If you’re looking for a quick Orbi outdoor satellite setup guide, well, you’ve found it!
In this guide we’ll learn all about the Orbi outdoor satellite, how it works, the best way to set up the device, and of course a detailed step-by-step guide.
In addition, we’ll learn how to overcome possible issues during the setup and point out all of the essential aspects and factors.
The Orbi outdoor satellite installation setup consists of selecting a location, mounting the satellite, and then syncing with the Orbi router.
When the setup is over, you would need to configure the satellite WiFi settings and a test to check if everything works.
Let’s first learn to know the difference!
Orbi Indoor Satellite Vs. Outdoor Satellite
Before we discuss how to set up Orbi’s outdoor satellite, it’s best to first understand the main differences between indoor and outdoor Orbi satellites.
These facts will help you determine the best location, the benefits and disadvantages, respectively to your Orbi product!
- The main difference between indoor and outdoor Orbi satellites is that you can’t install the indoor satellite outside!
This is due to the primary Orbi outdoor satellite modification – water and heat resistance, which allows the device to withstand weather conditions.
However, no device should be exposed to harsh and extreme weather and the recommended temperature for the satellite is 4°F to 122°F.
In case you’ve got the outdoor Orbi satellite, then let’s continue with the guide and learn the correct way of setting up!
How to Setup Orbi Outdoor Satellite? – Quick & Easy Steps!
This setup guide works for the Orbi Tri-Band Outdoor Satellite and for indoor satellites for a safe and secure outdoor installation.
So without further ado, let’s proceed with the first step!
1. Select a Suitable Location
The very first and most important step is to select a suitable location for your Orbi outdoor satellite, which on its own has some requirements.
Now, here comes the question of whether you’re going to connect the satellite to the router wirelessly (over WiFi) or via Ethernet cable.
Wireless Orbi Connection – Best Location:
If you intend to connect your Orbi outdoor satellite to the Orbi router over WiFi (wirelessly), then the best location depends on your home and yard.
The satellite must be within the Orbi router’s reach, but also close to the area that you would like to cover with WiFi.
Wired Orbi Connection – Best Location:
The outdoor Orbi satellite cannot be connected via Ethernet to the Orib router due to the lack of an Ethernet port.
This is why if you’re going to install an Ethernet-enabled satellite outdoors, you need to consider that and avoid rain, sun, snow, and dust.
Info: Keep in mind that the satellite needs to be near an electrical outlet except if you have a prepared power extender to bring electricity.
2. Mount the Orbi Satellite Securely!
Once you’ve found the perfect spot for your Orbi satellite, you need to mount the device by using the provided kit.
The mounting kit includes anchors + bolts for different types of surfaces so you can securely mount the Orbi satellite.
Note: You might need a helping hand during the mounting!
3. Connect Outdoor Satellite to Power
Once the Orbi satellite is securely mounted in its permanent position, it’s time to connect the power cable connector to the power port on the Orbi satellite.
Next, plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet (direct connection is recommended), which will power the Orbi satellite.
Securing the Power Income!
In contrast to the outdoor satellite, the adapter is not secured from the weather elements such as most outdoor outlets (especially if you have an extender).
This is why you need to either use a weatherproof cover or simply ensure that the power adapter/outlet will not be flooded.
Pro Tip: Secure the power cable tightly to a wall, to prevent disconnecting due to wind.
4. Connect Satellite to Orbi Router
When the device is mounted and connected to the power, the next step in the Orbi outdoor satellite setup is to sync with the router.
As we’ve previously mentioned, there are 2 ways of connecting the Orbi satellite to the Orbi router – wirelessly and wired.
Let’s review both ways to sync both devices in quick steps!
Connect Orbi Satellite to Orbi Router – Wirelessly:
- Ensure that the Orbi satellite and router are working.
- Press the “Sync” button on the Orbi satellite.
- Then, within 2 minutes, press “Sync” on the router.
- Wait for the white light on the satellite to appear.
- This means that both devices are now synced.
Connect Orbi Satellite to Orbi Router – Ethernet:
Note: The below steps won’t work for Orbi Tri-band Mesh WiFi Outdoor Satellite!
- Ensure that both Orbi setup devices are working.
- Connect one side of the Ethernet cable to the router.
- Note: Do not plug into the yellow port of the router.
- Connect the other Ethernet cable end to the satellite.
- Note: There are 4 Ethernet inputs on the satellite.
Note: In case the wireless connection fails, relocate the Orbi satellite closer to the router!
5. Setup the Satellite Network Settings!
In case this satellite has never been set up with your Orbi router there, then there are a few extra steps that you need to undertake.
They involve opening the Orbi control panel and checking the satellite-specific settings.
Configuration via the Control Panel:
- Connect a phone or computer to the Orbi router.
- Go to “http://orbilogin.com” to enter the settings.
- Insert “admin” – “password” as login credentials.
- On the home page, select the “Wireless” tab.
- Select the Orbi satellite for the configuration.
- Find the Name (SSID) or Password (Network Key).
- Select a name and password for the satellite WiFi.
- It’s important to click on “Apply” before you exit.
Note: If you’re redirected to netgear.com, then your device is not connected to the Orbi WiFi or the router via Ethernet cable.
Configuration via Orbi Application:
- Download the Orbi app on your device (Android & iOS).
- Connect the device to the Orbi router’s WiFi.
- Open the Orbi app and sign into your account.
- Press on the “WiFi” tab to enter the wireless settings.
- Type the new SSID in the “WiFi Network Name” field.
- Then insert the WiFi password in the “Network Key”.
- Press on the “Save” button to remember the changes.
That was the complete Netgear Orbi outdoor satellite WiFi extender setup you should be able to connect with any of your devices.
Let’s proceed and learn how to test if the WiFi is working!
6. Test the Orbi Outdoor Satellite’s WiFi
Now you have your entire backyard, covered with WiFi so it’s time to perform some tests to check how strong the signal is.
The easiest networking task would be to attempt streaming from any platform such as YouTube or Netflix, or simply access the internet.
Another great way to test whether the WiFi is consistent and reliable is to download a “ping tool” from Google Play or App Store.
This utility would allow you to ping, for example, Google’s DNS and start observing whether any network data packets are dropping.
Connected to Satellite But No Internet?
If you’re connected to the Orbi satellite but there is no internet, the reason could be in the router, hence, this is why you need to test.
Connect to the Orbi router’s WiFi and check whether there is an internet connection at the spot where the Orbi outdoor satellite is installed.
- If yes, then re-set up the Orbi outdoor satellite from scratch!
- If not, then relocate the Orbi satellite closer to the router!
Tip: Perform a power circulation on your Orbi router, then on Orbi satellite to refresh all services!
Orbi Outdoor WiFi Satellite is Inconsistent?
In case the WiFi from the Orbi outdoor satellite is weak or inconsistent you need to check and verify that there is no interference.
When outdoors, the satellite is often exposed to wireless obstructions, and in this regard, you need to ensure that the satellite is not covered.
Note: It’s proven that large metal objects often interfere with WiFi and cellular signals!
Here, we’ve learned everything about the Orbi outdoor satellite setup and the best way to establish a working WiFi.
We also now know that the location and power income is one of the most important factors that need to be considered prior to mounting the satellite.
We hope that this guide was helpful so check our blog for Orbi content!
Read Next: How to Fix Orbi Satellite Ethernet Ports Not Working?
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.