Want to get Xfinity modem update for a faster and more reliable connection?
If you don’t update your Xfinity modem’s firmware, your internet speed will be slower, and you’ll face connection issues. Updating your modem’s software should do the trick.
To update your Xfinity modem, you need to check if your particular model supports automatic updates. If not, you need to download the latest update file and upload it to your modem.
Alright, here’s a complete guide to updating your Xfinity modem.
Complete Guide for Xfinity Modem Update
Although the automatic update feature allows your modem to download and install the latest firmware whenever available, you should regularly check for updates to ensure you have the newest software versions and security patches.
This article will show you the ropes of getting an Xfinity update modem.
#1: Verify If Your Modem is Compatible with Auto Updates
The quickest way to get Xfinity modem firmware update is to use the automatic update feature.
Your modem automatically updates to the latest firmware when online. But first, you must ensure your modem supports this feature.
Here’s how to verify if your modem is compatible with auto-updates:
- Log in to your Xfinity account.
- Go to the My Devices page.
- Find your modem in the list of devices.
- Your modem is compatible if you see Up to date.
Note: If the status says Not Up to Date, your modem is incompatible with auto updates. You need to update it manually to get the latest firmware version.
#2: Update Your Modem Firmware Automatically
If your Xfinity modem support automatic updates, you don’t have to do anything except plug it in and connect it to the internet.
Your device will automatically download and install the latest firmware when available.
Here’s how to set your Xfinity modem to update automatically:
- Log in to your account on the Xfinity website.
- Navigate to the Device Settings section.
- Find your modem from the list of devices.
- Select the Edit button next to your device name.
- Select Enable Automatic Updates.
- Save your changes.
Note: Your modem will now automatically download and install the latest firmware update. Once the update is complete, it will restart.
If your modem supports automatic updates, you’re in luck, as it will only take a few steps to complete. That’s not the case for all, though. If you have a modem that needs the manual method, proceed to the steps below.
#3: Find the Latest Firmware for Your Modem
If your device does not support automatic updates and you simply want more control over the process, manually find the latest firmware on the Xfinity website.
Then, download and install the file specific to your modem model.
Here is how to update Xfinity modem manually:
- Identify your modem model.
- Look for the model number on the back of your device.
- If you can’t find it, log in to your account.
- Go to My Devices.
- The modem number will be listed under Modem.
- Go to the manufacturer’s website.
- You will see the list of all firmware updates available for your modem model.
- Type the modem model number on Google to find the manufacturer’s website.
- Search for the latest firmware update for your modem model.
Note: The latest firmware update usually has the highest version number. It will be a large file, so ensure you have enough space on your computer to download it.
#4: Download the Firmware Update File
After you find the latest firmware update, download the file. The file will be saved to your computer’s default download location, which is your browser’s download history or your computer’s downloads folder.
Here’s how to download the Xfinity firmware update:
- Find the correct version for your modem model.
- Click on the link to the firmware update file.
- Save it to your computer.
Tip: Check the location where your browser saves downloaded files to ensure you will easily find it when you’re ready to update your Xfinity modem’s firmware.
#5: Save the Update File to an External USB Drive
Once the download is complete, transfer the firmware update file to an external USB.
This allows you to easily move it to your modem and ensure you have a backup in case something goes wrong during the update process.
Here’s how to save the update file to an external USB drive:
- Connect the USB drive to your computer.
- Open File Explorer by pressing the Windows Key + E.
- Locate the firmware update file and select Copy.
- Navigate to the USB drive in File Explorer.
- Right-click in a space and choose Paste.
- The firmware update file will be copied to the USB driver.
Note: Ensure the USB drive is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS and has at least 1GB of free space.
Now that you have the latest firmware of your modem saved on an external storage device, you can bring it to your modem. Follow the steps below to upload the file to your modem.
#6: Connect the USB to Your Modem
After you save the update file, you’ll have to get it into your modem. The way to do that is to connect your USB to your modem.
You need to access your Xfinity modem’s admin dashboard to do this.
- Locate the USB port on your modem.
- Plug the USB drive into the USB port.
- Wait for your Xfinity modem to recognize the USB drive.
- Secure the USB drive in place.
The USB port is usually on the back or side of your Xfinity modem. Ensure you insert the USB all the way into the port.
Note: Some USB drives have a locking mechanism for the USB port to help prevent any accidental disconnections and damage to the drive.
#7: Access Your Modem’s Admin Dashboard and Start the Update
With the USB drive connected to your Xfinity modem, you should be able to access the admin dashboard and initiate the firmware update process.
This step ensures that your Xfinity modem integrates the latest improvements in performance, security, and bug fixes.
Here’s how to access your modem’s admin dashboard:
- Ensure you are connected to your Xfinity network.
- Open your web browser.
- Navigate to the IP address of your modem.
- Enter the IP address into your browser.
- Enter the username and password found on the modem or user manual.
- You will be directed to the admin dashboard.
Note: The default username is admin, and the default password is password.
Look for Firmware updates from the admin dashboard to start the update process. Click on this section to access the firmware update options.
#8: Upload the Firmware Update File to Your Modem
Now that you are in your admin dashboard and have located the firmware update section, it’s time to upload the firmware update file from the USB drive to your Xfinity modem.
You will need to follow a few simple steps:
- Click on the Firmware Update tab.
- Click on the Browse button.
- Select the firmware update file from the USB drive.
- Click on the Update button.
- The modem will automatically install the update.
- Once the update is complete, it will restart itself.
Note: Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when updating your modem’s firmware to ensure the process is completed safely and without issues.
After completing the update, remove the USB drive from the modem port carefully to prevent damage or data loss. Gently pull it out with a steady hand.
If your Xfinity modem update did not go well, there are a few steps to troubleshoot the issue. First, restart your modem by unplugging it and waiting several minutes before plugging it back in.
If this doesn’t work, reset your modem to its default settings or contact Xfinity customer support to diagnose and fix any issues with your modem.
To perform an Xfinity modem update, update it by finding the latest firmware on the Xfinity website and downloading it to a USB drive. Connect the drive to your modem and choose the firmware file to update it.
For more articles about the Xfinity modem, check out our blog!
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues. Check out more about him here.