TCL TV half screen flickering? Well, this looks frightening, but it’s actually easy to solve!
When only half the screen of your TCL TV is flickering, the experience can be a nightmare since we typically assume the worst.
So, keep calm, relax, and let’s learn some potential fixes that will either resolve your problem or help you discover the origin.
When your TCL TV half screen is flickering, start by power cycling the TV for 5 minutes, and in the meantime, check the TV HDMI cable connection. Next, ensure that the TV is plugged into the functional outlet and inspect the TV backlight for potential faults.
So, without any delay, let’s quickly start troubleshooting!
How to Fix When TCL TV Half Screen Flickering?
Tip: Implement each step consecutively!
1. Restart Your TCL TV
If you have waited too long, but your TV’s half screen is continuously flickering, restart your television to attempt and solve this bug.
Sometimes, a simple restart from the TV settings menu can work wonders in resolving software or electrical glitches.
Here is how to restart the TCL TV:
- Open the Home screen on the TV.
- Navigate to the TV Settings menu.
- Scroll down and select the System.
- In the System menu, choose Restart.
- Select the Restart option in the pop-up.
Note: Within a few moments, your TV will boot up completely, so check to see if the flickering problem is still there.
2. Soft Reset Your TCL TV
If restarting your TCL TV doesn’t help, then power cycle your TCL TV for at least 5 minutes by cutting off its power connection to give it a kind of soft reset.
This is an excellent fix and forces your TV to reboot and eliminate all software, control board, and flickering issues.
Here is how to soft reset the TCL TV:
- Power off your TV using the remote control.
- Unplug the TV power cord from the socket.
- Press and hold down the TV’s power button.
- Keep holding the button for about 20 seconds.
- Then, let your TCL TV unplugged for 5 minutes.
- After that, plug the TCL TV back in and turn it on.
Tip: Keeping your TCL TV unplugged for longer also helps against screen-flickering due to overheating.
3. Inspect the TV Power Supply
Keep in mind that TCL TV operates on a constant power voltage!
This is why it’s essential to verify the TCL TV’s power supply because low or fluctuating voltage can cause disturbances and TCL TV screen flickering.
Here is how to inspect the TCL TV power supply:
- First, unplug your TCL TV from the outlet.
- Disconnect the power cord from the TV.
- Unplug any surge protector or extenders.
- Plug a lamp or a wired bulb to test the A/C.
In case the light of the lamp is bright and constant, then your A/C outlet is functional.
In contrast, if the light is very dim and/or fluctuating, then it’s likely that this power outlet is malfunctioning.
If you have a Multimeter, you can justify your tests, but for now, plug your TV into a working outlet.
Necessary: Plug your TCL TV directly into the wall outlet without any connectors or strips!
4. Test the Fuse on Your TCL TV
Every TV, including the TCL TVs, has a fuse, which is designed to protect the TV from power surges and rapid changes in power continuity.
So, if you have a Multimeter, this step will help you determine whether your TV’s fuse is blown, which may be causing the screen to flicker!
- First, unplug and then switch off the TCL television.
- Flip down your TV by the display facing downward.
- Unscrew the TV’s backside and take off the cover.
- Find out and access the TV power supply board.
- Look for the small fuse in a cylindrical glass tube shape.
- Inspect the TV fuse for any damage or discoloration.
- Next, test the fuse for Continuity using a multimeter.
- Touch two probes of the meter on each end of the fuse.
- Determine the TCL TV fuse continuity test measures:
- If there is continuity and the fuse has no discoloration, it is functional.
- If there is no continuity or the fuse is discolored, look for a replacement.
Note: In case of a blown fuse, consult a TV technician!
5. Check Your TV HDMI Cables!
A loose or frayed HDMI cable or port is likely causing the signal fault, which resembles a TCL TV half screen flickering.
So, inspect the HDMI connection to your TV and external devices to ensure a secure connection, or test your TCL TV raw output without any video-connected units.
Here is how to check your TV HDMI connection:
- Switch off and unplug your TCL TV.
- Then, find the HDMI cable to the TV.
- Unplug the HDMI cable from the TV.
- Clean the cable and connector ports.
- Optional: Use a can of compressed air.
- Inspect the HDMI for any visual faults.
- Reconnect the HDMI cable on both sides.
- Gently wiggle the HDMI cable to verify.
If this hasn’t fixed the flickering problem, connect the HDMI cable to a different HDMI port on your TCL TV.
This will help you identify whether the issue is with your source or the TCL TV.
Reminder: When switching from one HDMI TV input to another, you must switch to the corresponding HDMI input source from the settings.
6. Update Your TCL TV Software
If you have not updated your TCL TV software for too long, the TV OS could encounter various issues, such as screen flickering.
So, look for pending software updates in the TV’s settings and verify the internet connection on the TV since it’s necessary for downloading updates!
How to Update TCL TV Software?
- First, plug in and turn on your TCL television.
- Press the Home button on your TV remote.
- Open the TV Settings menu from the top right.
- Scroll down and select “Device Preferences.”
- Select the About tab and then System Update.
- In the following screen, select “Network Update.”
Note: If your TCL TV detects a new update, it will prompt you to press the “OK” button on the remote to confirm the software update process.
7. Factory Reset Your TCL TV
If your TCL TV’s half-screen is still flickering, proceed with the factory reset process, which is the most powerful method against screen-related issues.
This method will permanently delete everything and restore the TV settings to default settings, which erases any bugs and glitches!
How to Factory Reset the TCL TV?
- First, press the Home button on the TCL TV remote.
- Open the TV Settings menu from the top right corner.
- Go to Device Preference and then enter the Reset tab.
- Select the Factory Data Reset and Erase Everything.
- Finally, type the required PIN into the pop-up window.
The reset process may take longer, based on your TCL TV performance, so patiently wait until the factory restoration is completed.
Once done, set up your TCL TV, connect it to the WiFi, and check for the flickering screen.
Info: Data loss after the factory reset is irreversible!
8. Test the TCL TV Backlight Strips!
If the flickering is specifically at one side of your TCL TV, such a fault likely developed due to defective backlight strips.
To check and ensure, turn off your room lights and closely observe the screen for any irregularities in the backlighting.
How to Test the TCL TV Backlight Strips?
- First, switch off and unplug your TCL television.
- Long press the power button for a few seconds.
- Then, flip your TV display down on a large table.
- Gently unscrew the back panel of your TCL TV.
- Then, locate the circuit boards on the back panel.
- Also, find the T-Con panel on a main or power board.
- Disconnect the wires or ribbons from the TV’s edge.
- Next, unscrew the edge screws to release the bezel.
- Remove the bezel, and panel and find the backlight strips.
- Finally, test the strips using a voltmeter:
- If the strips have continuity, it means they are operational.
- If the strips have no continuity, then you need to replace them.
Tip: Feel free to receive professional help from a technician or TCL Support.
TCL Roku TV Half Screen Fading Flickering?
The half-screen flickering is a known problem on TCL Roku TVs and typically comes from the picture settings.
Luckily, Roku TVs can reset the picture settings to the default value, which usually resolves misconfiguration mistakenly made by the user.
Here is how to reset the TCL TV picture settings:
- First, open the Roku TV Settings menu.
- Locate and choose the Picture Settings.
- Scroll down and select “Picture Reset.”
Note: If these steps do not apply to your Roku TV, go to Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Factory Reset.
If your TCL TV half screen flickering, restart or soft reset your TV, change the TV power source, and inspect the TV’s HDMI cable and HDMI ports.
Additionally, update your TCL TV to the latest firmware, then reset the picture setting and/or perform a TV factory reset.
For more TCL TV fix guides, check out our blog!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.