When Vodafone not receiving texts without proper reasoning, we might need some help to solve the problem.
We have extracted the most helpful solutions for your Vodafone SMS problem and put them in one place at your disposal.
On the other hand, you will also learn what causes the problem and what you should avoid doing in the future to prevent the issue!
To fix when Vodafone isn’t receiving any SMS/Text messages, reboot your mobile device and have the SIM card reinserted. Next, ensure that you’re located in an area of coverage and update the Messaging app. Lastly, choose a new default SMS app!
Let’s learn more about what causes the Vodafone messaging problem before we fix it!
If you’re subscribed to Vodafone but not receiving texts, there is a simple solution!
We will go over all the potential causes that could be producing the problem and are reported by Vodafone users. You will find out what’s wrong in no time!
Here’s why your Vodafone service isn’t receiving text messages:
- Your mobile device is out of reception
- There’s a problem with the default texting application
- You have enabled a DND/Airplane mode on your mobile device
- There’s an issue with the Vodafone SIM card
Those are the main suspects for the text message problem with Vodafone.
The issue on your side is definitely related to one of them, so we’re about to address everything!
Now that you know better what has gone wrong with the Vodafone service, it’s time to troubleshoot.
To achieve the best efficiency, follow the chronological order of our solutions.
- In addition, make sure not to skip any of the Notes and Alerts!
Rebooting your device should be able to resolve the problem with the messaging issue on your Vodafone cellular.
If there has been a startup problem on your unit, many services could be temporarily disabled.
Here’s how to reboot your device in easy steps!
- Hold the Power button on your mobile device.
- Wait for the Power Menu to appear.
- Press the “Shutdown” option.
- Wait for the device to turn OFF.
- Hold the Power button again for around 5-10 seconds.
- The device should start up soon!
Upon loading the operating system you should be prompted to enter the SIM PIN code!
Once your Vodafone service device boots back up, access the default messaging app of the device and attempt texting. If you have a secondary device, attempt to text your number.
Note: You could also trigger restart from Settings > General > Power Off/Reboot.
One of the reasons why you can’t receive any messages on any mobile service is the Airplane and DND mode.
When enabled, these features will block the cellular connection of your device, with the purpose of preventing anyone from reaching you.
It will block calls, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth along with cellular connection and SMS texts.
On each mobile device, the Airplane and/or DND mode could be situated in a different place.
Here’s a universal way to toggle ON/OFF Airplane mode:
- On your device, head to Settings.
- Open General.
- Scroll down and press the Airplane Mode tab.
- Ensure that the feature’s activation slider is set to “OFF”.
- Check if your phone has a DND mode, by manually searching it.
Note: Also check whether the cellular connection is good (you need at least 2 bars)!
Chances are that your SIM card has been installed incorrectly and that’s why you cannot receive any SMS.
To fix that, you could take out the Vodafone SIM card from your phone and then reinstall it, but with caution. One of the SIM card corners is cut, for better orientation.
Follow these instructions to reinsert your device’ SIM card:
- Grab a SIM eject tool, supplied with each phone, in the box.
- Insert the SIM instrument into the pinhole above the SIM compartment.
- Take out the SIM card holder.
- Eject the Vodafone SIM out of the cardholder.
- Install the SIM back into the tray.
- Place the cardholder into the SIM compartment.
- Wait for your device to connect with the Vodafone network.
Once your mobile device connects, check if you could send and receive SMS now. Not only test receiving messages but also try sending some to close friends or family members.
Note: If the Vodafone SIM is too big for the compartment, remove the detachable edges to make it fit your phone’s cardholder.
If the messaging app is running an outdated version, this is most likely the reason why you’re not receiving SMS.
However, when the messaging app receives a newer version, the “Update” button will become available in your device’s App Store/Google Play.
Here’s how to update the version of your phone’s messaging app:
- On your phone, launch the App Store/Google Play.
- Head to the “Manage Installed Applications” tab in the store.
- Press on the search field and type the name of your messaging app.
- Select the application.
- Press the “Update” button.
- Wait for the application to start updating.
Alert: Do not turn off or cancel the update halfway since this will interrupt the process!
Another reason why Vodafone not receiving texts is that your mobile device is not in coverage.
Certain areas (even throughout the UK) could have a weak, or non-consistent signal.
This could delay the receiving time of the SMS or prevent you from receiving it at all.
Areas, that could cause the signal to go off or make it weak are the following:
- Deep underground tunnels
- Underground compartments, such as basements or stairwells
- Forests, mountain zones or hiking areas away from a cellular tower
- Thick concrete walls, or staying under metal plates
Make sure that you’re not located in one of these zones that are usually out of coverage and test the SMS. To track the strength of your Vodafone signal, look at the Cellular Indicator.
The indicator is located on the top of your mobile screen with up to 4 bars of signal.
Alert: If the signal stays one 1 bar or says “E”, then you have a weaker or no signal.
Chances are that your phone’s default messaging app is problematic.
Luckily, you could select an alternative default app to use for Vodafone and avoid platform-related problems with the SMS.
This is both available for iOS and Android so keep reading to learn how!
Let’s begin with changing the default messaging app on Android first:
- On your Android, go to Settings.
- Tap the “Apps” tab.
- Head to “Choose default apps’.
- Press “SMS app’.
- Select the desired default messaging app.
- On your iOS device, go to Settings.
- Press the app you wish to use for messaging.
- Press “Default Messaging App”.
- Confirm the selection.
Tip: To use new messaging apps, you will have to download them from the store.
When you’re unable to send or receive messages on Vodafone, you should make sure that the correct SMS Centre Number is configured. You can do that manually!
Configure SMS Centre on iOS:
- Start the Phone app on your device.
- Tap on the Keypad from the menu.
- Call this number “**5005*7672*#” without the brackets.
Tip: Make sure that you’re not missing the “*” or the “#” at the end.
Configure SMS Centre on Android:
- Open the default Messaging app.
- Reach the app’s Settings.
- Choose an SMS Centre.
- Insert the number “35387699989”.
- Tap on OK, to confirm and save.
When Vodafone isn’t receiving texts, reboot your device and make sure that you’re in a coverage area. Next, update the default Messaging app or/and select a new one. Finally, reinsert the SIM card of your device and disable Airplane/DND modes!
Read Next: How to Fix Vodafone Router Flashing Red?
We hope that you have learned how to deal with the Vodafone not receiving texts problem.
It is relatively easy to understand when this issue occurs and what is the best approach to the problem.
If you’re stuck somewhere with troubleshooting, then it would be best to contact Vodafone Customer Service for more help!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.