Are you trying to figure out how to connect old Sky box to TV? You don’t need to look any further because you’ve just found the best debugging article on the subject.
Here you’ll find the best ways to connect your old Sky Box to your television, as well as other critical aspects to be aware of.
Make sure the HDMI wires are connected if your old Sky Box is linked to a TV or a smart TV. Next, check sure your device’s firmware is up to date by power cycling it. Finally, connect the Sky box to the TV with a SCART cable.
Let’s take a look at the several easy approaches we may use to accomplish the above before we start the process of connecting your old Sky Box to your TV.
How To Connect Old Sky Box To Smart TV Or Normal TV?
Fortunately, there are only a few ways to connect your old Sky box to your TV. To begin with, we will look at connecting via HDMI cables, this is the simplest and most efficient way.
Using a scart lead is another method that would work to connect your skybox to your TV.
It would be a good idea to run through a power cycle and make sure everything is up to date once a connection has been established.
Let’s take a look at the methods to connect your old Sky Box to your Smart TV:
- Use HDMI Cables – Connect your Sky box to your TV using an HDMI wire as usual.
- Scart or Aerial RF Output– Connect your Sky box to your TV using a Scart or aerial RF output.
- HDMI to Scart – Sometimes your TV might not have a Scart socket, so you can use an adapter to help resolve that.
- Power Cycle – Power cycle the Skybox once a connection has been found to make sure it’s all up to date.
Let’s move on to the finest how-to steps to help the query now that we’ve looked at the primary possibilities.
How To Connect An Old Sky Box To A TV? – Methods
Make sure you have your old Sky Box, HDMI cables, a Scart cable or Ariel RF, and/or an HDMI to Scart adaptor before we begin.
You may not require all of them at once, but if one way fails, be prepared to obtain the necessary accessory.
Let’s start with the first solution and apply it in the following order:
Method #1 Use an HDMI Cable to Connect
If your Sky box doesn’t have an HDMI port, you’ll need a converter or a used Sky+HD box (models DRX890 or DRX895)
So that’s it, it is a few easy steps:
- All you need is an HDMI cable.
- Connect an HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your Sky box.
- Connect this to an HDMI port on your TV.
Note: There’s no need to fine-tune anything.
Simply turn on your Sky box to watch Sky, and your TV may automatically switch the input to the HDMI port.
If it doesn’t, utilize the input button on your TV remote (it might be labeled source or AV rather than input).
Method #2 Use a Scart Cable
Much like the above solution, it is as simple as connecting the box to the TV.
Please note that not all Sky Boxes have a Scart connecter, so that will only work for certain models, make sure to check your Sky Box beforehand.
- Locate a Scart lead.
- Locate the Scart port on the back of your Sky Box.
- Insert the plug.
- Locate the same port in the back of the TV.
- Connect the cable to the TV
It is as simple as 5 steps, now you should be able to use your Sky Box as normal!
Method #3 Use a HDMI to Scart Adapter
If your Sky Box only has an HDMI Port but your TV has a Scart port or vise versa, and your box has a Scart port, but your TV only has an HDMI port, then you will need an adapter.
These can be purchased cost-effectively from such sites as Amazon and eBay.
Once you have secured the adapter:
- Connect the appropriate Scart or HDMI port to the Skybox.
- Connect the other end to the Smart or Normal TV.
- Check the connection to make sure your Sky is working.
Your Sky system should now be up and running on your TV, if this is not the case, please move on to the next solution.
A possible power cycle could get your system up and running again so you can enjoy your Sky subscription.
Method #4 Carry out a Mains Reboot
Just to make sure that your Sky Box is in the best working order, we would recommend performing a power cycle, also known as a Mains Reboot.
- Remove the box from the power source for three minutes.
- While reconnecting the socket to the mains, press and hold the buttons on either side of the select button on your Sky box.
- The box light will change color after 20-30 seconds; wait 20 minutes for it to return to red.
- Click TV Guide on your remote control and you should be good to go.
Should you require any further assistance, please do reach out to the Sky Support team for further troubleshooting tips and tricks.
They may be able to assist you with different methods on how to connect your old Sky Box to your TV.
Read Next: Why is Sky Box Not Recording Scheduled Programs?
Thus, to connect old Skybox to TV, first hard try using an HDMI cable as this is the most frequently used method of TV connection. Next, if your box doesn’t have an HDMI port, we would recommend using a Scart lead. Lastly, if you have a Scart port on your box but not your TV, then purchase an HDMI to Scart adapter cable.
We’re convinced that now that you understand why and how to connect old Skybox to tv, you’ll be able to resolve the problem without the need for outside help.
Getting in touch with a technician, on the other hand, is always a good idea because they’ll tell you exactly what’s wrong with your Sky box or TV and what you need to do next.
Kevin has over five years of experience working in various Tech startups and providing Technical solutions. He has contributed to many Tech publications and websites.