Alexa offers a convenient way of doing things and that’s why most people search for how to enable Alexa calling.
You might expect that Alexa calling will be a straightforward process. On the contrary, you must make some configurations before you can make calls.
We will be breaking down all the steps to set up both Alexa calling and messaging for you.
To set up Alexa calling, you must first configure your Alexa echo device.
With that, you should give your Alexa permission to access your contacts. Alexa will be allowed to make calls when you issue a command. You can also enable Alexa to Alexa calling through the Drop-In feature.
The steps to set up Alexa calling are not as complicated as you might expect. You can simply set up your device in a few minutes and you will be ready.
Keep on reading to find out how.
What Is Alexa Calling and How Does It Work
Before we look at how to enable Alexa to make phone calls, we must first consider what it entails. Both Alexa calling and messaging are free services supported by the echo device you use.
This feature is available on all types of Alexa devices.This feature gives you permission to initiate a call from either your Alexa app or from the echo device to your contacts.
It gives you permission to initiate Alexa calls and messages as well. You can also make calls to other mobile phones and landlines.
Note: While Alexa Calling requires that you provide your phone number, it does not use your calling and messaging plan data on echo devices.
You may only use your plan if you are calling via your phone.
Steps on How to Enable Alexa Calling and Messaging
With all the benefits of this feature, you may be itching to know how to register for Alexa to Alexa calling.
This is the main aim of the post. There are just about five steps involved and you will be set to start making calls. Let us dive right into it.
Step #1 Configure Alexa and Echo App
The first assumption in place is that you already have an echo device and the Alexa app downloaded on your phone.
We are going to walk through the steps to set up your app and echo device.
This is the first step you should undertake if you are yet to link your app and echo device.
How to set up an Amazon Echo device
- Plug your echo device into a Power Source
- Open the Alexa app on another android or iPhone
- Tap on More and Select Add Device
- Tap on Amazon Echo
- Select your specific device on the list of available options
- Follow the prompts on your screen to complete setting up the device.
Step #2 Login and Add Your Phone Number
Alexa will need your phone number to make calls. As mentioned, your plan will not be affected. The phone number is only used for identification purposes.
How to add a phone number to Alexa
- Open your Alexa app and log in
- Tap on the Conversation Icon on the menu
- Select Get Started
- Select your Name if it is available on the list or select “I’m Someone Else.”
- Once you confirm your Name, hit on Continue to move to the next step.
Note:The name you select is the name that will be used to identify you to those who receive your calls.
If you share your Alexa with other users at home, do not use their names to set up your Alexa device.
Step #3 Give Amazon Alexa Permission to Access Your Contacts
Next, permit the Alexa app to access your contacts. If you will be making calls with Alexa, both the app and the echo device must get this permission.
This way, you are able to initiate a call from either the app or the echo device.
How to give permission to Amazon
- After hitting Continue above, you will be taken to the Permissions page.
- Tap on Give Permission to allow Amazon to update your contacts on Amazon.
- Enter your phone number and select Continue
Note: If you do not give permission, you may not have access to all your contacts.
You may only be able to call contacts that are already available on Amazon.
Step #4 Verify Your Contacts and Start Making Calls
To prevent a situation where you provide an invalid phone number, you must verify your contact.
This is an important step since the number you provide, will be used as your phone number on all calls.
How to verify your phone number
- Tap on Receive Verification Code
- Enter the verification code you will receive in a text message from Amazon.
- Tap on Continue to complete setting up your Amazon Calling
- Once you finish, a conversation page will open up where you can receive Alexa Messaging messages
- Tap on the Person Icon to view all your Alexa contacts
- Tap on any contact to start a call, text, or message them
Note: You can also use voice commands to make calls or send messages to your contacts.
However, it is important you get the names of each contact clearly to avoid calling the wrong person.
Step #5 Set Up Alexa Drop In
The beauty of Alexa is the ability to perform tasks without getting physically involved.
Alexa Drop In is a feature that allows you to connect hands-free with all your echo devices.
You can enable this feature in your Alexa app by giving permission to yourself and other contacts.
On most echo devices, Drop-In might already be enabled. However, if it is not you can take a few steps to enable it and start enjoying hands-free calls.
- Open your Alexa App
- Click on your Hamburger Icon at the top left corner of your screen
- Tap on the Settings Icon
- Choose the Echo Device you are using
- Select General and tap on Drop In
- You can decide to turn Drop In on for every device in your house or you may turn it on for one device
- If you do not want your Alexa to interfere with your work, set up the Do Not Disturb Feature
How to Make and Receive Alexa to Alexa Calls With Alexa Drop In
After activating Drop In on your app, you can select a device to drop in. This is applicable to homes where there are several Alexa devices.
From your Alexa app, open the Conversation tab and select the Drop In bar. Tap on the device to drop in.
How to drop in a device from Alexa echo
- From your Alexa device say “Alexa Drop In (Device Name)”
- The ring at the top of your current Amazon device will turn green
- When you hear a beep, the device you have dropped in as a call will be Connected
- To end the session, any person at either end can say “Alexa hang up”
Note: For Alexa to Alexa, calling connection works better when you are in the same locality or the same house.
If you call a person that is in a far off location you may not have a clear connection or communication.
The steps on how to enable Alexa calling are direct and simple. Even so, you must be careful not to miss even one step in the process.
You must first ensure that your app has permission to access all your contacts. If the app does not have permission all our commands will not result in action.
Besides synchronizing contacts and giving permission, you must enable the Alexa Drop-In feature.
It is only through the Aexa Drop-In feature that you will be able to make Alexa to Alexa calls.
Finn Wheatley holds a Master’s Degree in Computer Science from UCL, London. He helped small data science consultancy firms, helping large corporations to grow their data capabilities, deploy advanced machine learning-based analytics and troubleshoot tech-related issues.