Your ISP has strict data caps so you try to set bitrate, but Roku bitrate override not working? Well, worry not!
Roku is a digital media streaming device that offers movies and series. The best way to fix the Roku bitrate override not working is to update Roku software and restart the device.
This article will explore why Roku bitrate override may fail to work as well as offer possible solutions.
Reasons Why Roku Bitrate Override is not Working
- Software not updated
- Poor WiFi connection
- ISP service might be down
Solutions to Roku Bitrate Override Not Working
There are several solutions to the Roku bitrate override issue. Some of them include;
Solution #1: Restart Your Device
Most Roku issues can be resolved by a restart. This should be the first step before trying other complex methods.
To restart your Roku:
- Press Home button on Roku remote
- Scroll up or down and select system
- Select system restart
- Use directional pads for the remote to highlight the restart button and press OK
If for some reason your Roku device freezes up and fails to respond to the remote, follow this button sequence on your remote to restart the device;
- Press the Home button five times
- Press the Up arrow one time
- Press the Rewind button two times
- Press Fast Forward button two times
- Wait for a few seconds and your Roku will restart
Another easy option would be to unplug your device from power, wait for 10-15 seconds then plug it back in.
Solution #2: Update Roku Software
If a restart does not solve the problem, your software might be the issue.
Roku devices are designed to automatically update in the background every 24-36 hours, but sometimes the process does not work.
It’s a good idea to manually check and update Roku periodically.
To manually update your Roku software, follow these steps:
- On your Roku remote, press the Home button
- Navigate to settings on the left side of your screen and select system
- Select system update
- The version of Roku you’re currently running will be displayed
- Select check now to manually check for updates
- Roku will check for available updates.
If an update is available, Roku will download and install it automatically and reboot itself.
Solution #3: Factory Reset Your Roku
If none of the above seem to work, try factory resetting your device through the steps below;
- On your Roku remote control press the Home button
- Scroll up or down and select settings
- Select system
- Select Advanced system settings
- Choose Factory reset
- Then select Factory reset everything
- Follow on screen instructions to finish the process
Note: Your device will automatically boot into the new system
Solution #4: Reset Your Router
Your router could be having issues with the network connection which makes it hard to set bitrate override.
If that is the case, you need to reset your router by following these steps:
- Keep your router plugged in
- Find the reset button at the back or bottom of your router
- Use a pin or paper clip to press and hold down the reset button for 10-15 seconds
- Release the button and wait for the router to reboot
If your router does not have a reset button, you can reset it from it’s configuration web page through these steps;
- Open your web browser and type your router’s IP address
- Enter your username and password
- Navigate to system or system tools
- Search for Restore or Factory default
- Click Restore then OK to confirm
- Wait as the router reboots
Solution #5: Change Wireless Broadcast Channel
Sometimes slow internet can pose a challenge in accessing Roku bitrate settings. Changing Wi-Fi channels might resolve the issue.
Try it and see if it works. Most modern routers broadcast on two channels: 2.4GHz and 5GHz. It’s advisable to pick the channel with the least traffic.
To change your Wi-Fi channel, follow the steps below:
- Open your web browser and type your routers IP address in the address bar
- Press Enter on your keyboard. If your browser displays a warning screen, click Advanced then continue
- Enter your username and password then click sign in
- Open wireless settings and select Advanced settings
- Click the channel’s drop-down menu and change to your preferred WiFi channel
- Finally, click Save or Apply
After saving your settings, your router will reboot. Now that you know how to change channels, you should be able to find the least crowded channel.
Finding Least Crowded Channel:
To find the least crowded channel, you have to download and install an app on your PC for that purpose. The best app for finding a suitable channel is Netspot.
Download and install Netspot by following these steps:
- Go to your browser and type Netspotapp.com on the address bar
- Click Get Netspot at the top right corner of your screen
- Scroll down and select Download now to download the free version
- Open the downloaded file then install the app
- Then launch Netspot and click continue
Netspot shows you all the active networks in your area. Click the name of your network to select it and ensure the box on your left is checked.
Netspot displays the channel you are using on the channel window. Select the frequency band you’re currently using and choose the channel with the least traffic.
After choosing a less crowded channel, you will notice the bar on your screen getting taller.
That means network speed has increased. After changing channels, go back to your Roku and try to access Bitrate override.
Solution #6: Set Connection Speed Manually
You can manually set the connection speed of your Roku by accessing the Select a speed screen.
To manually set a speed do the following:
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote 5 times
- Press the Rewind button 3 times
- Then press Fast forward button 2 times
On the subsequent screen, set the desired speed for your Roku device.
Note: To see the streaming speed of your Roku device while watching content, select Enable playback debugging.
Roku Bitrate Override Still Not Working…
Thus, to fix the Roku bitrate override, press the Home button on your Roku remote 5 times, then the Rewind button 3 times, and then the Fast Forward button 2 times.
Still not working?
If all the above methods fail to produce desired results, contact Roku customer service for further assistance.
1. Why Is It Impossible To Save Manual Bitrate?
If Playback Debugging is enabled, it is impossible to set this value directly, you have to disable it first.
2. How Do I Manage Data Usage On My Roku Device?
To regulate your bitrate, you may either utilize any individual channel’s video quality options (such as Netflix in your account settings) or change the network bandwidth allocation/limits for your Roku device on your home network in your router’s settings.
Which Is The Best Way To Control Data Consumed By My Roku Device?
The best way to work with data caps is to purchase a router that has the settings to limit data usage.
Read Next: How to Fix Plex Subtitles Not Working on Roku?
Use any of the above solutions to resolve Roku Bitrate override not working issue.
You don’t have to pay extra to your Internet service provider for exceeding your data cap. Set your bitrate and enjoy your favorite shows.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.