If you are a regular Hulu user, You have probably scoured the internet trying to find out exactly why does Hulu keep dimming after ads?
This bug has plagued many who enjoy streaming films using the platform on their smart TVs.
We will demystify the problem. In this article, we will look into its causes and a few ways to overcome them.
Hulu keeps dimming after ads because certain inbuilt functions try to adjust the screen brightness when they detect on-screen displays. This could also be a result of outdated/faulty software. To overcome this, you can change your settings, update your Hulu software or reset your streaming device.
No matter how the problem presents itself, the brand of smart tv and streaming stick you are using, the methods we tackle in this article will help you troubleshoot Hulu.
Now with that brief overview, let’s dive deep.
A few factors might be causing your Hulu to keep dimming.
- Hulu application code may contain bugs.
- Your Hulu software may be outdated.
- Wrong display settings.
- Your streaming device’s software could be outdated.
Here are a couple of solutions guaranteed to restore normalcy when your Hulu screen keeps dimming after ads:
There have been reports of a system bug within Hulu code that causes user screens to go dark, transitioning to and from an ad and moving from one episode to another.
To beat the bug, you can:
- Tap the Star button to launch options.
- Scroll down to picture mode.
- From here, tap the left arrow key to switch modes.
- Move through the list and select Normal Mode.
Note: You have to do this every time the Hulu screen dims. It only takes about 10 seconds to accomplish.
Power-cycling your streaming equipment is a great way to refresh your connection.
It fixes any temporary bugs by restoring your system to default settings. If the dimming in Hulu is getting out of hand, try this method.
To perform a power cycle:
- Power down the device you’re watching Hulu on.
- Turn off the modem and router.
- Unplug and disconnect your streaming device from the power source.
- Wait for 2-5 minutes, power backup your devices, and try streaming with Hulu again.
If the dimming was a temporal bug, it should now be fixed.
All streaming services, Hulu included, require a reliable internet connection to work as intended.
Videos are available cross-platform in a range of different qualities based on your internet connection and the device you are streaming on. Hulu adjusts the streaming quality based on these factors.
A poor connection results in quirks such as video quality depreciation, the dimming you are facing as well as total failure to load.
To find out if this is the cause of the problem, you can test your connection and reset it if it appears to be the problem.
There are multiple ways to perform a speed test. They include:
- You can run the inbuilt speed test apps on your streaming device.
- Run a speed test from your browser.
- After getting the approximate internet speed value, you can compare this to Hulu’s recommended speeds.
For a consistently high-quality stream experience, Hulu recommends you use an internet connection capable of achieving the following download speeds sustainably:
- 3.0 Mbps for streaming from Hulu’s library.
- 8.0 Mbps for streaming live.
- 16.0 + Mbps for 4k content.
Note: Other activities that involve the use of bandwidth may disrupt your streaming quality on Hulu.
You can take the following steps to try and improve your internet connection:
- Power off or disconnect all other devices connected to the same network as your Hulu.
- Close the apps and channels running in the background.
- Hardwire your streaming device to the router using an ethernet cable.
- Move the router/modem closer to your streaming device.
With each update, Hulu provides new features, functionality and fixes for bugs that have been noticed in previous software releases.
In case you are running an outdated version of Hulu, you might still be facing issues that have already been fixed in the latest release.
Ensure you perform regular software updates depending on the device you are using to stream Hulu from.
You can update Hulu by searching for it in your device’s app store. If an update is available, click install or update.
Note: You can try uninstalling and then installing Hulu. This automatically brings you the latest Hulu update.
With the many platforms already offering Hulu at the moment, the problem might result from your streaming device’s side and not from Hulu.
Ensure you are running Hulu on a device with the latest software updates. This enables Hulu streaming capabilities to be maximized while utilizing the capabilities of your streaming device.
You can carry out a software update using these simple steps:
- Hold the Home button on your Roku Tv remote.
- Click on Settings and go to System.
- From the system menu, select System update.
- Click on the Update now option. The device will initiate the update.
The following simple steps should take you through the update:
- Install the Google Home app on Android or iOS devices.
- Power on your Chromecast device and connect it to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Launch the app. Locate your Chromecast device. Tap the device icon for a full overview.
- Tap the Gear for the settings menu.
- Tap the three horizontal dots. Click Reboot.
- The Chromecast device downloads the latest firmware during the reboot.
Tip: The update software option will be found in the device settings menu or software information page of whatever platform you are streaming on.
Certain settings in your Hulu or your tv display could be conflicting, resulting in the dimming.
You can resolve this by fiddling with the settings a little and seeing what works best for you.
Here are some settings you can change to see if they fix the issue:
- Ensure you turn off Eco-mode or environmental mode if on a Samsung screen
- Turn off the screen saver or idle screen to prevent dimming.
- Check your power saving settings on the device you are on.
Hulu stores temporary files and data on your device to aid general performance.
With time these files may become corrupted, which may result in you facing multiple issues while you stream.
It is recommended that you clear your cache to delete these files and stabilize performance.
There are multiple easy ways to clear your cache depending on the device you’re on. You will find most of this in the settings options of the device you are streaming from.
Clear your browser cache if streaming Hulu from your browser. Uninstalling the Hulu app if you're using one also clears the cache memory.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the Hulu app offers a solution to some streaming issues you may be facing.
It also provides a great way to ensure that you are running the latest version of the app on your device.
The steps, although they may differ from device to device, are simple and pretty much work the same way.
Read Next: How to Unlock Movies on Hulu?
Having gone through most reasons and a few solutions, you probably have the answer to why does Hulu keep dimming after ads?
With the knowledge of the several troubleshooting methods we’ve looked at, I trust that you’ll be able to comfortably troubleshoot any problems that come your way.
If any bugs persist, ensure you contact Hulu support for technical help.
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.