When there is no sound from Apple Music on your Android or iOS device, there are two general possibilities – an issue with the streaming device or a third-party app interference.
When there is no sound coming out from Apple Music, first check the Mute button and the Volume of your device.
The next step is to unplug audio output devices such as headphones, unpair from Bluetooth speakers, and update the device’s firmware version.
Let’s unwrap more!
Why Can’t I Hear My Apple Music?
Here are the top 7 reasons why you can’t hear sound from Apple Music:
- There’s an external device connected
- A problem with the volume/audio of your device
- Application problem with Apple Music
- Throttling in the WiFi connection
- Bluetooth pairing to a low-volume speaker
- Improper audio broadcast in Apple Music
- Your subscription is not paid/outdated
Apple Music Problem on Android?
Fortunately, Apple has posted its Music application in the Google Play store as well, meaning Android users also have access to the platform.
You will be able to access Apple Music on Android devices in two ways:
- From the browser
- From the application
Info: Apple Music on Android is also occasionally updated.
Make sure that you keep the platform running the latest version on your Android phone!
8 Things to Do When No Sound From Apple Music?
Follow our solutions in the order they are!
1. Check the Volume of your Device
Perhaps, your device is either muted or the volume is too lowered.
The thing we must check most forward is the basic audio settings of your device and determine if the “no sound” problem is caused by the volume setting of your device.
- Press the “Volume +” button on the side of your phone to increase the volume
Is your Device Muted?
Mind that mobile devices can be muted from two instances. For example, iPhones and some Android devices have a hardware mute button that when pressed towards the left, will mute your phone completely.
2. Reboot Apple Music & Device
The next thing we will try is a simple reboot on your streaming device and the Apple Music application.
If the platform has encountered a fatal software problem, it must be restarted along with the software of your phone, to resolve the problem!
Follow these steps to reboot your device and Apple Music:
- Exit the Apple Music app using the home button on your device.
- Press and hold the power button of your mobile smartphone.
- Select the “Reboot” option in the power menu of your device.
- Wait for your phone/tablet to undergo the necessary reboot.
Info: Once your device has restarted, there will be no temporal data so you will have to re-open the Apple Music application and test the songs.
Try with a different music broadcast than the one you tested before the reboot.
3. Change the Output Audio Device
Having connected third-party devices to your mobile device could cause interruptions with the audio output.
To resolve all similar problems, you must place your phone on the “Default Audio Output” setting, thus, the in-built speakers of the mobile phone.
How to Change Output Device On iOS:
- Launch the Control Center on your iPhone/iPad/iPod.
- Press and hold the “Audio Card” in the upper-right corner.
- Select the device you wish to output the sound.
How to Change Output Device On Android:
- On your Android, tap Settings > “Connected Devices”.
- Tap Settings next to the devices that have “Paired” next to them.
- Choose “Disconnect” to unpair the headphones/speakers.
- Unplug any AUX cables from your mobile device, that may belong to a speaker or an audio system.
Note: On iOS devices, you don’t have to unpair Bluetooth devices to switch the audio output, whilst, on Androids, you have to.
4. Clear Apple Music Cache
If you’ve used the Apple Music application for a while now, it could be that too much app cache has piled up, and functionality issues occurred with the platform.
In this step, we will learn how to clear the cache of Apple Music on both Android and iOS devices!
How to Clear Apple Music Cache On iOS:
Info: There’s a special and more effective way to clear the cache of Apple Music on iOS devices.
Since the Music platform on Apple works best with iOS devices, the “Sync Library” feature allows saving songs and music at the cost of storage!
- Navigate to Settings on your Apple device.
- Navigate into the “Music” tab from the menu.
- Turn off the “Sync Library” option.
How to Clear Apple Music Cache On Android:
- Launch the Settings of your Android device.
- Head into the “Apps & Notifications” tab.
- Choose “Apps” from the on-screen options.
- Scroll down and find Apple Music from the list.
- Tap “Storage” > “Clear Cache” > “Apple Music Cache”.
If clearing the cache of Apple Music didn’t work, let’s check the WiFi!
5. Troubleshoot your Wi-Fi Connection!
If the WiFi connection on your mobile device is weak or insufficient, it could be causing issues with the Apple Music platform in terms of audio loss.
The best way to troubleshoot WiFi on mobile devices is to re-enable a few settings and check your network device too!
How to Troubleshoot Mobile Wi-Fi Connection?
- Hard reset your router – Unplug your network device for about 5-6 minutes
- Re-enable WiFi – Go into Settings > WiFi on your device and re-activate the feature
- Move closer to the WiFi – Along with your phone, move closer to the router/modem
Info: If you’re experiencing internet-related issues on other devices, it’s best to get in touch with your ISP for further association.
6. Update Apple Music Firmware
Updating Apple Music is only possible when a few requirements are met. For this purpose, you will need several things.
Things You’ll Need:
- A PC/Laptop device
- An appropriate phone adapter
- The iTunes app installed
How to Update Apple Music On iOS:
- Connect your iOS device via lightning cable to your PC/laptop.
- Launch the iTunes application on your Windows/Mac device.
- Click the “Devices” button near the top left of the iTunes store.
- Click “Summary” > “Check for Updates” > “Update”.
How to Update Apple Music On Android:
- Connect your Android via a micro-USB or USB Type-C cable.
- Open iTunes on your Window or MAC-supported device.
- Go to “Devices” > “Summary” > “Check for Updates”.
Info: Updating Apple Music through the iTunes store will automatically upload the latest version to the platform!
7. Verify your Apple Music Subscription!
Apple Music will not function properly if your subscription is either expired or your account is temporarily suspended.
To check if your Apple account is working fine with Apple Music, we must verify that all dues and monthly subscriptions are paid!
How to Renew Apple Music Subscription (iOS):
- Go into the Settings of your device.
- Navigate to the “Music” tab.
- Select the subscription button.
- Follow the steps.
How to Renew Apple Music Subscription (Android):
- Open the Apple Music app.
- Head into the account settings tab.
- Look for a “Subscription” tab.
- Follow the instructions.
Notice: You will have to associate a valid payment method in order to renew your Apple Music subscription.
Your bank account must have enough funds or if you’re using a gift card, the code on the card must be valid.
8. Stream Apple Music from a Different Device!
Perhaps, there’s a problem with your streaming device rather than Apple Music.
To address this problem, we strongly recommend streaming Apple Music through the same account, but on a different device, only if possible.
- Use your PC/laptop to sign in to Apple Music through a browser and test
In fact, you should play the same songs through the testing device as you did on your mobile device. This will furthermore prove where the problem is and whether it is with your mobile device or the Apple Music platform.
Tip: Try to stream Apple Music from a family member or friend’s phone!
Reaching this far into the guide means that our solutions didn’t help.
In such a case, we strongly recommend visiting the Apple Support Page for more assistance regarding this problem. They will provide you with fresh troubleshooting solutions and tips!
We’ve learned that when there is no sound from Apple Music, you must reboot your device and verify that the WiFi connection is secure.
If you’re still having issues, update the platform to the latest version and check the audio settings of your device!
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.