How to turn off wifi on Netgear router? Netgear cable router devices are the best options for any site such as office, business, or basic home wireless networking since they provide excellent support in wifi service.
However, with the large array of mobile Netgear cable router devices that offer support, you might want to learn the steps on how to enable or disable the wireless radios on your router.
This article can help you manage your wifi service whether you want the Netgear router turned off or set it back to functioning.
To turn off wifi on the Netgear router, access the GUI page of the router and configure it. See to it that you still have the booklet that came with the router. You will need the username and password that are noted there when you get connected routerlogin page.
Why Turn Off Wifi on Netgear Router?
A lot of internet users do not know that they can put their sensitive information in danger while they are online.
Particularly, mobile Netgear cable router devices can be prone to assault from wireless rivals.
Whether you enable or disable the wireless radios through wifi on-off button press, it can create an impact on your experience.
Nevertheless, there are other reasons why you are encouraged to disable wifi service on your router:
- It can Improve Personal Security
- It can Support you in Saving Money
Tip: You may want to enable or disable your wireless radios on your Netgear through a certain schedule.
Although the wifi function is already disabled, you can still go back in accessing the web by using the wired network.
Steps On How To Turn Off Wifi On Netgear Router
How to turn off wifi on my Netgear router? Technical support can guide you. However, you should only refer to a professional if you think you have done your part doing the basic tasks.
You might want to read this article to search and find out related steps that can help address the issue:
Step #1: Connect Your Device To The Netgear Router’s Network With Ethernet Cable
Since the turning off of wifi network shall be done on your computer or desktop, you should first connect the device to the Netgear router.
Get your computer or desktop connected to the router through an Ethernet cable.
- With an Ethernet cable, make sure that your modem is connected to the yellow port found at the back portion of the Netgear router.
- Connect your computer to any of the Ethernet ports found in the router.
- Make sure that the router is turned on.
Step #2: Open the Web Browser
Launch any browser to connect to the Netgear router. This page will lead you to the necessary configuration.
- Access the admin GUI page.
- You will then see the routerlogin screen in your web browser.
- The browser with the http link will redirect you to the screen of Netgear router’s admin page.
Step #3: Login with the Username and Password
Once you reach the admin page, you will be prompted to enter your login information. Log in with your username and password.
Each Netgear router has its default username and default password which can be found in the booklet or at the back of the Netgear router.
- The default username and the default password are Admin and Password
- Remember that the username and password are case-sensitive, so make sure to log them correctly.
Step #4: Click the Advanced Setup Wireless Settings
After you log the username and password, windows will prompt and you will see several settings.
- Find the Advanced tab and click it.
- You should then look for the Advanced setup wireless settings and click it.
- Select Wireless Settings.
Step #5: Turn Off Wifi Network
The router features internal wireless radios to transmit signals on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
These frequencies were enabled by default to let users wirelessly connect to the device. Turning off these radios will deactivate its wireless ability.
However, users can still go for a LAN connection through an Ethernet cable.
- Select or clear the Enable Wireless Router Radio check boxes. The current setting shall be applicable for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHZ networks.
- Turn off the wifi services by disabling the wifi for both networks.
- Uncheck both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz sections.
- Unchecking the check boxes will finally shut off the Wifi network feature on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz sections.
Step #6: Finally, Click The Apply Button
Scroll down and do not forget to click the Apply button to make sure changes are saved. You will see that the WPS LED and WiFi On/Off LED are no longer lit.
Is Wifi Still Not Disabled On Your Netgear Router?
Turned off wifi on the mobile Netgear cable router, especially during nighttime, is a smart practice to start as it can help cut down the electromagnetic field radiation exposure to your family.
Simply press the wifi on-off button feature of Netgear for two seconds. Are you still having a problem shutting down the wifi network and WPS wifi services on your Netgear router?
Make sure that you follow the above instructions carefully.
However, in case the steps do not work, then select an alternative method.
- Make sure that you select or clear the Enable Wireless Router Radio check boxes
- Next click on Apply.
- Reboot your router by clicking Advanced >> Advanced Home >> Router Information >> Reboot
- Contact technical support for related help.
Read Next: Why is My Netgear Router Not Broadcasting WiFi?
How to turn off wifi on Netgear router? Should you enable or disable your wifi radios? Turning on the basic wifi network continuously can be risky.
Hence, it is recommended that you turn it off and reduce the electromagnetic field exposure to a certain level.
Doing so is significant to keep a healthy lifestyle. Simply configure the advanced setup wireless settings.
By following the steps above, you can successfully manage the wireless ability of your Netgear router.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.