How to set up Freeview? This question may have come to your mind, especially if you have just gotten your new Freeview device.
Although this entertainment service provides you with a set of instructions on installing their platform, you may still experience some issues along the way.
This is because the instructions manual of Companies is often short or not understandable to all.
In this guide, we will be tackling these quick and easy-to-do installation techniques, as well as some tips to get the latest channels on your television screen.
Because of its in-demand service, there are tons of ways to get Freeview on your devices.
Whether you want this entertainment platform installed on your television or handheld device, you can try out the steps below:
- Freeview Ready TV
- On Smart TV
- Using Set top Box
How to Setup Freeview Ready TV
The easiest way to set up Freeview on your big screen at home is to purchase a Freeview-ready television.
Since this TV service has partnered up with some of the UK’s most popular TV brands, many modern television models now come with a pre-installed Freeview app.
Below is a general guide for setting up this service:
- Plug-in your television into the power outlet
- Insert a new set of batteries into your remote
- Plug-in your aerial cable and then switch on your television
- Once turned on, you should see an option to tune your device
- Click Yes and wait for at least three minutes until you get all the available channels in your area
- Afterward, press the Save button
If you have a newer smart TV model at home, you can get the Freeview On Demand app as long as you have a stable and reliable internet connection.
Since different brands may have varying ways of setting up this app on their operating software, here is a quick overview for installing this entertainment service based on your TV model:
How to Set up Freeview on Panasonic TV?
Panasonic offers one of the most affordable deals in the market.
Below is how you can get the app on your television:
- Switch your Panasonic TV off and wait for a few minutes before turning it on again.
- Hold down the Apps button on your remote control and wait until you get redirected to the Panasonic Apps home screen.
- If you see the Freeview On Demand app installed, make sure to update it to its latest version. Otherwise, go to the Apps Market.
- Look for the app and press install.
How to Setup Freeview Box
Since purchasing a new television may be too costly for some homeowners, you can get your very own set-top box instead.
The most sought-after box is obviously Manhattan Box. Although setting up might be more complicated, we have summarized its instructions below.
The instructions are almost the same for all boxes.
Step #1: Prepare Equipment
When you receive your newly purchased Freeview set-top box, you need to check if you have a complete set of equipment.
A typical package would include the following:
- Set-top box
- Power cable
- Remote control with batteries
Aside from the equipment above, you also need to prepare a working HDMI cable, aerial lead, and of course, an installed TV aerial.
If you have missing materials, you can quickly get them from any nearby electrical shop.
Step #2: Plug-In Aerial Lead
Once you have your equipment ready, the next thing you need to do is to connect your aerial cable to the aerial port found on your set-top box.
Typically, this socket includes any of the following terms:
- RF in Antenna
Step #3: Plug-In HDMI Cable
Afterwards, plug the HDMI cable into its respective sockets on your television and set-top box.
However, you may need an RF modulator if your TV does not have an HDMI port.
Step #4: Turn on Television
The next thing to do after connecting the HDMI cable into its respective ports is to place your television on standby mode.
After a few minutes, switch it on.
Step #5: Plug-In Power Lead
With your television turned on, plug in the power cable into your set-top box.
Make sure the connection is tight before turning it on.
Your television should automatically detect your device, but if not, visit the AV1 channel.
Step #6: Tune Your Device
Once your television has detected your set-top box, you should see an option to tune your device.
Click Yes and wait for at least three minutes until you get all the available channels in your area.
If your device does not automatically start tuning, below is how you can do it on your own:
- Press Menu on your set-top box or remote
- Choose the Installation option found on the screen. If prompted for a passcode, enter 0000 or 1234
- Press First-Time Installation or Full Retune and press OK
- Wait for at least three minutes until you get all the available channels in your area
- Afterwards, press the Save button
Step #7: Access Any Channel
After your device finishes tuning, you will now gain access to thousands of radio and TV channels on your television screen.
Freeview Setup Reminders
Since Freeview is a subscription-free digital TV service, there are some reminders and advice that you should know, especially after setting up.
Below is an overview of these handy tips:
- Update your equipment regularly
- Ensure you have at least 2 Mbps
- You can visit this website to check your internet speed
- Get a TV license
Read Next: How to Fix Freeview Signal Problems?
Wrapping It Up
Freeview is one of the leading digital TV services here in the UK that provides you with subscription-free programs on your screens.
With its broad range of devices, we hope that this guide teaches you how to set up Freeview at home.
Next Guide You May Refer: Check out this guide on how you can retune the Freeview Box or TV.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.