Asking why is my Amazon Fire TV blinking? Look no further because in this post we’re about to reveal everything that might have happened to your Amazon Fire TV.
Then you’re going to learn how to efficiently troubleshoot it and how to prevent the issue from appearing in the future!
Whether your Fire TV screen or lights are blinking, you should focus on inspecting the video signal. It could be the HDMI connection, power outages, resolution issues, and much more. The solution includes restarting, updating, and inspecting every possibility until you discover the true cause.
To understand the troubleshooting, you’ll first take a look at the usual suspects when it comes to blinking fire TV issues and then proceed with the solutions.
Users with the same issue as you already managed to fix the problem and here is what turned to be the cause:
- Video Signal Issue – A faulty video signal connection might make your Amazon fire TV blink.
- Bad Refresh Rate/Resolution – Resolution or refresh rate that doesn’t match your TV’s recommendations, might make it blink.
- HDMI Connection Issue – A faulty HDMI connection between the stick and TV might as well make your TV blink.
- Power Issue – Insufficient power or hardware malfunction could make your Fire TV blink.
It is really important to understand whether your TV will blink on its own or the problem is present only when watching the Fire TV connect. To do so go to Watch TV or use a premade USB flash to test the blinking with local content.
Now that we’ve answered the question “why is my Fire TV blinking?”, you can confidently proceed with applying the solutions in order.
Test if your Fire TV continues to blink after you’re ready with each of the solutions to avoid unnecessary troubleshooting.
The first and easiest solution available would be to perform a simple power reset on your Fire TV.
To perform the power reset, follow the steps below:
- Unplug the Fire TV device from the power outlet.
- Wait for several minutes for the electricity to drain out of the device.
- Plug the power adapter back into the source.
- Turn on your device and test for blinking.
Users suggest avoiding using power strips or dividers, as they could also cause flicker/flashing.
If the HDMI connection between your stick and TV is compromised, you can expect all kinds of video interruptions including a blinking.
Here is the easiest way to exclude the HDMI fault possibility:
- Unplug the Firestick from the HDMI input of your TV.
- Inspect the HDMI connector of the stick for dust and particles.
- Clean the HDMI connector tip carefully.
- Plug the HDMI firestick into another HDMI input of your TV.
If there is still flickering even when using another HDMI input, then the issue is probably related to something else.
Many people have been asking “why is my Amazon Fire TV box blinking sporadically?” and usually the answer lies within the TV.
If you haven’t tried to turn OFF your TV and wait for at least half an hour to cool down, then our suggestion would be to do it before you proceed.
While your TV is cooling down you can do the following:
- Unplug everything connected to your TV, including the power adapter.
- Take ALL electronic devices nearby your TV in another room.
- Lastly, make sure that your Fire TV is not on top or near an object that emits heat.
When your TV has cooled off, connect it to the power, plug the Firestick, and test for blinking. If it’s still there, let’s update your Fire TV.
Even if rarely, outmoded firmware could potentially cause screen flickering or flashing on your Fire TV device.
To update the firmware, follow these steps:
- First, go to the Settings of your device by pressing the Home menu button.
- Click on My Fire TV and then head to the About tab.
- Once there, select the Check For Updates feature and wait.
- After the checker is done, click on the Download & Apply button for the newly available firmware updates.
You can always use the Auto-Update feature from the system menu and save yourself some time for manual updating.
Unmatching or non-existent resolution options for your TV might make the screen flicker.
To change the resolutions easily, you can follow these steps:
- Get your Fire TV remote and simultaneously press the Rewind and Up buttons.
- Once you have held the buttons for 10 seconds, your TV will start to automatically change resolutions
- On each resolution option, your TV will pause for 10 seconds and will wait for you to confirm the current resolution displayed.
- Selected the resolution option that manages to fix the flickering problem.
If none of the resolution options made a difference when it comes to the blinking, then the firmware might be corrupted. Let’s reinstall it in the next solution.
In this step, you’re going to learn how to factory reset the FireTV stick. But if the TV is blinking regardless of what you’re watching on it, and the issue is not with the TV, go ahead and factory reset your TV not the Firestick.
To factory reset your firestick follow the steps below:
- Make sure that the firestick is connected to the TV.
- Press & hold the right button from the navigation circle + the back button.
- On the TV screen choose Factory Reset.
- Confirm the prompt to continue.
After a while, your device will be restored to default factory settings and if the blinking is still there you may have to contact Amazon customer support for further assistance.
The solution to a flickering FireTV includes a power cycle and inspection of the setup. Users can also try to change resolution, update the Firestick firmware and even factory restore the TV if the issue is appearing on ALL sources.
Read Next: Is Hulu Free with Amazon Fire Stick?
“Why is my Amazon Fire TV blinking?” is still being asked by people that could not discover this post.
So, if your issue is now solved, share that article so it can help as many people as possible and if you’re interested in how to solve other FireTV issues, check our blog!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.