If you’re wondering why NOW TV Chromecast not working, then you’ve found the solution!
Being unable to mirror the NOW TV content from your phone to a bigger Chromecast screen could be frustrating, mainly if you’ve settled in for a movie night.
To help you understand and resolve the issue, it’s crucial to transcribe all potential possibilities leading to the Chromecast failure!
When NOW TV won’t work on your Chromecast, check whether the streaming player is connected to Wi-Fi and update the NOW firmware version. Also, if the issue is persistent, deactivate any VPN or Proxy services on your devices and factory reset the Chromecast.
There is much more to review, so keep reading!
Why is NOW TV Not Working with Chromecast?
Here’s why you’re unable to cast NOW TV to your Chromecast:
NOW TV & Chromecast Compatibility!
Numerous reports have shown that first-generation Chromecast players can no longer connect with NOW TV.
The platform no longer supports the first-ever Chromecast streaming player, and it will not appear in the “Cast” menu of the NOW TV platform.
Hence, only the Chromecast 2nd and 3rd generation are compatible with the NOW TV content and can connect with the platform via wireless (Wi-Fi) connectivity!
Regional Requirements for NOW TV!
Although NOW TV was launched in 2012 in the UK, the service has found its way to Ireland, Italy, the United States and Germany for subscription and streaming.
If you’re not in an area where NOW TV is supported, this could be why you can’t cast content.
Note: If NOW TV isn’t available in your area, the platform won’t let you subscribe to a plan!
NOW TV Chromecast Not Working – Here’s How to Fix!
Info: Before proceeding with the guide, verify that you’ve completed the initial setup of the Chromecast.
To manage the settings of the Chromecast and adjust the connectivity options, verify that you’ve installed Google Home on your casting device!
1. Reconnect the Chromecast to Wi-Fi!
The first step is to verify that the Chromecast has successfully established a connection to your home Wi-Fi network.
If the Chromecast is offline, the device won’t appear in the “Cast” menu of the NOW TV application.
Hence, you won’t be able to display mirror content from the platform.
Here’s how to reconnect the Chromecast device to Wi-Fi in easy steps:
- Open the Google Home app installed on your device.
- From the available home devices, select “Chromecast”.
- Next, tap the gear icon situated at the top-right corner.
- Once in “Device Settings”, select “Wi-Fi” at the bottom.
- Press on “Forget this Network” and wait for the re-scan.
- Select your home network from all available networks.
- Insert the Wi-Fi password assigned and press “Connect”.
Tip: To power cycle the Chromecast device, unplug it from the back of the TV device!
Is Your Casting Device Connected to Wi-Fi?
Even if you’ve successfully restored the Wi-Fi connection of the Chromecast, another critical factor is the connectivity of the casting device.
Whether you’re on Android or iOS or a desktop device, navigate to the “Wi-Fi” tab in the settings and reconnect with your home network!
Tip: Address poor or inconsistent network connection by rebooting the network router!
2. Update the Version of the NOW App!
If the NOW TV application is not updated to the current firmware version, there could be issues mirroring content on locally connected devices.
To verify that the NOW TV is compatible with Chromecast, the next most important step is to update the version of the platform to the latest!
Here’s how to update NOW TV on your casting device:
- Open the Google Play/App Store on your casting device.
- Select your profile icon at the top-right corner of the page.
- After that, press “Manage Installed Applications” at the top.
- Scroll down and locate where the NOW TV app is installed.
- Then, tap the “Update” button next to the application’s icon.
- Wait until the NOW TV platform receives the latest version.
Tip: In the device configuration, allow “Automatic Updates” for all installed apps!
How to Update Casting Device Firmware Version?
Updating the casting device is essential to maintain proper compatibility between NOW TV and Chromecast.
Here’s how to conduct an update on your device, whether it’s Android or Apple:
- On Android, go to Settings > “System” > “Firmware Update” > “Start Update”.
- On iOS, go to Settings > “General” > “Software Update” > “Install Now”.
If you’re using an alternative device, such as a desktop computer, go to the “Software Update” tab in the settings.
If a new update is available, make sure to update the unit before proceeding.
Note: The device must be connected to Wi-Fi to upload firmware updates!
3. Cast Different NOW TV Content
The issue may be related to the NOW TV content you’re attempting to cast to the Chromecast.
If there’s a restriction on the media or the content isn’t available in your area of residence, it is possible that the TV show/movie cannot be mirrored on a locally connected streaming player.
- Go to the homepage of the NOW TV app, play different content and press “Cast”.
If the Chromecast is available in the network, selecting the device from the menu will instantly display NOW TV on the connected device.
So, attempt to cast multiple different types of content to determine if a restriction for broadcasting impacts some of the media or if the issue is global.
How Does a VPN Impact NOW TV Content?
Another significant requirement is to avoid using a VPN on your casting device while attempting to cast NOW TV content.
The VPN may allow access to content and media that is currently not available in your country’s NOW TV lineup, and Chromecasting will likely fail.
Note: The same applies to enabled Proxy on your network router!
4. Remove and Reinstall the NOW TV App!
Uninstalling the NOW TV platform from your mobile device and downloading it again holds the most significant chance of resolving casting-related complications.
Removing NOW TV will sign you out from the associated user account and erase the generated cache of the application!
Here’s how to reinstall the NOW TV app on Android and iOS devices:
- Open the “Settings” app on your Android/iOS mobile device.
- Scroll down and select “NOW” or find the app in the storage.
- Once in the app’s settings, tap the “Uninstall” button to erase.
- Wait until the NOW application has finalised the uninstallation.
- After that, access the Google Play/App Store on your device.
- Finally, use the search field to locate the NOW TV application.
- Download the application on your mobile device and sign in.
Tip: If you cannot recall your user login, use the “I Forgot My” button on the sign-in page!
How to Clear the NOW TV App Cache?
To maintain the fast performance speeds of the platform and avoid encountering software faults, it is advised to clear the cache of NOW TV now and then.
After using the app for a while, excess data files (cache) are generated, which can lead to bad performance and casting issues.
- To clear the cache on Android, go to Settings > “Storage” > “Clear Data/Cache”.
- To offload the NOW TV app on iOS, go to Settings > “NOW TV” > “Offload App”.
Note: When you “offload” an app on iOS, you must download the app again from the AppStore!
5. Reset Your Chromecast to Default!
By converting the Chromecast to the default settings configuration, you will eliminate most of the potential NOW TV casting issues.
However, erasing the software of your Chromecast will reset the device’s settings and permanently delete all installed apps and any personal configurations!
Warning: Lost information after a factory reset cannot be brought back/restored!
Here’s how to perform a factory reset on the Chromecast via the Google Home app:
- Open the Google Home app on your iPhone/Android device.
- Tap on the Chromecast’s tile in the middle of the app’ screen.
- Next, select the “Settings” (gear icon) button at the top-right.
- Tap “More”, scroll down and choose the “Factory Reset” tab.
- To confirm and start the process, select “Factory Reset” again.
Once the factory reset starts, the Chromecast’s broadcast will disappear from the TV screen, and the streaming player will reboot.
Do not interact with the Chromecast physically or press any buttons on the remote control until the device has rebooted and finished the factory reset.
Alert: Once the reset is finalised, you must set up the Chromecast through Google Home!
To fix whenever NOW TV Chromecast not working, first, reboot the streaming player and update the firmware of NOW TV and the mobile device.
If the issue persists, deactivate all network VPN services, clear the NOW TV app cache and factory reset your Chromecast.
Follow us for more helpful Chromecast tips and tricks!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.