Wondering how to set up Xfinity cable box?
Fortunately, Xfinity has made it really accessible for any user to install their set-top box and start streaming immediately so let’s learn how:
To set up an Xfinity cable box, start with revising all of the delivered equipment and placing the cable box near a power and service outlet, as well as a TV.
Then install all of the cables involved in the setup, turn on the TV Box, and activate it at xfinity.com/activate!
Let’s probe deeper into this topic!
Hooking Up Xfinity Cable Box – Explained!
Setting up your Xfinity TV box is a simple task, as long as you have a guide such as this one especially if that’s your first Xfinity TV box.
You can begin when all of the equipment and everything with your subscription has been validated.
- The most important factor is that all subscription dues are paid!
Preparation – Revise the Equipment!
Here’s a list of all equipment needed for installing the TV box:
- A Coaxial cable
- An HDMI cable
- An A/C adapter
- Ethernet Cable (Optional)
- The remote control
Info: If you have all of the items from this list accounted for, you are ready for setup!
Easy Steps For Setting Up Xfinity Cable Box!
Our steps must be followed in chronological order to set up your Xfinity cable box!
1. Connect the Wiring!
The most forward step is to place your cable at an appropriate position and install the necessary cables.
As we’ve already clarified, three cables have come along with the cable box – a coaxial cable, an HDMI cable, and an A/C power adapter.
How to Install the Power Adapter?
- Connect the first end of the power cable, to your box.
- Plug the other end of the cable into a wall outlet.
- Turn on the wall outlet’s power (through the switch).
How to Install the Coaxial Cable?
- Plug the first end of the coax into the service outlet.
- Connect the other end of the cable to the “Coax In” on the box.
- Wait for the service light to come on.
How to Install the HDMI Cable?
- Plug the HDMI into an HDMI input on your TV.
- Connect the other end to the “HDMI” port on your cable box.
- Head into the TV’s source menu and select the box’s input.
How to Install an Ethernet Cable? (Xfinity X1 Wireless Series)
- Connect the Ethernet to your box’s Ethernet port.
- Plug the other end into the Xfinity gateway.
- Check if the LED status of the Ethernet light will change.
Info: With Xfinity’s X1 wireless series, the service is delivered to your cable box through the home internet gateway, so there’s no need for a service outlet connection.
Power On the TV Box!
Now that we’ve established the wiring harness of your cable box, the next step is to power the device on and verify that the power supply is active.
- To power on your Xfinity TV box, press the power button for 2 seconds!
Info: Holding the power button for longer will reset the TV box so avoid this!
3. Setup the Xfinity Remote
Now that we know how to set up Xfinity cable box it’s time to configure the remote as well so we can freely interact with the TV box.
Here’s how to set up your Xfinity remote control:
- Take the remote out of the package.
- Remove the plastic cover of the device.
- Eject the battery compartment cover.
- Verify that there are batteries inside.
- Point the remote towards the cable box.
- Hold the “Setup” button on the remote.
Info: As soon as a button is pressed on the Xfinity remote, the TV box should detect the RF signal and the programming should happen automatically!
4. Acquire Xfinity Used ID & Password
Next, you need to acquire your Xfinity credentials and there are different ways to do so:
Ways to Receive Xfinity User ID and Password?
- During account setup
- Via phone by calling 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)
- Through the “My Xfinity” App
Note: The activation of your Xfinity cable box may take up to 20 minutes!
5. Activate the Xfinity Cable Box!
The next and most important step is to activate your Xfinity cable box. Upon subscribing to Xfinity, you’ll be provided with a user ID and a password that is used for signing in.
When you’ve acquired the Xfinity User ID & password, follow the steps below:
- Visit xfinity.com/activate through a browser.
- Enter your account credentials.
- Insert your account number and phone number.
- Wait while the box is activated.
Info: Once your Xfinity service has been activated, you’ll receive an SMS on the phone number you’ve inserted during the activation.
6. Test the TV Cable Box
After activating your cable box and service, it’s recommended to test the cable box and determine if all channels and/or on-demand streaming is available.
For this purpose, you’ll only need the Xfinity remote and the TV guide of the Xfinity cable box.
- Turn on the cable box and go to “Watch TV”!
Notice: Based on the clauses of your subscription, you should have all of the content you’ve signed up for.
If there are any issues with the available broadcasts, it’s best to contact Xfinity!
Xfinity TV Box Not Working – Reasons Why?
In case you’ve followed the steps below and the Xfinity TV box is still not working, we’ve prepared a quick troubleshooting guide.
The steps below will help you overcome any hurdle related to Xfinity TV box issues so let’s jump right in:
- Reconnect the Xfinity TV box power adapter!
- Check whether the power source is working.
- Do not plug the Xfinity TV box into a power strip.
- Check whether the HDMI cable to the TV is intact.
- For internet issues, reboot your network router.
- Try multiple input sources on your television.
- Xfinity account limitations or not activated yet.
- Call Xfinity Customer Service for more assistance!
Tip: Use the live chat option to speak with a support representative!
How To Customize Xfinity TV Box? (Best Settings)
Next, you should customize the user settings of your Xfinity cable box, according to your personal preferences for streaming.
Though there are no mandatory settings you should adjust having a general idea of what options your box has is always recommended!
Device Language – Adjusts the preferred operational language of all menus and settings!
- Go to Menu > Settings > Device Settings > Language
Closed Captions – The so-called “CC” customizes enables/disables the feature.
- Navigate to Menu > Settings > Accessibility> Captioning
Parental Controls – Distributes the streaming access and applies age restrictions.
- Go to Menu > Settings > Parental Controls > TV Rating Locks > Movie Locks
Picture Quality – Change the screen resolution and the quality of the picture.
- Go to Menu > Settings > Display > Video Output Resolution/Video Display Format
Audio Settings – Enables and disables surround sound and adjusts the audio quality.
- Can be found at Menu > Settings > Audio > Output Audio/Surround Sound
Info: Once you’re done with configuring the settings of your cable box, exit the “Menu” page and navigate to the “TV Guide”.
You’ll be able to initiate your streaming from there!
Xfinity TV Box Owner Rewards?
With Xfinity, not only you’ll receive one of the most reliable TV services, you’ll become eligible for the onset of perks by the provider.
- Movie nights
- Early access to games
- Product discounts
- Family activities
- Tickets, and gift cards
Info: Based on how long you’ve been a client, all of these perks will be refreshed regularly and you’ll have monthly access to all of them!
Now we know how to set up Xfinity cable box and we’ve learned that starting from the box, we need to connect all cables in order to power on the device.
The next step is to activate the Xfinity service by signing into our account using the provided credentials!
Read Next: Xfinity Cable Not Working But Internet Is? – Here’s How to Fix
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.