed to extract most of the causes that could be responsible!
Here’s why your Xfinity XR16 remote could have stopped working out of the blue:
- The remote got *Unpaired* from the Streaming Device
- The batteries inside of the remote are worn-out!
- There is a Wireless Signal Interference
- An issue has occurred with your Streaming Box or TV
Keep in mind that your setup and your XR16 remote in particular could be having more than one of the appointed issues above.
It’s important to follow the order of our solutions and check if the remote has resumed its functionality after each fix attempt.
This is crucial to getting rid of this problem and getting your XR16 remote to work!
Here’s how you can resolve your Xfinity XR16 remote problem in easy solutions:
How to Fix Xfinity XR16 Remote Not Working?
A power discharge on your Xfinity XR16 remote is going to power circulate the device and hopefully resolve any potential software issues.
If the remote isn’t working due to a temporary power withdrawal, by power discharging it, you will resolve this issue!
In addition, a power discharge is recommended to be done every once in a while!
To conduct a power discharge on your Xfinity XR16 remote, follow these steps:
- Open the Battery Compartment of the XR16 remote.
- Take out the Batteries.
- Press ALL buttons on the remote twice!
- Wait for 5 Minutes while the batteries are out of the remote.
- Judging by the polarities inside of the compartment, insert the batteries!
Once the power circulation is over, the remote should be able to control your TV or set-top box so make sure to press the Power Button to attempt interacting with the device!
Tip: Keeping the batteries out for longer, provides better power circulation!
If the power discharge didn’t help with your XR16 remote’s problem, then you should replace the batteries, inside of the remote.
Your remote needs fresh batteries to function properly and connect with your TV or streaming box at all times.
- The Xfinity XR16 remote uses 2AA batteries!
Here’s how to replace the batteries inside of your Xfinity XR16 remote:
- Place the remote with the buttons facing down.
- Undo the battery compartment and take off the cover.
- Eject the batteries inside of the remote.
- Acquire two new AA Batteries for your remote.
- Place them within the battery compartment.
- Close the latch of the battery compartment tightly.
With the fresh pair of batteries, the XR16 remote should be functioning properly.
In case it doesn’t the unit might have been disconnected from the receiver and next, we’ll learn why!
Alert: Be careful how you position the batteries since they have to make contact with the electrical poles.
There’s a chance that the XR16 remote got unpaired from the streaming device.
Based on whether you use the remote with a streaming box or a TV, there are two separate programming processes for your remote.
We will explain both of the methods, so you proceed with the one that matches your setup!
Here’s how to program the XR16 remote to a TV box or a TV:
- Ensure that your TV Box and TV are ON.
- Activate the remote by taking off the Pull Tab on the back.
- Aim the remote towards the streaming box and press the Voice button.
- Follow the remaining on-screen instructions to Finish the Setup.
- On your TV, go to the Remote Settings menu.
- Press the Voice (Microphone) Button on your Xfinity XR16 remote.
- Say “Remote Settings”.
- Follow the instructions to set up your XR16 remote.
Note: When pairing to a TV, make sure that you’ve pressed the Voice button so that the remote could connect with the TV.
Wireless remote signal interference could be happening to your setup right now.
This is when a specific device is either withdrawing or blocking your XR16 remote’ IR signal, which will prevent it from reaching your streaming box or television receiver.
Wireless remote signal interference could be caused by the following things:
- Solid objects (obstructions) between your remote and streaming box/TV
- RF Transmitters or Baby Phones that are near the remote or TV
- Connected Bluetooth receivers in your Streaming Box or TV
- Other Wireless Devices in close proximity to your receiver!
In addition, wireless remote signal interference could also be caused by other TVs that are near your streaming device.
If their “eye” is too close to your streaming device, they could be taking the signal instead, preventing your remote from interacting with the desired receiver.
Tip: After making sure that none of these objects is in your surrounding, test your remote!
If you’re still having issues with your XR16 remote, perhaps the problem could be with the streaming device rather than the remote.
In such a case, it’s suggested to perform a Hard Reset which will flush the software of your streaming device and resolve any remote-related connectivity problems.
Here’s how to perform a hard reset on your streaming device:
- Turn OFF the cable box using the Power Button.
- Unplug the cable box’s power adapter from the Power Source.
- Wait for 5 Minutes.
- Reconnect the power cable of the box back into the source.
- Turn on the device and Test the Remote.
- Turn OFF your TV using the Power Button on its panels.
- Unplug the power adapter of the TV.
- Wait for 3 Minutes.
- Plug the TV back in.
- Test the remote.
Tip: The more time you keep your devices unplugged, the better will the hard reset work.
To perform an XR16 remote reset your unit must be functioning.
If after performing all of our solutions above, your remote doesn’t seem to have any kind of output, the reset might probably not work, since it requires active software.
Although, a reset on your remote will flush the software, which might potentially fix the issue.
If the remote has motherboard/power issues, the reset sequence will not be detected.
Here’s how to perform a reset on your XR16 remote to test things out:
- On your remote, locate the (I) and the Home Buttons.
- Press and Hold Both Buttons at the same time.
- If your remote’ Status Light blinks, let go of the buttons.
- Check if your remote has been reset.
If your remote recognizes the reset sequence and begins to reset, it’s important to not press any buttons at this time.
Wait for the reset to conclude patiently and when ready, test.
Note: If your remote blinks, then it has detected the reset and is currently ongoing!
Hence, the Xfinity XR16 is not working with the receiver because the remote is either unpaired or the IR signal is not reaching the receiver.
The batteries should be replaced and the remote reset for users to be able to draw conclusions in regard to the case!
Read Next: How to Fix Xfinity 1PST Error?
Now that we’ve learned why the Xfinity XR16 remote not working with the receiver and how to solve the problem with a few easy-to-follow solutions, we can now solve the problem in minutes!
It’s important to remember that when the issue is persistent and nothing from the guide above managed to help, users need to reach out to Xfinity Customer Service for more assistance.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.