If you are looking for how to make Alexa louder than 10, you have come to the right place.
We know how frustrating it can be trying to get something from Alexa without success.
This often happens in a noisy environment. With Alexa’s volume capped at 10, you might want to find an option to increase the volume.
To increase Alexa volume, log in to your Alexa app and select Devices on the menu. Under devices select Amazon Echo and scroll to find your device. Tap on your device and use the Slider to adjust the volume to 100%.
This will increase the volume to the maximum available option.
Setting the volume to 100% is similar to setting it to 10 in numbers. This means that you cannot exceed the maximum volume for general use.
However, there are ways to make your Alexa volume louder as we will see.
Why Make Alexa Volume Louder Than 10
In considering how to make Amazon Alexa louder, we should first answer why.
It is not common for users to want to make Alexa louder. The reason is that the system may sometimes sound too soft.
The other common reasons for making Alexa louder are:
- To increase the volume to match your preferences.
- To make it easier to hear Alexa’s responses from a distance.
- To improve the overall listening experience when using Alexa.
- Some users may have hearing impairments and need the volume to be louder.
- To enhance the sound quality of music or other audio played through the device.
- To use Alexa as a speaker for a gathering or party.
Steps On How To Make Alexa Louder Than 10
The fact is that you cannot make any Alexa device louder than 10. While sometimes the device could be irritatingly low, the option to make it louder than 10 is not available.
Basically, the best option is to ensure that the volume is set to the maximum possible.
With that said, there are steps you can take to make Alexa’s volume better. If you feel that the volume is too low, you can adjust the settings and improve reception.
Below are some ways to improve Alexa’s volume.
Solution #1 Turn on Adaptive Volume
Adaptive volume is a feature that allows Alexa to increase volume past your settings depending on the noise level.
If you are trying to communicate with Alexa in a noisy room, Adaptive Ambient volume increases the volume.
You can turn on this feature by going to the Alexa app under Settings. Select Alexa Preferences, and tap on Voice Responses.
Once there, you can toggle on Adaptive Volume. This feature is applied account-wide and will work on all of your Echo devices.
Steps to enable Alexa’s Ambient Volume:
- Go to your Alexa app
- Tap on the “More” button
- Tap on “Settings”
- Scroll to “Alexa Preferences” and select “Voice Responses”
- Tap on the “Adaptive Volume” toggle to turn it on
- The feature is now enabled on all of your Echo devices
Solution #2 Connect Alexa to a Bluetooth Speaker
Ideally, you will get better sound quality if you use a speaker.
If you think the volume 10 on Alexa is not enough, simply pair it to a Bluetooth speaker. This should provide a volume louder than 10.
How to pair Alexa to Bluetooth speaker
- Open the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Navigate to the “Devices” menu.
- Select “Echo & Alexa”
- Choose the device you wish to connect.
- Tap on “Bluetooth Devices” and then select “Pair a New Device”.
- Once paired, you can adjust the volume on your Bluetooth speaker
Solution #3 Increase Alexa Volume From the App
For some reason, setting your Alexa volume from the app tends to be louder.
While this will not increase volume past 10 it will make your device sound a bit louder. One benefit of the Alexa app is the ability to adjust the volume with more precision.
To change the volume on an Echo device using the Alexa app, follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa app
- Tap on “Devices” at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Select “Echo & Alexa”
- Locate the Echo device you wish to adjust and tap on it
- Use the audio slider at the top of the page to change the volume by sliding left or right.
Note: The volume on the app is indicated in percentage.
This is the same as the numbered option. Setting to 10 is equal to setting to 100%.
Solution #4 Increase Alexa’s Volume Using Buttons
The other option to adjust the volume on Alexa is by using buttons. The problem is that Alexa may sometimes fail to respond if you are connected to Bluetooth.
If you will be using this option, make sure you adjust your volume before connecting to Bluetooth.
Steps to adjust the volume on different Echo devices:
- For newer Echo devices press the “+” or “-“ buttons on the top of the device.
- For devices with a volume ring, rotate the volume ring on the top of the device Clockwise to increase the volume
- Rotate the volume ring Counter-clockwise to decrease the volume.
- Observe the light ring to see the current volume level in white.
Solution #5 Adjust Volume Using Voice Command
It is common knowledge that you can adjust your Alexa volume using voice commands. The only problem is that most people do not know how to use the command appropriately.
If you just say “Alexa, add volume” the volume will be increased by 1. If you want to increase to a specific level, you should be specific.
Here are the steps to increase Alexa volume by Voice Command
- Say “Alexa” (or the wake command you have set) to wake up your device.
- Ask Alexa to increase or decrease the volume by saying “Alexa, increase the volume” or “Alexa, lower volume.”
- To adjust the volume between 0 and 10 say “Alexa, set the volume to 6” or “Alexa, volume 6.”
- Ask Alexa to mute or unmute the audio by saying “Alexa, mute” or “Alexa, unmute.”
- Confirm the volume level by asking “Alexa, what’s the current volume?”
- If you want to change the volume increment or decrement, you can say “Alexa, volume up/down by 5” etc
- Repeat the steps as necessary to adjust the volume to your desired level.
Note: You should not issue an overcomplicated command since the device might be unable to process it.
Use simple commands such as the ones above.
Solution #6 Make Alarm and Timer, Volume Louder
One of the reasons people search for options to increase the volume above 10 is to adjust the Alarm volume.
When you set your Alarm, it will usually ring at the same volume as other Alexa functions.
However, if you want the Alarm or timer to ring louder, you can set a default volume for them in your settings.
Steps to set default volume for notifications, alarm and timer:
- Open the Alexa app and tap on “More”
- Tap on “Settings”
- Tap on “Device Settings”
- Select your Echo device
- Tap on the Gear icon
- In the General section, tap on “Sounds”
- Adjust volume slider as desired.
Note: Changing the overall volume of your Echo device in the future will not affect the alarm and timer volume.
If you need to adjust these volumes you will do so in the same process as above.
If you are looking for how to make Alexa louder than 10, you have your answer. You can increase Alexa volume all the way to 100% from within the app or by following the other options.
You can also increase your volume much higher by using Bluetooth speakers. However, you can not drag the volume bar past 10 to 11 or more.
Read Next: How to Restart Alexa After Unplugging? – Complete Steps
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.