If the Oura ring not tracking sleep, we have the answer and the resolution to the problem!
One of the most significant features of the Oura ring is that it maintains constant recordings of your sleep schedule and vitals during nighttime.
Whenever the ring isn’t tracking your sleep, there could be an issue with the Oura application or the ring’s software/hardware condition.
Whenever the Oura ring is not recording your sleep, update the Oura app to the latest firmware version and check the connectivity of the ring. If the issue persists, ensure the ring is fully charged before bed and perform a factory reset, with or without any backup.
Let’s investigate the reason behind the missing Oura sleep recordings!
Why is My Oura Ring Not Tracking My Sleep?
Although the Oura team is actively working on many known issues with the Oura ring and the software, simple misunderstandings could prevent the ring from categorizing your data.
The first step to restoring the functionality of the sleep tracker function is reviewing all possible causes!
Here’s what could prevent the Oura sleep tracker from saving your data:
All readings and measurements completed by the Oura ring of your sleep schedule can be found within the “Sleep🌙” tab of the Oura mobile application!
About the Oura Ring Sleep Data!
You must be in one of the three stages of sleep (REM, light, or deep sleep) to activate the nighttime schedule of the Oura ring.
- The ring recognizes your sleep type by measuring your skin temperature and vitals, such as breathing patterns and heart rate.
Once all data is collected, you can view your sleep by opening the Oura mobile application.
Note: Oura categorizes your sleep data into weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly insight reports!
Oura Ring Not Tracking Sleep – 6 Effective Solutions!
Tip: Follow our instructions chronologically!
1. Wear the Ring Properly!
The Oura ring will not acquire your sleep vitals if you’re not wearing the ring correctly.
The accelerometer sensor must sit tightly on your finger throughout the night to detect all subtle nighttime events, display the correct heart rate, and show how much time you have slept.
If the Oura ring is loose or falls off while you sleep, the ring will be unable to measure your skin temperature and detect that you’ve fallen asleep.
Thus, verify that you’ve put on the Oura ring.
How to Secure Oura Ring When Loose?
According to the size of the ring, the Oura can be matched perfectly with your thumb or middle finger if the size is “Large.”
A smaller Oura ring can fit on your pointer finger or even on the pinky if you have the most miniature version of the smart ring.
Note: The ring shouldn’t be easily moved from your finger once pushed into the correct position!
2. Reconnect the Oura Ring
Another possibility is that the Oura ring has unpaired from your mobile device and has lost connection with the mobile Oura application.
If this happens, no sleep will be tracked and recorded, and there will be no data about your nighttime vitals and sleep condition.
Info: The pairing steps are identical for Android and Apple OS devices!
Follow these steps to verify that the Oura ring is paired to your mobile device:
- First, verify that the Oura ring’s battery is charged sufficiently.
- Next, open the Oura app and allow the ring to use Bluetooth.
- Wait until the app detects your ring and press on “Connect.”
- Allow the pairing of the ring on the appearing pop-up dialog.
- Wait until the Oura ring’s profile is created within the Oura app.
Note: Once the ring is added, you can access advanced customization options!
3. Re-Charge the Oura Ring
The Oura ring may have stopped tracking your sleep vitals because it has run out of battery in the middle of the night.
To verify that the ring is active throughout the night and is tracking your sleep accurately, it must be charged to total battery capacity.
Important: Before sleep, verify that the Oura ring has been connected to a charger!
You can view the current battery capacity of the Oura ring in your mobile device’s dashboard or throughout the Oura mobile application.
If you go to bed while the Oura ring has less than 15% battery, the unit will eventually turn off and stop recording your sleep in the middle of the night.
How to Charge Oura Ring Effectively?
You can purchase a wireless charging pod for the Oura ring or use the in-built micro-USB port.
Either method for charging the ring is equally effective, but the wireless charging pod takes the edge for ease of access, charging, and managing.
Note: Wire-free charging can sometimes be less impactful to the hardware of the ring!
4. Identify Issues with the Oura App!
The most common cause of faults with the sleep schedule measurements of your Oura ring is underlying issues with the Oura mobile application.
Not clearing the app cache or not updating the firmware version of the Oura app could result in different kinds of issues with the tracking…
The Oura ring/app might experience sleep-tracking issues due to the following:
- Outdated version of the Oura mobile application.
- An issue with the Wi-Fi connection of the device.
- Uncleared app cache and data of your Oura app.
Proven Methods to Resolve Oura App Issues!
Here are some practical solutions to problems with the Oura application:
- Clear the generated cache/data of the Oura app within the settings.
- Verify that your mobile device is connected to a stable/secure WiFi.
- Update the firmware version of the Oura app through the app store.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Oura application from your mobile device.
Once you have applied all of the following solutions, there shouldn’t be any functionality issues with the Oura application.
In addition, you must check for an ongoing outage or maintenance with the Oura application by visiting the online status checker!
Note: The Oura can be brought down for hours during maintenance!
5. Update the Oura Ring Firmware!
Another reason why the Oura ring not showing sleep data is because of an outdated version of the ring’s firmware.
The latest optimizations of the sleep tracking system require the most current firmware version released by Oura, so it is necessary to update the Oura ring software!
Here’s how to update the Oura ring to the most current firmware version:
- Open the Oura app on your mobile Android or Apple (iOS) device.
- Next, idle on the application’s homepage for at least 15-30 seconds.
- Wait for the “Firmware” prompt to appear on the center of the screen.
- Tap the “Update Now” button to start the Oura ring’s firmware update.
The Oura app will automatically display a firmware update prompt whenever a newer version is available for the ring, so you don’t have to do it manually.
Typically, the prompt should appear right after starting the Oura application, as long as your Oura Ring device connection is secure.
Note: Verify that the mobile device is connected to the internet if the prompt isn’t showing up!
6. Factory Reset the Oura Ring!
If the ring is still not displaying accurate sleep data, an effective resolution is to restore the device to factory defaults.
You can complete a full wipe of the ring’s settings or back up the essential data to re-apply once you have completed the factory process.
How to Back up Oura Ring Content and Settings?
There’s an option to back up most configurations made to the Oura ring app and ring so they aren’t lost due to the factory reset.
- To prevent significant Oura content deletion, go to “Menu” > “Settings” > “Backup All Data” within the Oura mobile application.
How to Restore Oura Ring to Factory Defaults?
- Check if the Oura ring is securely connected to the Wi-Fi network.
- Connect the Oura ring to the charger and verify it has at least 50%.
- Next, open the Oura app on your mobile Android or iOS device.
- Tap the menu icon and choose the factory reset icon in the corner.
- Swipe left to access the “Tools” section and select “Factory Reset.”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Oura ring reset.
Remember that not charging the ring before the factory reset can cause issues during the process.
The factory reset process consumes a large amount of the ring’s remaining battery, and it is likely that you will have to charge the Oura ring again once the reset is completed.
Tip: For more help, contact Oura Customer Service!
Hence, to fix when the Oura ring not tracking sleep, verify that the ring is connected to an internet network and update the firmware of the Ring and Oura app.
If the problem is still there, inspect for any issues with the mobile app and force a factory reset on your ring!
Follow our blog for more helpful Oura Ring tips and technical solutions!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.