Wondering why the Peloton bike resistance not working? Well, you’re not the only one!
Many users had been unable to adjust the resistance of their Peloton Bike or Bike+ by turning the resistance knob in the most-left or most-right direction.
This guide will review what could possibly cause issues with the bike’s resistance and provide corresponding proven solutions!
Whenever the resistance of the Peloton bike isn’t adjusting, verify that the firmware is updated to the most current version and re-calibrate the resistance knob.
There is much more to review, so let’s get in-depth!
Why is the Resistance On Peloton Bike Not Working?
The resistance on your Peloton bike is the pedaling difficulty level controlled by the resistance knob during any workout.
To determine what causes the malfunction of the Peloton resistance knob, the first and most crucial step is to review all possible causes.
Here’s what could cause the Peloton resistance knob to stop working:
What is Peloton Bike Resistance?
The resistance defines how hard you must pedal to progress during your Peloton Bike workout.
Typically, you can do two types of pedaling workouts, one of which uses resistance to build up your strength, and the other uses cadence for cardiovascular benefit.
The resistance knob is used to specify the level of resistance the Peloton bike has during a workout, and a mechanism problem can prevent the resistance from being altered.
So, keep reading to uncover all possible resolutions to a malfunctioning resistance knob and fix the issue!
Peloton Bike Resistance Not Working – 6 Proven Solutions!
Tip: Follow our steps and instructions in a consecutive order!
1. Calibrate the Peloton Bike!
You must manually calibrate the knob using a Peloton calibration kit to resolve discrepancies in the Peloton bike’s resistance.
If you purchased the Peloton bike before 2022, you might have received a calibration kit within the fitness equipment package.
Recently, Peloton announced that anyone who wishes to calibrate the knob’s resistance must manually request a calibration kit from customer support.
Hence, if you need to re-adjust the bike’s resistance, contact customer support and request a calibration kit delivery!
How to Calibrate Peloton Bike Resistance Knob?
- Dislocate the sweat guard and the bottle holder with a Phillips screwdriver.
- Reset the Peloton panel by going to “Device Settings” > “System” > “Reset.”
- Once the device resets, tap the “Get Started” button on the Android display.
- At “Min Resistance Calibration,” tap “Max Resistance” and turn the knob right.
- After the first calibration, turn the resistance knob all the way to the left end.
- Position the calibration wedge tool between the 2nd and 3rd knob magnets.
- Next, turn the knob to rest on the wedge and ensure both pieces face forward.
- Press “Next” on the screen and turn the knob in quarter turn for the calibration.
- Power off the Android screen and unplug the Peloton bike for about 30 seconds.
Does a Peloton Bike+ Need Calibration?
The Peloton Bike+ model automatically calibrates the first time you plug the device into an electrical outlet, and each time, the fitness appliance is power cycled.
Hence, it is enough to address issues with the resistance calibration on your Bike+ by unplugging it from power.
Reminder: The Peloton Bike+ will start the calibration automatically after plugged in!
2. Inspect the Resistance Sensor!
Apart from the calibration of the resistance knob, another significant component must be in check to properly adjust the pedaling resistance of the bike.
The resistance sensor constantly blinks in red light and can be found over the top wheel, under the plastic cover.
When obstructed or covered with debris, the bike’s sensor cannot detect the current pedaling resistance and prevent the resistance knob from functioning correctly.
Hence, to verify that the resistance sensor is in proper condition, remove obstructions and clean the sensor thoroughly.
How to Clean the Peloton Bike’s Resistance Sensor?
- Locate the resistance sensor above the wheel of the bike.
- Use a wet cloth to collect all debris from the Peloton sensor.
- Next, wait until the sensor dries or brush it with a dry cloth.
Alert: If the resistance sensor isn’t blinking, there may be an underlying malfunction!
3. Restart the Peloton’s Workout
Since multiple workout modes are available for the Peloton Bike and Bike+, the resistance issue could be related to improper workout settings.
To resolve non-lasting issues with the resistance knob of the Peloton bike, it is advised to exit the current workout and re-adjust the knob.
- Press the “Exit” button on the Android panel if the Peloton bike has started a workout.
Once you’re no longer in a workout, navigate back to the homepage of the Android panel and check if the Wi-Fi connection is secure.
If the tablet’s Android panel can be operated without interruptions, access the workout menu and start a standard workout that allows resistance.
Note: Verify that the newly started workout doesn’t use saved preferences!
4. Power Cycle the Peloton Unit
A quick and efficient resolution when the Peloton Bike resistance knob not working is to perform a power circulation on the unit.
By unplugging the power cord of the Peloton device, all current electricity will be discharged, and the resistance knob adjustment will be reset.
Follow these steps to perform a power cycle on the Peloton unit:
- Unplug the power cable from the back of the Peloton bike.
- Press and hold the “power” button on the back of the tablet.
- Hold the button for 30 seconds and plug the power cable in.
- Wait until the Peloton Bike and the display turn on together.
- Test the resistance knob and determine if it works properly.
While the power cable of the Peloton Bike is unplugged, inspect the condition of the hardware and verify there are no visual damages.
A potential malfunction with the resistance knob or the Peloton Bike might resemble a loose or broken component or a visible crack.
Note: For hardware damages with the Peloton Bike, contact their customer support!
5. Update the Peloton’s Firmware!
An outdated version of the Peloton Bike’s firmware could cause potential issues with the resistance knob.
The appliance must be added to the mobile Peloton application and updated through the app’s device panel to verify that the bike is updated to the latest firmware version.
Info: The Peloton app automatically detects newer software versions for the bike!
Here’s how to update the Peloton bike to the latest firmware version:
- Open the Peloton application on your mobile device.
- Tap the “Home” icon on the bottom-left screen corner.
- Wait for 20-30 seconds until the app detects a version.
- Tap “Update” on the prompt that will occur for initiation.
- Wait until the firmware update of the bike is completed.
If the Peloton application doesn’t detect a newer firmware version of the bike, check if the mobile device is securely connected to a Wi-Fi network.
In addition, inspect the network equipment and the Wi-Fi router for potential issues that could cause connectivity throttles.
Note: Your Peloton must be connected to the internet to update!
6. Factory Reset the Bike’s System!
To resolve all underlying issues with the Peloton Bike, it is advised to perform a factory reset on the system.
Erasing all options to the Peloton Bike system and settings may restore the functionality of the resistance knob and restore your access to Peloton workout regulations.
Warning: The factory reset will erase all your system settings, data, and configurations!
Follow these steps to perform a factory reset on the system of the Peloton bike/bike+:
- Verify that the Peloton Bike or Bike+ is connected to the power supply.
- Next, locate the “power” button on the back of the Android’s display.
- Press the Power button to turn off the display and the Peloton bike.
- After that, locate the physical “Volume Up” button on the Peloton bike.
- To start the reset, hold the “Power” and “Volume Up” buttons together.
Remember that you shouldn’t interact with the Peloton bike once the factory reset has been initiated.
After the process is ready, the Peloton Bike or Bike+ display will request an initial setup process that you must complete to start using the Peloton fitness appliance again.
Note: The data loss after a factory reset can’t be recovered!
To fix when the Peloton bike resistance not working, calibrate the Bike with or without the Peloton calibration tools and update the firmware.
If the issue persists, clean the Peloton Bike’s sensors, power cycle the appliance, and perform a factory restoration.
Visit our blog for more!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.