In this post, we’ll uncover the T-Mobile transfer data to new phone process and all questions surrounding this topic.
We’ve prepared several guides depending on the phones you’re going to transfer data between and how to do it correctly.
To transfer T-Mobile data to a new phone you can use a backup application suitable for both device’s operating systems or the official Android switch service is available in your case.
On the other hand, you can use the inbuilt features if both devices are iPhone separately, create and apply your backup if your devices are different.
To provide transparency on this topic let’s first check what T-Mobile has to do with the whole transferring process.
T-Mobile does NOT offer services for transferring data from your old phone onto the new one.
You must use the service of an app designed for the purpose in order to process a transfer from your old phone to a brand new T-Mobile SIM card device.
You can either use the services of a Google account backup or download the specific app for the purpose, meant for Androids. When it comes down to transferring to iPhones, you can only use singular service apps.
Before transferring any data, you must first make your new device usable. The process usually involves some simple on-screen steps, and we’ve prepared a quick guideline for you to follow:
- Insert the SIM card that has been delivered with your phone into the device.
- Turn on your device by holding the power button for several seconds.
- Once turned on, the SIM card will initiate a setup process.
- Follow the on-screen steps to set up the firmware of the device.
Once enabling your new device, use the corresponding guideline depending on whether you’re transferring from Android to Android, Android to iPhone, or vice versa.
Note: Specifically for iPhone to Android transfer you can switch to theAndroid official service or follow the steps below.
Before transferring anything, you must select which files and data you’re willing to transfer from T-Mobile.
- Choose everything from music to contacts and photos for the transfer.
- Choose whether you’re going to save System settings.
- Choose whether you’re going to keep apps and other data.
We recommend that you use the assistance produced by the manufacturer’s app, which will help you transfer all of the required data.
If however such an app isn’t included, you can use the services of the Google backup, only meant for Androids:
- If the app isn’t included in your T-Mobile by default, you can find it in the app store.
- Simply search for “T-Mobile transfer” and several suitable apps should appear.
- When you’ve got the app, create a backup of all data you’d like to transfer.
- Download & enter the app from your new phone and apply the backup.
Each application has its options labeled differently and if you’re experiencing difficulties transferring data via application, the next 2 steps will describe how to do it using Google services.
Once you’ve got the app you will be needed for the procedure, follow these steps:
- Backup the data on your phone by going Settings > System > Advanced > Backup.
- Ensure that the Backup feature is clicked on and is enabled to always be active.
- If the backup happens to be OFF, wait for your device to store the data.
- Once the backup is enabled, click on confirm and proceed with the next step.
Once you got all of the data on your old Android phone backed up, now is the time to set up your new phone for data transfer. For this purpose, follow these instructions:
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Add Account > Google.
- Enter your Google credentials where you recently backed up the data of your old phone.
- You will be prompted to download the synced information onto your new device.
- Confirm once again.
Note: Depending on the size of the backup and files you’ve chosen to save & transfer, the download might take a while.
If the backup is below 10GB, it will only take 10-15 minutes. If the backup is larger than that, it might take half to a whole hour, so brace yourself with patience.
If you need to transfer from Android to Apple via T-Mobile, you will be unfortunate as there is no specifically designed process for the purpose.
In that case, your only option would be to use a 3rd party application.
Note: Transferring from iPhone to iPhone is easy using iCloud.
There are many applications that could help some of which include My Contact Backup Tool, Photo Transfer App, and more. These apps are found in both your Android and iOS store to help you with the transfer.
Now let’s check what you’ll need to do:
- You can use the Phone Transfer app, found on Google play.
- Download it to your Android and create a temporal backup, which you will later access through your iPhone.
- Once you’ve created the backup, close the app and remember your registration credentials.
Once done with the backup, you just insert the SIM.
- Locate the SIM card slot on your new iPhone device.
- Use a paperclip to open the compartment.
- Insert the T-Mobile SIM and close the compartment.
Once you’ve created a suitable backup on your Android app with all the files you want to be transferred, follow these steps:
- Download the very SAME app on your iPhone
- Log in with the account that contains the backup.
- Locate the Backup and check if all files from your old phone are included.
At last, you must apply the backup on your new phone:
- Click on the backup through your iPhone.
- Put your old phone next to the Android.
- Click on Begin Backup through the app and confirm through both of your devices if required.
You will have to wait for an estimated time depending on the size of your backup as we’ve mentioned above.
It is possible to transfer data from an old phone to a new one with T-Mobile. You can transfer data to T-Mobile from Android to Android using Google backup and Android to iPhone using 3rd party application.
For iPhone to Android transfers, you can always use the official Android switch services.
Read Next: How to Make T-Mobile Hotspot Faster?
Now when you’re familiar with how T-Mobile transfer data to new phone you can basically create and apply backup to any smartphone, in the future.
If you’ve got difficulties, don’t bother reaching to T-Mobile as they do not offer such a service. Instead, try to understand how the backup apps work and how to use them with your devices.
For more posts related to data transfer between devices, you can check for answers in our tech solutions blog.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.