Is your Sky Puck remote not working without a clue?
Here’s the easiest solution!
It’s common for any type of remote to randomly stop working, without a sign or a clue.
It could either be their batteries, or something more complex, such as interference or a software issue.
We will go over the best and quickest solutions to resolve this issue!
To fix when a Sky Puck remote isn’t working, power reset the device and replace the discharged batteries. Next, identify physical/wireless interference and perform a reset on your remote. Finally, hard reboot the Sky TV and perform a Factory Reset.
Identifying what this issue represents is essential, so let’s jump in!
Why Is the Sky Glass Puck Remote Not Working?
A Sky Glass Puck remote will refuse to work under certain circumstances in your setup!
First things first, it’s important to understand whether your remote has developed a problem of its own.
Only then, you could troubleshoot your setup, identify interference and potentially look for issues on your Sky device.
Let’s now look up what’s causing this problem:
- Battery Issues with the Sky Puck remote
- Wireless/Physical interference in your setup
- A problem with your Sky TV or another streaming device
- A Hardware Malfunction with your Sky Puck remote
Keep reading to learn what are the best methods to troubleshoot the following problems!
How to Fix the Sky Puck Remote Not Working?
To renew the functionality of your Sky Puck remote the fastest, follow and apply our solutions in chronological order.
We have designed our guide in a step-by-step style to achieve the most efficiency in removing potential problems with both your Sky and the Puck remote.
Let’s jump straight in!
Solution #1 Power Reset the Remote
If a remote doesn’t work, whatever the device is, you should perform a Power Reset.
What a power reset does is have the remote’s electricity discharged, which will essentially refresh the software and hardware of the device.
It is strongly recommended to try this at first since it could save you a bunch of troubleshooting and further worries!
How to Power Reset a Sky Puck remote:
- Put your remote with the buttons facing down.
- Locate the Battery Compartment of the remote.
- Uninstall the Latch covering the batteries.
- Take out the two AAA alkaline batteries.
- Press each button on the remote for 2 seconds.
- Hold the Power Button for 30 seconds.
- Place the batteries back into the remote.
- Install the Battery Latch and secure it.
- Attempt to use your remote.
The batteries’ electrical poles must match the battery compartment. Otherwise your remote won’t be able to withdraw electricity and therefore it will not communicate with your Sky.
Note: Point the remote towards the TV when holding down the Power Button for 30 seconds.
Solution #2 Clear Out Interference
There are two types of interference. It could either be Physical or Wireless!
Clear Wireless Interference:
This type of wireless interference usually occurs whenever there are other signal transmitters nearby.
The most common suspects are baby phones, radios, RF transmitters or other Bluetooth devices that are sucking the signal in. Let’s review all of these devices:
Causes of Wireless Interference:
- RF Transmitters or Radios that have antennas installed
- Bluetooth Speakers or other devices using the same type of signal
- Analog signal sent by nearby TV antennas
Another type of interference that could be causing this problem is Physical Interference.
Clear Physical Interference:
Unlike wireless interference, the problem here is caused by a physical obstruction that is blocking the signal of your remote.
In most cases, particular furniture could prevent the Sky Puck remote from reaching the receiver and triggering a particular action.
Causes of Physical Interference:
- Solid Furniture between the remote and TV
- Dust or Debris on the TV’s IR “eye”.
- Covering the remote’s communication point
Note: Make sure that both your remote and Sky TV are leveraged on an equal level!
Solution #3 Switch Sky Glass TV ON/OFF
Users have reported that Switching the TV ON and OFF helps with remote-related issues.
If no input from the remote is detected on your Sky Glass TV’s end, the problem could be with the TV, rather than the remote.
Perhaps, restarting your Sky Glass will help the TV recognize the remote’s signal and start performing the commands sent by the remote.
Switching Sky Glass ON/OFF:
- Press the Power Button on the Sky Glass’s side panel.
- Wait for the remote to shut down.
- Unplug the Power Adapter of the remote.
- Wait for 3-5 minutes while the TV is unplugged.
- Re-attach the power cable to a source.
- Using the Sky Glass’s panel button, turn the device ON.
Once your Sky Glass boots up, attempt to trigger a software function using the Sky Puck. For insurance, you could attempt to bring up the settings tab or go to the Home page.
Alert: Make sure that the Sky Puck is pointed towards the TV at all times!
Solution #4 Replace Sky Puck’s Batteries
The next step is to Replace the Batteries of your Sky Puck remote.
- The Sky Puck remote uses 3 AAA alkaline standard batteries!
If the issue hasn’t been resolved this far, chances are that your remote has no charge to work with.
The batteries of the device must generate enough electricity to activate the functions of the remote and enable wireless communication with the Sky TV.
Let’s look up how to replace the Puck remote’s batteries:
- Turn the remote upside down.
- Detach the battery compartment latch.
- Expose the batteries.
- Use your fingers to push the batteries towards the spring.
- Eject each battery out of your remote.
- Grab a package of 3 fresh AAA batteries.
- Position all new batteries inside the remote.
- Close the battery compartment.
- Attempt to use your remote.
Note: Never use a second-hand battery since this way we can’t exclude this possibility!
Solution #5 Reprogram the Remote
Quite often the problem with any type of remote is that they get disconnected.
This is a common occurrence, especially if you’ve recently performed a reset on the receiver or had the remote without batteries for too long.
There’s a simple way to Reprogram the Sky Puck remote, back to your Sky box or the TV of the same brand that you’re using.
How to reprogram a Sky Puck remote:
- Point the Puck remote towards the receiver.
- Locate the “Q” button on your Sky box or Sky TV.
- Press and hold the Q button for 10-15 seconds.
- Wait for your Puck remote to start beeping.
- Press any button to complete the pairing.
Press a button on your Puck remote, only after hearing the loud beeping. By initiating a function on the Puck remote, you’ll notify the receiver that the remote is functioning.
Note: After pressing a button on the remote, the beeping will stop after a few moments.
Solution #6 Reset the Puck Remote
A great solution for a software problem with your Sky Puck remote is to perform a Reset.
Having any custom functions on the remote will be erased after the reset!
What a reset actually does, is have the software of your Sky Puck remote reverted to factory defaults.
Therefore, any customizations and configurations you’ve made to the device will be erased as a result of the factory reset you’re about to perform.
Let’s review how to perform a reset on your Sky Puck remote easily:
- On your remote, find the 7 and 9 buttons.
- Press and hold both buttons for 3 seconds.
- After releasing 7 and 9, press the 1 and 3 buttons simultaneously.
- Keep holding the second set of buttons for an additional 3 seconds.
If the remote is paired to your Sky device, an on-screen prompt will occur, that will guide you through the reset.
If no prompt occurs, then you have triggered a casual remote reset and the device should automatically program to the Sky receiver after a minute or so.
Note: Not pressing the second set of buttons on time, may fail the reset process!
Thus, to fix when a Sky Puck remote isn’t working, Power Reset the device and replace the batteries. Next, identify and resolve any wireless and physical interference in your setup. Finally, attempt to Reprogram the remote and perform a Factory Reset.
After answering why the Sky Puck remote not working and how to fix this, we hope you’ll manage it on your own.
One thing about remotes is sooner or later, they may just go faulty due to their limited life span. In such moments, it’s best to buy a new one!
Need a bulk of AAA batteries for your Sky Puck remote?
We strongly recommend the Exclusive 24-pack of AAA batteries at an approachable price.
This way you’ll always be prepared for whenever your remote’s batteries run out of charge and have a quick replacement and solution.
Read Next: Why Is ITV Hub Not Working On Sky Glass?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.